Menu

Beach Hajib

poppy

I'm sitting here at a beach , my kids are having a blast. There is a family next to me where the mom is in a beach hajib- I saw these in the news because of the French town that banned them but I've never seen one in real life before. I think she is brilliant . I am covered in sunscreen and sand, have a towel draped over my shoulders but will still be at least pink by dinner time. And the sand in my legs is itchy . I am jealous of this lady frolicking around , swimming, with none of my problems.

• Like 18

Yeah, I have a swim skirt with attached capri leggings from Lands End and a long sleeved rash guard.  My dd has a long sleeved rash guard and swim tights from Swim Outlet.  We avoid the burn!

I wonder if Nice would think my outfit was a burkini.  My cousin said it looked like a 20s swimsuit.  I don't care.  It's awesome.

• Like 8

I'm sitting here at a beach , my kids are having a blast. There is a family next to me where the mom is in a beach hajib- I saw these in the news because of the French town that banned them but I've never seen one in real life before. I think she is brilliant . I am covered in sunscreen and sand, have a towel draped over my shoulders but will still be at least pink by dinner time. And the sand in my legs is itchy . I am jealous of this lady frolicking around , swimming, with none of my problems.

Lands End markets them in the middle east. Search for Burkini.

That's "hijab", isn't it?

I looked it up - it sounds seriously shaky to me.

Oh, definitely. The rationalization is "We must free those poor women from their shackles" but the truth is certainly "We don't want to see Muslims being Muslim on our beaches".

• Like 17

That's "hijab", isn't it?

Oh, definitely. The rationalization is "We must free those poor women from their shackles" but the truth is certainly "We don't want to see Muslims being Muslim on our beaches".

It's that, but more ... the French are seriously freaked out by signs of "extremism" (their words) after the recent spate of attacks, esp. the Bastille Day massacre in Nice. And yes, they see the women wearing this garb as oppressed. Out of morbid interest, I've been following this situation in French, as in this article today.

I am another person who voluntarily covers as much as she can (mostly I hate sunburn; partly modesty), so I'm curious if my wonderful "20s swimsuits" would be deemed inappropriate. I've been to Nice, and the men all wear Speedos and many women go topless. Oh, and the French also say the burqini shows "poor morals" ... really? :glare:

Here is a great photo of covered-up nuns frolicking on a beach ... 

• Like 3

It's that, but more ... the French are seriously freaked out by signs of "extremism" (their words) after the recent spate of attacks, esp. the Bastille Day massacre in Nice. And yes, they see the women wearing this garb as oppressed. Out of morbid interest, I've been following this situation in French, as in this article today.

I am another person who voluntarily covers as much as she can (mostly I hate sunburn; partly modesty), so I'm curious if my wonderful "20s swimsuits" would be deemed inappropriate. I've been to Nice, and the men all wear Speedos and many women go topless. Oh, and the French also say the burqini shows "poor morals" ... really? :glare:

Here is a great photo of covered-up nuns frolicking on a beach ... 

I think it's just more than the recent attacks, though I am sure that kind of thing wil always make people more jumpy.

It sounds really awful, but there really seems to be something about French culture that allows for this, and it was going on in other scenarios well before the attacks, both in France and Quebec (check out the Quebec charter controversy.)  That just seems like the latest rationalization to me, moving along from safety, security, and secular values.

From what I read, it is specifically the fact that it counts as a religious symbol, and a Muslim one, that they are offended by, so others covering up, and apparently other religious garments and symbols won't be banned.  I'm not sure if that is better or worse than if they were.

• Like 1

I've got one of these (hooray for Amazon prime):

https://www.amazon.com/Al-Sharifa-Womens-Swimsuit-Islamic-Swimwear/dp/B00D5CJJYS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471898016&sr=8-1&keywords=al%2Bsharifa%2Bswimsuit

(no idea if that link will come across okay, but you can search Al Sharifa swimsuit on amazon)

I'm an American muslim and I've tried a few brands of swimsuit, but I like this one the best so far. For women who want to wear it as coverage from the sun and not actually use the hair covering, you can just kind of flip it off of the head and it will sit easily at the back of the neck (it's not too much fabric in the head covering). It's not bad to swim in either :)

I find the ban in those cities in France sad. I look back at pictures of women's swim attire in the early twentieth centuries and you can find beach police measuring the length of women's swimwear to make sure that it was long enough. Now we have to ask exactly how much coverage is too much? Wet suits are okay, but not Islamic swimsuits. It's always women whose agency is taken away, and it is my understanding that it was an altercation between men that served as the trigger for the latest ban on Muslim women from public beaches. *sigh*

• Like 10

There have been recent articles which mentioned that it is not only Muslim women who wear burkinis, although non-Muslims wear them without the hood. My red haired Scottish friend has one. And Nigella Lawson apparently wore one when in Australia. I think they wete estimating about 10% of sales to non-Muslims.

• Like 1

...But hey, if that's what it takes for women to swim with their kids, so be it. Before burkinis, the same women sat poolside and watched the kids. More fun for both mom and child this way.

Exactly. I cannot fathom how government officials who claim to want to "protect" or "liberate" Muslim women do not realize they are only limiting and restricting us with this ignorant policies.

Oh, a Muslim woman took the initiative to design and market a swimsuit that allows her to maintain her religious principles while actively participating in public life. Can't have that. She must choose whether she wants to be "modern" and "secular" or true to her faith. Aren't these the people who are complaining about Muslims not integrating? How are they supposed to when such roadblocks are constantly erected, preventing their integration unless they break their moral standards in order to fit in. Is that what integration is supposed to mean?

As for the comment about the nuns on the beach, it is such ignorant assumptions that feed these policies. In fact, both situations are identical. Both nuns and Muslim women have chosen a religious life and the clothing restrictions that brings. That is the entire point. The vast majority of Muslim women living in the West dress as they do out of personal religious convinction, sometimes going against the wishes of their family who would prefer they "blend in" to make their lives easier. This is absolutely the case for converts, obviously. Clothing restrictions such as the burkini ban are not liberating. They are removing choice and free will from women who choose to dress modestly based on their religious principles.

Regarding the strange obsession French culture, both in France and Quebec, seems to have with restricting religious expression, it mostly boils down to 2 historical phenomena: the fight against the oppressive power of the Catholic church in their societies, resulting in the "cult of secularism", and a large Muslim immigrant population, which has pushed religion back into the public sphere, after they fought so hard to remove it. Not a justification, but an explanation.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

• Like 7

I really enjoyed observing them last year at a waterpark when there happened to be a ton of Muslims that day. I had seen a few before, but it was kind of fun to see all the different burkini styles on display all at once. There was one slide that didn't allow them (older slide - they also made me remove my rashie, which almost stopped me riding it, honestly, because all I had on under was a tiny bikini top that I'd never usually go out in public in, but I decided I was okay with taking it off and sticking it right back on). The full covering part looks comfy. The head part would bother me swimming, but I can't even manage to wear a hat for the beach, which I know is bonkers, but I don't like things on my head. 

I am so dumbfounded by the bans in France and other places. So much for liberty and freedom. It is so obviously one sided and discriminatory. 

I mean they single out Muslims. What if a non-Muslim wants to cover completely due to skin cancer?? (Like my American neighbor who wears long sleeve rash guard and long swim "pants" with board shorts over it in her own backyard pool after 3 rounds of skin cancer.) Are they going to check if it is sold as a "burkini" before they allow her to wear it?? Or since her name is not Muslim, they'll let it slide??  :glare: So if a Christian wears one of those long swimsuits I've seen online, will she be fined????

As a convert we choose this life, including the clothes we wear. So do many women raised Muslim who move overseas. At this point I am worried for all my nieces, SILs (who all live in Europe), and even my own children in this country. I know more women who wear the hijab or niqab or abaya DESPITE their families preference they "blend in". I even know several who divorced over this (wife wanted to cover, husband was more westernized). 

I think a big sit in needs to take place in France and any other place that bans them. But then they would probably arrest them all as terrorists for standing up for their freedoms! SMHHH! I am so angry about this and I don't even know how to swim (nor does anyone want me in a burkini, trust me). 

• Like 1

Put in a nifty Lands End order today, thanks for the tips everyone!

I used to be in favor of French style bans. I am a fully paid up member of the 'cult of secularism' :)

However, bans aren't suitable for my country. All bans would do here is isolate girls and women and reduce their participation in sports and civic life.

I personally feel that covering is a cultural choice rooted in misogyny ( and yep, that goes for nuns too ) but that doesn't mean I need to kick up a fuss about a woman in a burkini. It's better for all of us that she feels comfortable participating in AU life - and you can't get much more stereotypically Australian than being able to swim at the beach.

Full participation in a range of cultural activities can only be good for women and children, and trumps my personal critique of female covering.

How is a women wearing a hijab suit and different than a woman wearing a tankini top?  There is no real reason for men to go topless but not women. But I know very, very few women who'd be OK with going topless (even if it were legal in the  US).   Our culture says "women cover their breasts", Muslim women has a different tradition, but really it's all just cultural.  We cover for modesty. Modesty likely rooted in religious tradition and body shaming. Two things which I don't want any part of....... but even so, I have ZERO desire to go bottoms only!

When I was a child visiting France, my host family wanted me to wear a topless swimsuit. They considered this normal for prepubescent children, both boys and girls. I was mortified and insisted on wearing a t-shirt to swim. I was then chided for creating the inconvenience of having to lug a wet shirt home from the beach. My point is that modesty is so culturally specific. It's way more than just religion. I was a completely secular California kid who couldn't get it right. My heart goes out to French Muslims who just want to be comfortable at the beach, just as I wanted to be.

• Like 4

I think the ban is ridiculous. It is an article of clothing. A sensible one at that, eliminating the need for sunscreen by providing head-to-toe UV protection. In 30 years half the women on the beaches might be wearing them.

Which leads me to my question. I am not Muslim, but would consider wearing a burkini for UV protection. There is a history of melanoma in my family and I already try to cover as much of me as possible at the beach. Would it be considered inappropriate for me to wear a burkini? I don't want to offend anyone and am not sure if a burkini is more of a modesty item that fits with Islamic tradition, or an actual religious symbol that should only be worn by Muslims.

Here is a really cute burkini that I would consider wearing:

https://www.amazon.com/YEESAM®-Swimsuit-Islamic-Swimwear-Beachwear/dp/B00L4A2BKW/ref=pd_sim_468_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=KJ1GM0GR87HGPA5A2AEQ

I think the ban is ridiculous. It is an article of clothing. A sensible one at that, eliminating the need for sunscreen by providing head-to-toe UV protection. In 30 years half the women on the beaches might be wearing them.

Which leads me to my question. I am not Muslim, but would consider wearing a burkini for UV protection. There is a history of melanoma in my family and I already try to cover as much of me as possible at the beach. Would it be considered inappropriate for me to wear a burkini? I don't want to offend anyone and am not sure if a burkini is more of a modesty item that fits with Islamic tradition, or an actual religious symbol that should only be worn by Muslims.

Here is a really cute burkini that I would consider wearing:

https://www.amazon.com/YEESAM®-Swimsuit-Islamic-Swimwear-Beachwear/dp/B00L4A2BKW/ref=pd_sim_468_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=KJ1GM0GR87HGPA5A2AEQ

Wear one and rock it!  :thumbup1:  That is so nice! I would wear that outfit as regular clothes if it wasn't ya know spandex LOL!

Someone might say Salam to you if they saw it or even realized what it was. But it is not a "religious" clothing item. Just a fashion item that meets certain modesty requirements.

• Like 3

Don't you have nude and topless beaches there ? I can choose to swim topless or nude if I was so stupid as to expose that much skin to the burning sun.

I couldn't go topless at the pool, whereas a man can.

It's silly that men's nipples are fine and women's are shameless. I can see double standards in more than one culture at a time.

No, women being topless is illegal in the US. There are state laws exempting breastfeeding mothers from this.

Wear one and rock it! :thumbup1: That is so nice! I would wear that outfit as regular clothes if it wasn't ya know spandex LOL!

Someone might say Salam to you if they saw it or even realized what it was. But it is not a "religious" clothing item. Just a fashion item that meets certain modesty requirements.

Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know. :)

Huh. Learn a new thing every day.

You have NO topless beaches ?! That seems extreme.

Lol, that's what most Americans think the first time they visit a European beach. What!? Topless women, in public, in front of everyone, including families! That's extreme :)

Which brings us back to our topic. I may not approve of topless sunbathing, but it's none of my business, as long as I have the right to choose not to go topless. These burkini bans amount to telling women they are not welcome at the beach unless they expose body parts they are not comfortable exposing.

What has happened to "live and let live"? The world has gone mad, but I guess we knew that long before these bans.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Edited by AHASRADA
  • Like 4

I swim in an elbow length rash guard and boardshorts with a cute, flippy skirt. I sat in the water a lot so it is really nice that I only have forearms, hands, fave/neck to reapply sunscreen to and I am seeing this more and more often. I find it rather ridiculous that the Burkini is looked down upon but a scuba wet suit is not.

My boys wear elbow rash guards and fairly long swim trunks because they barely tolerate sunscreen on their faces and necks.

• Like 1

No, women being topless is illegal in the US. There are state laws exempting breastfeeding mothers from this.

Huh. Learn a new thing every day.

You have NO topless beaches ?! That seems extreme.

Actually, this depends on the location. We do have topless and nude beaches here, they are just not very common.

• Like 3

Actually, that's simply not true most places. I know it's legal in New York, for example. There was a court case in the 90's over it, IIRC, and the women who wanted to be topless won. And this article implies that it's not explicitly illegal in most states:

http://time.com/3834365/map-topless-laws/

It's not so much that it's illegal, it's that it's not culturally common or acceptable the way it is in many parts of Europe on the beach.

ETA: Oh, here's a little NPR piece about that NYC court case I remembered. It was apparently the 80's, not the 90's.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/08/24/434315957/topless-in-new-york-the-legal-case-that-makes-going-top-free-legal-ish

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 6

Actually, that's simply not true most places. I know it's legal in New York, for example. There was a court case in the 90's over it, IIRC, and the women who wanted to be topless won. And this article implies that it's not explicitly illegal in most states:

http://time.com/3834365/map-topless-laws/

It's not so much that it's illegal, it's that it's not culturally common or acceptable the way it is in many parts of Europe on the beach.

ETA: Oh, here's a little NPR piece about that NYC court case I remembered. It was apparently the 80's, not the 90's.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/08/24/434315957/topless-in-new-york-the-legal-case-that-makes-going-top-free-legal-ish

Yep. It's actually legal to be topless in most states. We have a beach close to us that is known for being topless.

Modesty is such a funny thing. I always find it odd how certain clothing is acceptable at the pool, but not at church... but fine if you go to the pool with people from church. I'd die if a neighbor saw me in a tank top and undies... but I'd go to the pool with the same neighbor in less clothing than that. Cultural rules are so weird. And, yet, we all know and follow them.

• Like 8

We have several women at our Y pool that wear burkinis.  It does seem weird to me to have some women fully covered next to those in a more revealing bikini, but if I'm honest, it's me wishing the bikini would go away, not the burkini.  :)

I occasionally swim with orthodox Jewish women, too, who wear similar suits.  But they are less common, because I think that many of them choose to not swim with men (and I swim at public pools).  

• Like 1

I think since the specific purpose of a burka or hijab is not just to be modest, but rather specifically target women and shame them and keep them from equality, it is not ok. Simply wearing a scarf on your head is not Muslim. Wearing a big hat or a swimsuit that covers more skin is not automatically a burkini. I think women are just as valid as men. They are not filthy and dirty things that must be watched and disciplined by men. And they are not out to do bad things when they leave skin uncovered. Accepting the burka is accepting a degrading view toward women and a complete lack of equality.

If you want to stay covered up at the beach, then go for it. But that doesn't make your garnent a Hijab or a Burka or a Burkini.

I think since the specific purpose of a burka or hijab is not just to be modest, but rather specifically target women and shame them and keep them from equality, it is not ok. Simply wearing a scarf on your head is not Muslim. Wearing a big hat or a swimsuit that covers more skin is not automatically a burkini. I think women are just as valid as men. They are not filthy and dirty things that must be watched and disciplined by men. And they are not out to do bad things when they leave skin uncovered. Accepting the burka is accepting a degrading view toward women and a complete lack of equality.

If you want to stay covered up at the beach, then go for it. But that doesn't make your garnent a Hijab or a Burka or a Burkini.

So..if an Orthodox Jewish woman or a nun are covered, that's okay, but not if a Muslim woman is?

• Like 4

The more I think about the ban on burkinis in 15 French cities, the angrier I get. Who are they to tell women they can't wear clothing that is comfortable and religiously acceptable to them on the beach? It's shameful and ridiculous.

just because something is done in the name of religion does not mean it is ok. There was a woman who unstrapped her child from the car seat and was breastfeeding the baby is the front seat. She contested it based on that her religion says she has to obey her husband and her husband told her to. She should be exempt from child safety laws? There was a child whose mother always picked her up in a burka. The staff did not know what the mom looked like. They released the child to a stranger in a burka. The child was taken off campus and raped. The parents still think that the mom should not have to show her face to pick up a child. What if men think they don't have to pay the women as well or promote them at work, or even hire them because their religion says they believe women belong at home. Some Christians do that. I know Christians that believe girls should not be taught math or science and should not be allowed to go to college. Is this ok, just because their religion says so? what if a baby has pneumonia that is treatable but the parents want to wait for God to heal her? Is this ok? After all, it is their religion.

Just because a religion endorses it does not make it ok.

• Like 4

As a devout sunblock-aholic, I think burkinis are fine, but I don't think face masks are okay at all. Elizabeth Smart -- remember, who was abducted in her home -- was paraded around in plain site with a burka on and a face covering.

I think religious-wear is fine, but I don't think masks on the face should be allowed in society.

Alley

• Like 7

I used to live in a city where women were legally permitted to go bare chested out to face the day. No beach there though lol

We have several women at our Y pool that wear burkinis.  It does seem weird to me to have some women fully covered next to those in a more revealing bikini, but if I'm honest, it's me wishing the bikini would go away, not the burkini.   :)

I occasionally swim with orthodox Jewish women, too, who wear similar suits.  But they are less common, because I think that many of them choose to not swim with men (and I swim at public pools).  

There are some women-only swims at pools here, mostly Muslim women with the occasional Jewish woman mixed in  (we have a lot of Muslims here but few orthodox Jews.)

I think since the specific purpose of a burka or hijab is not just to be modest, but rather specifically target women and shame them and keep them from equality, it is not ok. ....Accepting the burka is accepting a degrading view toward women and a complete lack of equal

Factually incorrect from stem to stern.