Menu

Accountability Thread: 8/21-8/27

Last full week of August. September will be here before you know it! We have a math quiz and a Latin quiz to wrap up this week, but technically we are on scheduled break for a week. Today I need to get through some laundry, the chicken house needs cleaning, and we need to get groceries for the week.

Then we will be off chasing waterfalls.

• Like 3

Chasing waterfalls sounds fun!

I'm still trying to pin down schedule stuff with my kids. I'll be working on that today. Plus church. Dd8 is giving a talk in Sunday School (only needs to be a minute or so) and I need to help her prepare.

• Like 3

I also have to decide what planning to do on what day this week. I need to tackle Grammar and Composition, but I think I'd be better off working through French and Latin tomorrow. I'm going to have a few hours at home by myself, and that would be a really good opportunity to watch a few of the video lessons that I have to get a feel for the time required to watch them how to schedule them in the week. 

I'm thinking...

Monday: Watch CAP French, MP Third Form, CAP Art of Argument (all first lesson) and time them. Look over materials for all three to decide how to schedule for a 4.5 day week.

Tuesday: Plan Grammar and Composition, take a crack at Literature.

Wednesday: Dentist. I plan to mope all afternoon, but if I'm not grouchy, I could look at Geography and Art.

Thursday:Science and History.

• Like 3

Last full week of "old" school before we start the new schoolwork next week.

I've been trying to figure out DD's extracurricular schedule for the upcoming school year. I'm not sure I'm going to have her be on the T&T team this year. Last year was awesome and I wouldn't trade it, but she was at the gym 5-6 days a week and didn't really progress in her skills (it was mostly polish, polish, polish), not to mention the expense of the multistate/national meets. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way for her to 1) progress in her skills, 2) not be at the gym every single day, 3) still see her friends on the team, 4) not travel, 5) still compete locally, 6) get all the exercise she needs (it's a lot) and 7) not break the bank. Also, DD REALLY loves being on the team. Any suggestions?

Edited by Aurelia
  • Like 4

I've been trying to figure out DD's extracurricular schedule for the upcoming school year. I'm not sure I'm going to have her be on the T&T team this year. Last year was awesome and I wouldn't trade it, but she was at the gym 5-6 days a week and didn't really progress in her skills (it was mostly polish, polish, polish), not to mention the expense of the multistate/national meets. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way for her to 1) progress in her skills, 2) not be at the gym every single day, 3) still see her friends on the team, 4) not travel, 5) still compete locally, 6) get all the exercise she needs (it's a lot) and 7) not break the bank. Also, DD REALLY loves being on the team. Any suggestions?

I don't know. I don't really see how one can progress in skills and not be at the gym every day of the week. And team is going to involve travel, lots of time and lots of money. 

Does she do other extracurricular activities? It may be getting close to that time in her life when she has to make some choices in how far she wants to go in a sport, and what has to give for that to happen. Can't do it all, unfortunately. To improve in her skills may involve looking hard at another coach and another gym. That would mean meeting new people, learning how to get along with new teammates, etc.  Or she may elect to stay with this team, but has to give up something else to put in more time at the gym working at a higher level. 

• Like 3

My major goal for this week is to potty train ds4. He is all set to attend a 4 day a week Montessori preschool (which I hope will be a great fit for him...) beginning next week--but he has to be potty trained first.

and he really is not interested

• Like 4

Tomorrow starts our school year. my goal for this week is to get into a morning routine where we are all productive and work as a team. First thing will be a small chore for everyone(gathering laundry, straightening up bedroom, etc.) Next phonics and handwriting while the other parent makes breakfast. then Eat and talk about what is happening that day. Last we'll say bye to dh and get math done before taking a nice long break for outside play and another small chore.

• Like 5

Well, ladies, it's probably time to get back in the saddle again. Sigh. When I was planning the year's work, I was excited about it. Tonight, with tomorrow morning looming, I am dreading another climb.

At any rate, we had Orientation this past week, along with getting our feet wet with a few things. One of the girls capped off her summer by finally getting her two-night sleepover at Grammy's. The other girls, who had already gone to their grandmother's house earlier, worked on crafts, exercising, and organizing. We're caught up on most of the housework, except for laundry, which is never done. All the prep work for the entire school year is done.

I don't know why I'm dreading tomorrow.... Someone please tell me that it won't be terrible, that the year will go along smoothly, and that we will all be proud of ourselves when we cross the finish line of 4th, 4th, and 6th in June.

June! :svengo:

Edited by Sahamamama
  • Like 3

I don't know. I don't really see how one can progress in skills and not be at the gym every day of the week. And team is going to involve travel, lots of time and lots of money. 

Does she do other extracurricular activities? It may be getting close to that time in her life when she has to make some choices in how far she wants to go in a sport, and what has to give for that to happen. Can't do it all, unfortunately. To improve in her skills may involve looking hard at another coach and another gym. That would mean meeting new people, learning how to get along with new teammates, etc.  Or she may elect to stay with this team, but has to give up something else to put in more time at the gym working at a higher level. 

She can progress, though slightly slower, but it would still be an improvement over just repeating the same routines. 

She does gymnastics at rec level (reduced rate for homeschoolers, partly to help her advance in T&T), and occasionally horseback riding (no paid lessons) and trapeze (very occasionally, like 1 lesson every couple of months). She did choir last year, but didn't want to do it again, and she said she'd rather learn guitar on her own than take lessons. 

The nearest gym that actually does T&T is about 50 miles away, and they don't compete. (Also, I hate the coaching staff. DD took a class there several years ago and they very obviously played favorites, giving most of the kids almost zero attention.) The current gym is the only one in our state that competes at all, and we are not moving out of state. I am looking at enrolling her in a tumbling class at another gym (they do cheer and tumbling, no trampoline), which would help improve her floor skills, at least. I may schedule her for a class there the same day she has gymnastics to get all her wiggles out and hopefully eliminate one of the days we have to be out of the house. Even one more day per week at home would be great.

The thing is, the head coach is the one that sets the athletes' levels. If she says DD can't move up (last year it was because she needed "good" athletes at the easier level), she's stuck. I hate that. DD started taking rec artistic gymnastics because she wanted to be able to learn new skills, but she loves competing. The T&T team is actually less expensive than the gym team (I looked into joining, and it's almost twice the price per month, plus more expensive meets and leos). DD doesn't particularly want to do cheerleading (with her height, she'd always be a base, and she's not wild about that, she likes to fly - the reason we went to the trampoline gym in the first place), but she went to a clinic at the cheer gym and markedly improved from just the one class. 

• Like 2

Ugh! Dd woke up with a fever, the same fever the other 3 had last week. I guess today and tomorrow arent schooldays for her. This sort of throws my plans off entirely because generally when one of the kids is sick they want me next to them all day.

I'm hoping to keep my morning routine goal intact and just making the rest of the day a do whatever day.

• Like 1

and he really is not interested

I had one of those. :grouphug: Well, two, but one of them decided it was worth his time and the other required a major event in his life to convince him that he needed to get on with it.

I don't know why I'm dreading tomorrow.... Someone please tell me that it won't be terrible, that the year will go along smoothly, and that we will all be proud of ourselves when we cross the finish line of 4th, 4th, and 6th in June.

It won't be terrible. It will be fine.

I'm a little apprehensive about our week because for several days I will have to get up at five to get one of the older kids to work. I can't wait to get his car fixed!! We have a music lesson tomorrow and will finish our work from Friday and proceed with the rest of the week. 

Take it easy on yourself. Any time that I have to increase my involvement in the work week, I require more sleep. So be sure you are resting as well as you can.

Even one more day per week at home would be great.

It always seems to come down to how much time there is in a week and the balance, doesn't it?

I'm hoping to keep my morning routine goal intact and just making the rest of the day a do whatever day. 

It never fails. Set a plan and watch life wreck it. But this is a great time to figure out what you can do on an off day, because we all have plenty of those.

More about my day later. I've got to run.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

Okay. Back again.

Yesterday was fun, but dangerous. We did our first bushwhack trip to see a waterfall, and I did a major splatter on a rock on the way back down. Nothing broken, just skint and bruised, but I'm lying low today and trying to recover. 

Today's schedule:

Latin quiz

Math quiz 

Lunch

Boys to water park with Nana

For me: Writing, planning for French, Latin and Logic, Housekeeping, Nap, Fix something for dinner.

• Like 4

Well the morning has been running smoothly enough despite one sick child. The other 2 kids helped start laundry and cleaned their room. A bit of school has gotten done with my oldest but now I'm feeling run down. So either it is the start of sickness or pregnancy exhaustion. Either way I'm taking a nap when dh gets home for lunch. Kids will likely play Minecraft for awhile.

Tomorrow is another day. For now, I'm happy with how the morning went

• Like 4

Critter, I'm so glad nothing was broken but sorry you're all skint and bruised, I know how painful that can be.

Well, it was a pretty pleasant day! We had to cancel the music lesson because teacher had to take her dd to an appointment. We got our read aloud done over breakfast, yay!! Math, Latin and literature complete with guide was done for the oldest. I did have to promise him that I would worl with him on the guid until he was used to it. The youngest completed Latin, math, spelling and piano practice. I think we have a hit with spelling by sound and structure, Ds loves doing it!!

• Like 3

Monday (Day #1) ;)

Prayer

Bible lesson

History lesson & quiz

History memory cards

French orientation (our French set up for the year)

Vocabulary

Spelling

Assigned Independent Reading (with written work)

We were going to get to Math & Composition, and possibly Science, but got derailed by a phone call that I thought was from my daughter's friend, but turned out to be this friend's mother -- inviting us to the park! LOL. It was such a beautiful day outside, one of the nicest we've had in a long time (humid summer). We said yes, and I'm not sorry we did.

There were three sets of identical twin girls at the park today -- one set of 4 year olds, my 9.5 year olds, and a set of 17 year olds with long, brown braids. They all got a kick out of seeing other sets of twins. A cute line-up! :) A big crowd of kids, young and old, all playing together so well. It was great, and my friend (who also homeschools) and I got to talk shop.

A good day. Tomorrow, Math for sure. ;)

Edited by Sahamamama
  • Like 4

Planning went well. The boys took off for the water park with Nana, only to find out halfway there that it was closed! But they made a detour to the creek and had fun anyway.

I watched some French, Latin and Logic, and came away with an idea of how I want to structure the curriculum to match our goofy 4.5 day week. So that was something.

Still bruised up and sore, but hopefully I'll be better in the morning.

• Like 4

Nothing much to report. We did school. DD went to the gym.

She's all excited for tomorrow, though. She has her regular gymnastics class, a make-up one AND a private lesson (that she paid for herself). She is super-motivated to get her front handspring on vault.

• Like 5

I'm much less sore today. Yesterday was rough. I think the bruises are organizing and the muscles are slowly loosening up.

Today's schedule:

Writing

Housekeeping

Keeping the peace between the boys

Planning for Grammar and Composition

Cooking

Writers' group tonight

• Like 2

Today I'm feeling ill. No fever like the kids but my body aches and I'm exhausted. We've been doing school on the couch. The kids did their reading, we did dance party math, and have had a lot of free play with blocks, trains, and dress up. We'll do phonics in a bit and I'll read to them and we'll call it a day for achoolwork

• Like 3

Hjffkj, hope you feel better!

Hi, ladies mind if I join in the fun.  I defintely need some accountability!  We're selling the house in the spring, and I have a list a mile long of things to get done in addition to school and working part time.  Ugghhhh!

Today:

library to pick up books

school (still trying to figure out how to light a fire under my oldest)

change toilet seat and handle in kids bathroom

unclog tub drain (Draino didn't do it. I'm so not looking forward to this.)

change light bulbs on front porch lights

laundry (everyday. smh)

file and purge school tubs

The highlight of my day is that my youngest is voluntarily writing everything in cursive these days.  She's my only one who chooses it.  I have to make the other 2.

• Like 4

My3girls--a tip for using drains, boil some water and put it in the tub and then add the draino and see if that works. My dh had my Ds do that for the guest bathroom and it worked great. Oh and welcome to the thread!!

Hjffkj, I'm sorry you're not feeling well, I hope you feel better soon.

Critter-so glad those muscles are loosening up.

Our night was torturous, youngest Ds was sick and throwing up, took him to the doctor this am and he has a virus. Needless to say he didn't do much book work today, he did watch several episodes of Where On Earth is Carmen San Diego? And the Magic Schoolbus. Tomorrow, we'll probably watch the a few Liberty Kids episodes and listen to a book. The older did half of! his math lesson, finished his Latin lesson and did his literature complete with the guide again, he didn't have as much trouble today with the guide as yesterday.

• Like 3

Tuesday 8/23

Accomplished so far:

• Prayer (there cannot be enough of this, offered up on my behalf...)
  • Bible lesson
  • History lesson & quiz
  • Spelling (all 3)
  • Vocabulary (all 3)
  • Math (all 3)
  • Composition (all 3)
  • Assigned Independent Reading (all 3)
  • Piano practice (all 3)
  • French (2 out of 3)

Still to complete:

• Regular chores, meals, laundry, pets, exercise, hygiene, and family time; the girls are out in the yard, running & playing soccer, so it will be showers & supper when they come in, then...
  • Book Club Read Aloud: By the Shores of Silver Lake (new book tonight!) :)

My husband is "working from home" this week. He really is working, but he's cranky because we do annoying things, like teach and eat and speak and breathe. And, it's annoying to me to have to tip-toe around that nonsense, on this already difficult-enough First Week of Back-to-School.

Can you tell I'm irritated? :glare: I generally try hard not to be, but go the library if you want peace and quiet. I'm having a hard enough time, simply shoving your summer-saturated offspring back into the Disciplined Life and the Eight Essential Subjects, so why are you glaring at me? :toetap05:

Edited by Sahamamama
  • Like 4

My husband is "working from home" this week. He really is working, but he's cranky because we do annoying things, like teach and eat and speak and breathe. And, it's annoying to me to have to tip-toe around that nonsense, on this already difficult-enough First Week of Back-to-School.

Can you tell I'm irritated? :glare: I generally try hard not to be, but go the library if you want peace and quiet. I'm having a hard enough time, simply shoving your summer-saturated offspring back into the Disciplined Life and the Eight Essential Subjects, so why are you glaring at me? :toetap05:

I feel ya my DH works from home also... And is very sensitive to noise and clutter. It's a struggle!!

all of us not just mom and DD are adjusting to the new homeschooling thing :)

Edited by Shred Betty
  • Like 4

Well I'm not sick anymore but I'm so sleepy! Mornings are getting difficult since I'm not sleeping well due to pregnancy. Anywho, the plan for the morning is to just let the kids play while I do dishes and make coffee. Then I'll sit down to drink my coffee while they take turns reading to me. After that we'll do some math.

One thing I need to do before next week is find a good read aloud and probably an audiobook for the family during relax time

• Like 5

Sahamamama...  Omgosh!  I would go nuts if DH worked from home.  He occassionally is home for a day here and a day there, and it's so hard.  His mere presence is a distraction.  Hope y'all are able to work out a system that makes every one happy.

hjffkj...  Glad you're feeling a little better.  There is no tired like pregnancy tired.

Critterfixer....  eewww! the dentist.  So not fun.

Well, I got the tub unclogged.  Draino and hot water didn't work.  We had tried that previously.  However, thanks to youtube it was a very simple procedure.  I got the toilet seat replaced as well.  Unfortunately, I got the wrong flusher handle.  grumble grumble  I couldn't take going back to home depot today so I just ordered the (hopefully) right one off Amazon, and it will be here tomorrow.  School's going well.  DD14 is whizzing through Foerster Algebra which such a relief after slogging through AoPS Pre-A.  Little girls are struggling a bit with History Odyssey Middle Ages Level 2.  After 3 years of learning to summarize, they now freak out when the day calls for a summary.  Ugghhhh!  I truly believe it's because it's non-fiction that they are summarizing instead of fiction, and I don't understand why!  Hopefully, walking them through it for the first couple of weeks (or less?) will get them going on it.  I was so looking forward to a little more independence this year. 

• Like 5

FB posted a memory of DD's "back-to-school" pictures from 3 years ago and I got all nostalgic. She seemed so grown up then, but not compared to now! I need to take a couple of pictures of her with her new schoolbooks, since that's how we posed her past ones. Naturally, I'm waiting for some of them to come in, still. Oh, and I need to find a time when she's not all disheveled and sweaty from tumbling.  :laugh:

• Like 4

Wednesday, August 24 (Day 3)

I think the girls have settled back into the school day routine. Everything was done more cheerfully and with more joy today than in the past two days. So that was something to be glad about!

Regular chores, meals, pets, exercise, hygiene, and laundry

Phone calls -- (1) my endo for test results, (2) made an appointment for Squishy's annual check-up

Prayer & hymn

Science lesson & quiz

Spelling (all 3)

Vocabulary (all 3)

Composition (all 3)

Math (all 3)

French (all 3)

Independent Reading (all 3)

Piano Practice (2 out of 3)

Outdoor Exercise (2 out of 3)

Chess (all 3)

Family Time (all 5)

Early Bedtime (all 5) :)

• Like 3

After more than 16 years with the same charter school, we are now flying solo. Really, it is not much of a change since we worked independently, but it is still a bit liberating to not have to contend with the pressure to conform to the Common Core Standards in curriculum choices.

Edited by Ms Brooks
  • Like 5

Hi ladies! Here I thought I was the only one starting at this odd time, glad to see a few others starting up :).

I know I keep popping up here and there, telling you I'm back, then disappearing. Reality is that even though I LOVE this kind of thread and I love the ladies on here, I just don't seem to be able to find a reliable time to check in. I really don't like to start my day out on the computer, so my early morning tea/book time is out and then the day just gets away on me lol! But over the last year I've realized I absolutely NEED to take better care of myself so I'm hoping that if I set a time midday to check in - after cello practice, before afternoon school starts! - I'll be able to be more regular here. Fingers crossed!

So. Today is technically our first day. But dd9 is away at her dad's :P. But the boys really want to start early so they can go hunting in September with their grandparents so I'm hoping this will all work out somehow. The morning went fairly well - as good as first days usually go, but a little better with one less student! Math may be the toughie as so many days off have gotten everyone out of practice! Found a few little kinks to be worked out, but really, pretty minor, all things considered.

This afternoon we tackle Memory Work, "morning time" and writing. I'm planning on using IEW A as my main writing lessons, but with dd9 gone I think we'll do a lesson from CAP Narrative 1 instead.

Okay. Just made myself a chai tea. Will go chill it in the freezer before adding milk so I can have it iced while we get the rest done. Just send the two youngest to chill in their rooms for ten minutes. They've played so well together for hours, I think they need a break from each other!

• Like 4

Thursday, August 25 (Day 4)

Prayer

Bible lesson

History lesson & activity

Math (all 3)

Grammar (all 3)

Spelling (all 3)

Independent Reading (all 3)

Piano Practice (all 3)

Junior Bible Quiz (all 3)

Outdoor Exercise

Chess/Free Time

Family Movie Night

Regular chores, meals, exercise, hygiene, pets & laundry

Tomorrow's Plan: We'll do a half-day of school work (Math + Composition + something from Group Work + something from Independent Work), then the girls will have the rest of the day to themselves. They are planning a Teacher Appreciation Day, to be held on Sunday afternoon. They tell me that they need "time to rehearse." This ought to be good. ;)

Saturday: Another half-day of school work, followed by hours and hours of overdue yard work. Baths, then bed.

Edited by Sahamamama
  • Like 4

After more than 16 years with the same charter school, we are now flying solo. Really, it is not much of a change since we worked independently, but it is still a bit liberating to not have to contend with the pressure to conform to the Common Core Standards in curriculum choices.

http://gradespelling.com/

OR

https://www.spellingcity.com/

OR

http://spellingclassroom.com/login/

• Like 3

the whole. Rest. Of. The. Week. Sleeping by 12:15.

Daily housekeeping project

Daily boat keeping project

Daily exercise

Daily laundry

Orders placed - grill solution, DH work clothes, puck lights

School fun and not pressured

Wish me luck! Lol

This week is going pretty well so far. I'm just bumping this to keep myself accountable ;)

• Like 2

Well, I didn't get to history or science yesterday, but I got 2500 words on my novel. I also got the housekeeping done, did the library trip and cooked a nice supper. A good day.

Normally I work on Friday, but I have an unanticipated day off today. I actually didn't sleep well. I think I was too excited to sleep. :laugh:

Today's schedule:

An hour or so of writing and music. I want to get through the rest of the scene I started in on yesterday.

Take a break, and go sit on the porch unless the mosquitoes are fierce. I'd be out there right now, but they were ravenous this morning.

Write up the school planning for this fall, sans history and science, unless I decide to scope that out, and I might.

No cooking

No housekeeping

Maybe a nap.

• Like 3

Half of the week was successful. The second half not so much. I'm just feeling extra overwhelmed because dh's work schedule is crazy in the summer and now that we're at the tail end of it all the frustration is catching up to me. Luckily, This should be his last super long and hectic week!

So for today, reading, math and phonics will happen and then we will be going on a hike in the state park.

• Like 1

Had another good morning. Less issues than yesterday so we got some twinges taken care of I guess. My preschooler leaves to stay with my mom for a week and my dd9 is back from her dad's on the same day, so next week will probably be about the same. Actually, if I'm being honest, my 9yo dd probably about as much work as my 3yo dd! Drama, drama, drama lol.

This afternoon will do another CAP Narrative 1 lesson, memory work and a few light things for "morning" time: Mad Libs and a few picture book read alouds I think.

• Like 1

We had marching band practice for 4 hours this morning then add in the 1.5 hrs there and the 1.5 hrs back then running some errands while we were out.  I'm whipped.  We'll read tonight, but that's about it.  Tomorrow is chore day and then I work tomorrow night.  Sunday, we head to our Landry Academy Lab Intensive for Biology.  We'll be gone 3 days. It's gonna be a crazy week.

• Like 2

Friday, August 26 (Day 5)

We had sort of a half-day of school today, because the girls wanted to "rehearse" for Teacher Appreciation Day, which is to be held on Sunday. ;) This was their own idea, and I like being appreciated, so I decided to go along with it.

School:

Math (all 3)

Grammar (all 3)

Spelling & Vocabulary (all 3)

Composition (all 3)

Assigned Independent Reading ["A.I.R."] (all 3)

Book Club: By the Shores of Silver Lake

Life:

A restful morning (I needed it today)

Cleaned entire upstairs (hubby & me)

Free time in the early evening (girls)

Long, intense workout (me)

Meals, chores, laundry, pets, exercise, hygiene & rest

Tomorrow's Plans: Another half-day of school (Math, Grammar, Composition (1 kid), something else?), followed by yard work. Or perhaps I'll send the girls out first thing after breakfast, to get in 2-3 hours of yard work in the morning, then come in & shower, then settle in to some school work, then perhaps a nap or quiet time. That sounds better, I think. Outside first. It's supposed to be a beautiful day here. ;)

• Like 3

We had marching band practice for 4 hours this morning then add in the 1.5 hrs there and the 1.5 hrs back then running some errands while we were out.  I'm whipped.  We'll read tonight, but that's about it.  Tomorrow is chore day and then I work tomorrow night.  Sunday, we head to our Landry Academy Lab Intensive for Biology.  We'll be gone 3 days. It's gonna be a crazy week.

Bets -- Reading this makes me tired! :svengo: Are you driving 1.5 hours TO band and 1.5 hours FROM band? Yeah, I'd be whipped, too. :grouphug: Hang in there.

I was in marching band in high school, and I loved it. Fun memories. Go Blue!

But we were in public HS, and we always walked, so my parents did no carting.

• Like 1

Saturday 8/27

Hubby & the two youngest did hours and hours of yard work. It's a start, but we need to put more hours into it as we go into the fall season. Finally, we have some tools that actually do the job, so that makes an enormous difference. Our old rake was shot, our old clippers were worthless, our old weed whacker lasted about five minutes. This new weed whacker is a monster, let me tell you. New tools, sweet!

My oldest & I did the usual indoor work all day -- cooking, cleaning, beds, bunnies, laundry. We kept people fed and hydrated, then got them washed and in clean clothes. And swept up all the dirt and grass they tracked back in all day long!

Tomorrow is church, then Teacher Appreciation Day. ;)

• Like 3