Menu

Novare science

Has anybody used Novare's Earth Science text? I am looking at it on the website and really think my younger kid will like it - much simpler than Tarbuck text, normal book shape (talk about strange reasons, I am looking at you CPO), color…. It is all perfect, except it's Christian. They aren't YE, so scientifically there shouldn't be an issue, but if every other page is filled with references about god, it probably isn't the best fit for us. We are secular, but I don't mind occasional references, just not like in Rod & Stuff (we tried, couldn't, couldn't do it). 

I know Novare has secularized versions of chem and physics, but not earth science. 

• Like 1

We are using it this year.  It is very nice looking!  We just finished the first chapter, and there were two paragraphs that discussed Christian views, with scripture, about how the earth seems to be designed by God specifically for life and for declaring the glory of God.  I didn't see anything specifically Christian in Ch. 2.  Ch. 3 is about half Christian material, because it is about how Christians ought to think about earth science.  Ch. 4 moves on to minerals and there isn't any Christian references in the whole chapter.  So, the Christian content is in there, but it's not on every page.  

• Like 1

We are using it this year. It is very nice looking! We just finished the first chapter, and there were two paragraphs that discussed Christian views, with scripture, about how the earth seems to be designed by God specifically for life and for declaring the glory of God. I didn't see anything specifically Christian in Ch. 2. Ch. 3 is about half Christian material, because it is about how Christians ought to think about earth science. Ch. 4 moves on to minerals and there isn't any Christian references in the whole chapter. So, the Christian content is in there, but it's not on every page.

I am going to ask you later this year again once you covered more ground. The book looks just right. We can absolutely skip a paragraph here and there!

• Like 1

Has anybody used Novare's Earth Science text? I am looking at it on the website and really think my younger kid will like it - much simpler than Tarbuck text

Yes, same here.  I bought the Novare Science for Earth and I like it better than Tarbuck for the exact same reason as you!

I am actually going to use both books, depending on the subject. I am a geologist, so I am alittle particular. The Christian content is not in the science part.  You can easily skip (Chap. 1) or disregard a section here or there.  It is OE.  Chapter 11 is a great explanation of why we have OE and YE and how it came about.  It is section.  You don't like it you can skip it the section.  It doesn't mix the science with scripture like Apologia.

I highly recommend it and if you want the answers to the text questions, plus lab ideas, quizes and tests, get the CD!  It also has a suggested schedule.

Oh, I forgot to add, it has some math problems regarding earth science.  I like how it mixed some simple math into the curriculum.  This my ds really needs to see how science will mix math into the curriculum in the middle school years.

Edited by Nicholas_mom
  • Like 3

Yes, same here. I bought the Novare Science for Earth and I like it better than Tarbuck for the exact same reason as you!

I am actually going to use both books, depending on the subject. I am a geologist, so I am alittle particular. The Christian content is not in the science part. You can easily skip (Chap. 1) or disregard a section here or there. It is OE. Chapter 11 is a great explanation of why we have OE and YE and how it came about. It is section. You don't like it you can skip it the section. It doesn't mix the science with scripture like Apologia.

I highly recommend it and if you want the answers to the text questions, plus lab ideas, quizes and tests, get the CD! It also has a suggested schedule.

Oh, I forgot to add, it has some math problems regarding earth science. I like how it mixed some simple math into the curriculum. This my ds really needs to see how science will mix math into the curriculum in the middle school years.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the detailed review!