Menu

MM or Saxon for struggling Math Student

sbartow

Hi! I am really looking for some guidance.  My ds, 10 has a hard time with math.  We used MM 3 last year and I liked it but I can't decide if I loved it.  He would forget some things that we went over and I felt like I was constantly going over past topics. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like the spiral approach in Saxon might be better for him...thoughts? Or other suggestions? Thank you so much! 

Before you switch you might try making mm more spiral. For ods this year, I have mm4 planned like this:

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

First half chapter 3 and first half 4 in tandem

Chapter 1-2 cumulative review

Rest of chapters 3 and 4

Chapter 1-3 cumulative review

First half of chapter 5 and first half 6 in tandem

Chapter 1-4 cumulative review

Rest of chapters 5 and 6 in tandem

Chapter 1-5 cumulative review

Chapter 7

Chapter 1-6 cumulative review

First half chapter 8

Chapter 1-7 cumulative review

Rest of chapter 8

Chapter 1-8 cumulative review

Year end test

If that still isn't enough, then you might consider switching.

Edited by Syllieann

I can't help regarding MM or even Saxon for that matter, but we switched to Rod and Staff because one of mine was struggling. I can't tell you how much difference it has made. She is retaining so well now and has so much more confidence. But......I don't think that would be the case if I weren't using the teachers manual as written. Their review is wonderful and really keeps drilling what was already covered. Sorry - that doesn't help with your question about MM vs Saxon, but I considered Saxon when we switched to R&S.

• Like 2

I would not use MM for a struggling student. It is a challenging program, and although my mathy dd really liked it, we did get to the point where we felt that the complexity of the practice problems overshadowed the concepts being taught. Also, MM teaches several ways to approach various problems, and this resulted in my ds, who struggles with math, becoming confused and trying to combine elements of various approaches. My son does better with a very straightforward, spiral curriculum.

• Like 2

Hi! I am really looking for some guidance.  My ds, 10 has a hard time with math.  We used MM 3 last year and I liked it but I can't decide if I loved it.  He would forget some things that we went over and I felt like I was constantly going over past topics. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like the spiral approach in Saxon might be better for him...thoughts? Or other suggestions? Thank you so much! 

Saxon isn't spiral; it's incremental, which is different. :-)

Have you given him the placement test? If he can place into Math 54, then I'd say do that. If not, then no.

Have you looked at Rod and Staff's math series? There is no placement test, but you can request free curriculum samples and a scope and sequence from the publisher; those might be enough for you to know whether or not it would be a good fit for your ds. Call the publisher at (606) 522-4348.

• Like 1

I use MM w/ my kiddos who seem to do really well with it and pick math up without much trouble.  I like Saxon for the ones that need more review.  I also staggar MM similar to the PP.  I print out 2 chapters at a time, and we do one page of each one everyday. 

I would not use MM for a struggling student.  We haven't used Saxon so I cannot comment on it.  I have found the Math U See has worked wonders for my struggling student.  You might want to give it a look.

Wanted to add that MM worked and is working great for my 2 that don't struggle with math.

Edited by My3girls

MM was a mixed bag with my older DD who struggles with math.  Ultimately it became to complex too quickly and we dropped it and switched to something else.  So, choosing between Saxon and MM, I'd choose Saxon at half speed (take two days per lesson, unless it's a really easy topic).  Also, don't treat Saxon as 'self-teaching,' because it's not, despite how some typical learners are able to use it.  Plan to provide direct instruction for each lesson.