Menu

I need ideas for a fun k year!

Peaceful Isle

For Ds we had a great year learning about countries around the world, including making food from each one (many of those dishes are ones we now eat regularly). We stamped a play passport, coloured maps and flags, and read tons of books about each place.

We had fun reading fairy tales and Ds verbally told me his own versions, which I recorded and he illustrated.

We played lots of card games and math games.

We did FIAR and included grandma. They have very special memories of this time.

We did lots of art and music, read 2-3 hours a day, and played lots outside.

• Like 1

I am excited to be doing a year with PreK and K. We are doing an around the world thing similar to eagle above but we are adding animals around the world to it using one small square, Usborne wild places and Nature's children series of books.

We are adding in about 2 art projects, 1 or 2 sensory play ideas as well as a bit of gross moterms, music ect. For those ideas I used The Homegrown Preschooler and Wee Folk Art (I downloaded the original free units). I really like her schedule I did change it to encourperate our around the world studies and the phonics I have. There is a sample month of A Year Of Playing Skillfully on homegrown preschooler website that has a good scheduling idea as well. I think the activities is these two curriculums are really fun, but I like to pick to tailor to my own kids. I also made a monthly supply list so all my fun plans would happen😆 I have found that without a plan and supply list fun activities don't happen much around here.

I am excited to be doing a year with PreK and K. We are doing an around the world thing similar to eagle above but we are adding animals around the world to it using one small square, Usborne wild places and Nature's children series of books.

We are adding in about 2 art projects, 1 or 2 sensory play ideas as well as a bit of gross moterms, music ect. For those ideas I used The Homegrown Preschooler and Wee Folk Art (I downloaded the original free units). I really like her schedule I did change it to encourperate our around the world studies and the phonics I have. There is a sample month of A Year Of Playing Skillfully on homegrown preschooler website that has a good scheduling idea as well. I think the activities is these two curriculums are really fun, but I like to pick to tailor to my own kids. I also made a monthly supply list so all my fun plans would happen😆 I have found that without a plan and supply list fun activities don't happen much around here.

I am excited about my last year of K, haven't done it in awhile and wanted to make it fun.  We are doing a study the world theme and also community helpers "study" since I have neglected doing a lot of hands on things with him in his early years.  You can check out my blog below on my name which has a list of everything we are doing under curriculum for the year for K.  I'll post below a few ideas for what our geography studies will be like to get your creative juices flowing.  ;)  

http://homeschoolingmy3boys.blogspot.com/2016/07/2016-17-curriculum.html

Beginning Geography – (August-September)

o   My World map booklet- make and read Me on the Map (take pictures and make)

o   Continue sending Flat Stanley people when opportunity arises

o   Work on map skills- See Beginning Geography section 1 (directions) n/s/e/w game place cards on floor and have him go in that direction

o   Scavenger hunt using maps

o   Read How I Became a Pirate before going on hunt

o   Use a real compass to practice directions outside

o   Discuss classification of animals-

o   World map –Geopuzzles

o   Make a city with felt using maps with block center

o   Countries of the World & nature on certain animals – My Book House search- each month

o   Playdough on world map – place brown/green playdough on land

o   Continent and ocean song

o   Draw symbols on maps in sand tray

o   Discuss climates- ocean, desert, rainforest, grasslands, mountains

o   Talk about landforms and bodies of water- Beginning Geography section 2 –

o   Make a clay form and discuss varies bodies of water- island, make various landforms with clay

o   Landform story print out booklet

o   September – focus on State of VA

o   make a little state lapbook (printouts)

o   Color an outline of where our state is on map

o   Memorize capitol of VA

Country Checklist

o   Send out request for Flat Stanley each month***

o   Countries of the World – My Book House search- each month & Holidays and community helpers along with monthly events

o   Find on map and color (personal map)

o   Learn geography countries in that region (at least 5)

o   Learn to say hello and goodbye in that language

o   Explore animals in the area:  classify-land, sea and air – mammals, reptiles, birds, etc. (pick a few from list below and read about them) Use jars (blue water, soil, empty)

o   Use a ruler or tape measure to see how large each animal is

o   Explore landmarks – place on map and try to match name to object

o   On globe listen to info and their national anthem and flag

o   Explore climate – read encyclopedias or books

o   Explore plant life - read encyclopedias or books

o   Read various books on country

o   Art project – for that culture (Geography Through Art or Global Art projects)

o   Cooking project- for that area

o   Explore daily life in each area

o   Clothing that is worn – (Burma have shoes) Children Like Me

o   Look at homes types of houses-check book

o   Transportation- check book

o   Work on Geo Puzzle of the country

o   Copywork on continents

o   Stickers on world map – where to find

o   Use Atlas to look at what grows there and look at major rivers and oceans (Scavenger hunt sheet)

o   Google maps- explore other areas

o   Continue on with Flat Stanley project

o   Missionary stories with the Millers on areas that we study

o   Read folktale in that area

o   Figure out time difference in each country compared to us

o   Listen to some common music (World Music CD or World Playground)

o   Stamped passport (see printed and made stickers)

o   End- play people memory game

o   Read- Window on the World on each country

o   Check on Around the World for ideas beginning each study

Chapter Books for Each Country & Info on each country studying

NORTH AMERICA (August-September)

o   Alaska- Kalitan, Our Little Alaskan Cousin (kindle)

o   Seven Little Sisters Who Live on the Round Ball That Floats in the Air (kindle)

o   Missionary Stories with the Millers ch. 1, 22, 25, 28, 29

Animals: rattlesnake, beaver, cougar, iguana, black bear, raccoon, alligator, moose, pronghorn, bison, mountain goat, wild horse, river otter, falcon, scorpion, fox, coyote, puma

ASIA (October/November)

o   Twin Books – Japanese (kindle)

o   Burma Peeps at Many Lands (kindle)

o   Peeps at Many Lands – Japan (kindle)

o   Our Little Korean Cousin (kindle)

o   Hok-Hwa of the Waterfront – China Children’s Hour bk 9 p. 58

o   Monkey Spirit- China Children’s Hour bk. 9 p. 140

o   Bim’s Gift from the Forest (India) Children’s Hour bk. 9 p. 150

o   Rikki Tikki Tavi Children’s Hour bk. 14 p.257

o   Fairy Tales from Russia Junior Classics bk 1

o   Fairy Tales from India Junior Classics bk 1 pgs.

o   Missionary Stories with the Millers ch. 3, 8, 13, 15, 18, 19, 20, 23

Animals:  Red Crowned crane, Siberian tiger, golden haired monkey, yellow-throated marten, red panda, giant panda, golden pheasant, Chinese alligator, Asian elephant, Bactrian camel, fugu, Asian Black Bear, Raccoon Dog, Himalayan Wolf, Bird of Paradise, Indian Cobra, Snakehead fish, spiny-tailed lizard, gharial, indian peacock, Himalayan mountain goat, sunbeam snake, Sumatran orangutan, Siberian chipmunk, leopard cat, Chinese pangolin, indian rhinoceros, Siamese fighting fish, python, Japanese macaque, snow leopard, Chinese white dolphin, Asian giant mantis, Chinese tree frog, silkmoth, Asian shore crab, Asian forest scorpion, horned frog, finless porpoise, flying lemur, keeled box turtle, blue tiger butterfly, Japanese spider crab, giant pacific octopus, Samson snail, loggerhead sea turtle, yellow-lipped sea krait, squid, Arctic fox, oryx, snow leopard, water buffalo

Other ideas:  earthquakes, martial arts, play with tanagrams (Global art p. 52) 

ART:  (Stone inlay Global Art p. 57) Tet trung Lantern (Global Art p. 72), Japanese fan (pinterest account)  Recipe:  shanghai noodles, garlic sesame chicken? eat with chopsticks!  India:  eat with your hands rice

Find 2 rivers in China and 2 islands

HTH  :)

• Like 1

o Discuss classification of animals-

Homeschoolmom3, it sounds like you will have a great year! Your outline sounds very similar to what we did for country studies. It was so much fun.

The line about classification of animals jumped out at me. We recently got a card game on classification of animals that would work for K (the box says age 7, but we will be using it with a K4 student). It is called QuickPix: Not Just an Animal Game. You need to match animals to their correct taxonomy. It is a fun way to learn classification.

https://www.amazon.com/TaliCor-5512801-Quick-Pix-Animals/dp/B0009K6X7K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472150420&sr=8-1&keywords=quick+pix+animal

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 1

Homeschoolmom3, it sounds like you will have a great year! Your outline sounds very similar to what we did for country studies. It was so much fun.

The line about classification of animals jumped out at me. We recently got a card game on classification of animals that would work for K (the box says age 7, but we will be using it with a K4 student). It is called QuickPix: Not Just an Animal Game. You need to match animals to their correct taxonomy. It is a fun way to learn classification.

https://www.amazon.com/TaliCor-5512801-Quick-Pix-Animals/dp/B0009K6X7K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472150420&sr=8-1&keywords=quick+pix+animal

Awesome...going to check it out!  Thanks!