Menu

Tween boy and puberty -- best books for him?

I'm wondering what books everyone uses for this subject. My 10 year old son is having a lot of questions and starting to have crushes, curious about sex, etc.

Any thoughts on books? These seem to be recommended:

This one gets quite a few negative reviews though:

https://www.amazon.com/Its-Perfectly-Normal-Changing-Growing/dp/0763668729/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Gets more positive reviews than the previous:

https://www.amazon.com/American-Medical-Association-Guide-Becoming/dp/0787983438/ref=cm_rdp_product

It's So Amazing, It's Not the Stork, and It's Perfectly Normal is a series by Robie Harris for young kids, upper elementary/middle, and middle/high, respectively.

The reason these books get so many negative reviews is that they take a fairly liberal position on sex and sexuality (less obvious in Not the Stork, more so in Perfectly Normal). If this works for you, then these are good, reassuring books that will answer all of your son's questions.

• Like 2

I tried these:

https://www.amazon.com/Shelley-Metten-M.S.-Ph.D./e/B00KB8X2OC/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

I usually try to check the negative reviews to get the details of what is in the book. Even if I don't agree with the review, the negative ones usually provide details.

I do this, too. It can give me a more accurate feel for whether the book selection would work for our particular needs. Also, I often find negative reviews were based on shipping issues or something else unrelated to the content which unfortunately makes a book look bad when it had nothing to do with the book itself at all. Edited by OneStepAtATime

It's So Amazing, It's Not the Stork, and It's Perfectly Normal is a series by Robie Harris for young kids, upper elementary/middle, and middle/high, respectively.

The reason these books get so many negative reviews is that they take a fairly liberal position on sex and sexuality (less obvious in Not the Stork, more so in Perfectly Normal). If this works for you, then these are good, reassuring books that will answer all of your son's questions.

The biggest question is the discrepancy between your age ranges and theirs - it's perfectly normal says its for age ten and up!

The biggest question is the discrepancy between your age ranges and theirs - it's perfectly normal says its for age ten and up!

I know, but it just depends on the kid. If your ten year old is hitting puberty and asking the questions that Perfectly Normal answers, then you might as well provide the resource (if you're comfortable with it). Other ten year olds aren't there yet, and the Stork book would have everything they really want to know...if you check out the book samples, you can get a pretty good indication of what the books cover.

I know, but it just depends on the kid. If your ten year old is hitting puberty and asking the questions that Perfectly Normal answers, then you might as well provide the resource (if you're comfortable with it). Other ten year olds aren't there yet, and the Stork book would have everything they really want to know...if you check out the book samples, you can get a pretty good indication of what the books cover.

If you desire a book that is specifically Christian in its point of view, How You are Changing for boys (there is a girl book also, very similar), is really good.  It's in a series from Concordia Publishing House.  I like it much, much better than a different Christian series I tried once before (I think it was God's Design for Life or something like that).  

This series is excellent.