Menu

Paper Sensory Issues

I once worked with a kid like that. She used dry erase boards and/or a boogie board. After writing on the board, her mom would scan it in to the computer.

When an assignment requires writing in a notebook, could she type the work, print it out, then put that in the notebook? That is what mom DS does for most of his work. He does not have an adversity to paper, just to handwriting.

• Like 2

So the bond determines the smoothness?

Yes-there are a range of paper types, so it may be worth it to try some and see what works. It also may help to use pen vs pencil and try different types of pens. The scratching of pencils used to drive my DD crazy, and the interaction between pen and paper can make a big difference in feel. Sometimes figuring out sensory stuff is kind of like doing one of those escape rooms. Blindfolded.

• Like 3

So the bond determines the smoothness?

Even with the same bond, the "slickness" can vary.    I have a child who doesn't like certain brands of copy paper, but notebook paper is ok.

I *think* the bond is more of a reference to the "paper weight" rather than texture.  So cardstock is 80# (or greater)whereas copy paper is around 20#.  Think of resume paper ... their weight i(26#?) s heavier than copy paper, but they also have a variety of textures (linen, inket compatible, etc.)  Or even consider traditional notebook filler paper compared to recycled notebook paper.  The recycled variety is much rougher/scratchier, IMO.

If it's the feeling that is irritating, you can try wearing long sleeves and hope that reduced skin area will help.  You could try putting a transparency or page protector on top of the notebook & writing on that.  (Then take a picture after it's complete.)  You could convert the pages into an electronic format (either scanning it or using an app) and then mark it up on a tablet (using Notability or some other mark-up app).  Admittedly, that's going to require a lot of work on your part.  Personally, we did a lot more assignments orally and writing on the whiteboard (and taking a picture afterward if necessary).  One advantage to taking all the digital pictures is that reduction in paper clutter!

But like a PP said, consider that it might be the sound or the feeling of the pencil against the paper.  Try ballpoint pens, gel pens, fountain pens, etc.

Good luck trying to figure it out.  But take solace that your DC isn't the only one.

• Like 1

My dd has one notebook that she dislikes using. For some reason, the paper feels awful. I have found that more expensive paper feels better than cheap paper. Also, a pen that writes very smoothly (like Sharpie brand; not an actual Sharpie marker, but a Sharpie brand pen) helps as well.

• Like 1

Staples has a line of nicely smooth paper notebooks. They are spiral bound and hardcover. The logo looks like a convoluted M in a circle and underneath it says by Staples: Notebook. Premium heavyweight paper. On the website they are called Staples Business Notebooks.

http://www.staples.com/M-by-Staples-Business-Notebooks-Coilbound-8-1-2-x-11/product_803211?externalize=certona