Menu

Well Worth it Subscriptions

hadera

Hi! I am looking at various types of subscriptions for my children. I took both of my kids out of school in the past 6 months and I am finding that one child in particular needs a more relaxed approach to learning.   I am considering everything from websites, magazines to tinker crate type subscriptions. We have had Tinker Crate in the past as a gift and will probably do that one again. Which ones have you enjoyed in your home and would recommend? Thank you!

BrainPop - expensive but DD watches it extensively. I'd just watch the free videos for a month to see if they hold interest before forking over the money.

The Happy Scientist videos

Any and all age-appropriate magazines from the Cricket magazine company

Highlights

We've gotten Surprise Ride boxes for a couple months now and I'm reasonably happy with them, but not wowed. But I've never been wowed by any of the subscription boxes, so YMMV.

• Like 1

I have been very happy with many subscription services I have gotten for my kids:

- Learning Ally audio books.  DS11 was diagnosed with a learning disability so we qualified.  We read dozens of books from the service every year.  It's like have a library at home.

- IXL.  I get the whole range of subjects.  When the kids need extra practice on a grammar or math concept, I assign a 'medal' (work a topic to 70).  If they get it wrong, it will explain why their answer is right.  Endless, digital worksheets they can do over and over again if needed. Great for spiral review.

- Tinker and Doddle Crates - will be a life saving as I will be dealing with a major medical issue this year and might not have much energy to put together labs and projects.  I'll tell the kids to grab a box on my bad days and have at it!

- Scholastic Magazines.  I use several and it helps the kids make connections and learn more about the world around them than just a textbook. I do math, science, current events, as well as art and Spanish. Expensive, yes, but great for open and go, engaging material. 

I am trying a new subscription course program, Homeschool connections, for several subjects.  So far, it is a little slow for my kids as the classes are recorded live internet classes from previous years. The teacher is often side-tracked by the students' behavior, questions or whatever. I figure it's training for my kids when they return to high school that not all 'lectures' will be about them, and they need to pay attention out of respect even if the material is 'boring'. 

• Like 1

Mystery Science is free for the entire year (or it was a few days ago....) There may be some parental involvement needed though.

I second IXL as useful for independent, spiral review of many topics.

I was looking at purchasing a GIzmos subscription on Homeschoolbuyerscoop.com. It looks pretty interesting and the cost is reduced with the group buy. If you are not a member yet it's free to join. They also offer reduced rates on many other subscriptions such as IXL.