Menu

Need opinion... Public or Christian High School?

Michelle My Bell

I was a quiet introvert in a large school; it was fine.  A smaller school tends to require (ime) more interaction, because everyone you see in the hallway or the bathroom or the lunch room is someone you know, and you can't ever get away.  Every class you have, you have with the same people.

Agreed. I'm more of an outgoing introvert, but small ponds are a mixed bag for introverts in general. They can be a lot more taxing. Depends on the kid and the quality of the pond, but sometimes it's just so much easier to be a little fish in a big pond.

• Like 1

I would also go with public. As stated above, an introvert can sometimes find a more comfortable niche in a large group than a small group that might require more ongoing interaction. Having more options makes it more interesting as well. You also might be surprised at how well she does in finding some niches. I am an introvert who likes going to a large church, for example; I like finding different niches than are offered many times in small churches. My son is very much the same. 

I would go with the private school. I find it unlikely that a seriously introverted, always-homeschooled kid who gets thrown into a huge school environment is somehow going to blossom into someone who joins a bunch of clubs and plays a lot of sports.

Free lunch and breakfast is not a positive. My dd went to a school with those things. Lunch was stuff like corndogs wrapped in cellophane and greasy pizza. Breakfast was stuff like donuts wrapped in cellophane and microwave waffles. I didn't allow her to eat it because it was too unhealthy.

I'm a big fan of private college-prep schools, but that's not what you'd be getting with the Christian school you described.  A bad teacher shouldn't last more than a year at a private school; if they do, something's out of whack.

I'd go public.  

As to the lunch & breakfast - you probably already know from your ds, but unless your district has their act way together, school meals can be nasty, especially for kids raised on healthy food.  Fortunately, your dd is old enough to pack her own with a little planning help from you.  Hint: both hummus and pbj sandwiches freeze beautifully; fill in with fruit, hard boiled eggs, etc.  Set it up on Sunday evenings and you're good to go for the week, or cook double-sized dinners and send her with leftovers, most of which can be eaten cold if need be.  Pasta with veg and beans is a good option there.

If she knows someone who can give her the basic lowdown on the school routine in advance, all the better. 

• Like 4

Yes, this is how I experienced school as an introvert - the bigger the school the better.

:iagree: I went to a small private K-8 and a large, public high school.  I'm a pretty balanced introvert/extrovert, but I certainly struggled with social anxiety through elementary school and I think a huge part of this was poor school fit.  For me, the larger public high school was a much more positive experience. I was MUCH happier at the bigger school with more opportunities and it was much easier to find community there.   In fact, I very intentionally chose a big 10 school of 50,000 for college. 

I felt like I lived in a fish bowl in the small private school and had zero opportunities to branch out or reinvent myself.  It had a definite feel that you should just fit into their box to me.  And I never did.

Edited by WoolySocks

What are your and her priorities for school?

The bad math teacher and lack of subjects - especially with that price tag - would be a deal breaker for me. I'd rather let her distance ed from home and pour the cash into extras.

The biggest cons about the public school can be moderated with a good group of friends - either through the clubs or church/extras. Sounds like it's worth a try.

• Like 1

I vote public as well. I am a quiet, sheltered introvert who attended a large high school. I made friends in my classes, was able to blend into the crowd and was never offered drugs. Would have refused if offered. I went to a tiny, private Christian college and thrived there. I found my tribe. But college and high school is very different imho. High school is made up of kids in a particular city in a particular district. College is kids from all over the map drawn to that tiny school by shared interests.

We had planned on ds attending a fantastic private school this year and the financial aid brought it within reach. Then he got into a brand new magnet STEAM so we decided to try it since it was free. Even though we could have made the tuition payments, it would have been a strain. I worried about him falling in love with the school and us not getting enough aid one year so we would have to pull him out. They have an annual fund that they have a suggested donation amount of $500. It is not required but I have heard from other parents it is HIGHLY suggested. $500 is not pocket change to us. The school lunches are made there with fresh, local ingredients but at almost $5 every day that adds up. Field trips, fundraisers, all that takes a toll on already strained budgets.

If she hates the public school, private school will always be there next year. I hope she loves where ever she ends up!

Such a hard decision for you I bet.

My thoughts are either one will have negatives. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will have times you wish you picked the other.

Sounds like you are one busy mom as well, and she sounds like a great kid. Trust in the way you raised her. You can pick bad friends anywhere, and yes, even at a Christian school. I know.

Hugs to you and your daughter.

Coming late to the party, but I'd go with the public school hands down. (FTR we used private Christian school early on before homeschooling, so I have some experience there.) I suspect you and your DD will be far happier with the course offerings and extracurriculars at the public. Plus, don't buy that there isn't a drug or alcohol issue or anything else at the private school. It's likely just further below the surface. As an introvert, I think it's easier to cope in a larger school because you have a better chance of finding others like you. If you're the outsider in a small private school, you're really stuck. That doesn't mean it's going to be easy in public school or that she won't have the same issues, but overall it seems to offer much more. But she will need to give it time--maybe a lot of it.

• Like 1

Without knowing either school specifically, there is no substitute for a Christian education. Even a Christian principal is still limited by the constraints of school board policy and bans on religion in schools.

But, I do not get why stopping homeschooling is your only alternative. If she is 16, she should be able to get herself to coops, sports activities, or whatever in order to gain a social life.

In a perfect world, we could all enjoy that our children be taught our religious values in all activities including daily academics. But, food on the table will have to trump that. If one cannot afford parochial school tuition, then public school may be the best option.

Personally, I would let her still homeschool. We know several kids who were basically alone until college because parents were missionaries. They are extremely well adjusted and social adults.

But, I do not get why stopping homeschooling is your only alternative. If she is 16, she should be able to get herself to coops, sports activities, or whatever in order to gain a social life.

That would require driving in many areas, certainly in mine. There are no walkable activities. 

Driving requires a driver's license, insurance, and access to a car. That can be pretty expensive. I doubt the OP has an extra car. 

Edited to add that neither of my kids were fully licensed at 16. The permit cost us nothing, covering them on insurance definitely does. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 3

I would go to the public school. As for being introverted, does she need any tips on teen social stuff? There are a lot of good books out like this one which is funny too:

https://www.amazon.com/How-Rude-Manners-Behavior-Grossing/dp/1575424541/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471897655&sr=8-1&keywords=how+rude%21

I would also keep the lines of communication open and stress to her that you are there for her and want to know if anyone treats her badly or whatnot. I would also emphasize that teen mind are still growing and thus she may see a lot of immature behavior which does not mean the kids are bad for the most part but just their brains are not fully grown.

This book is good for study skills and succeeding at school:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0517880857/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are other useful books that may be good too.

• Like 1

Without knowing either school specifically, there is no substitute for a Christian education. Even a Christian principal is still limited by the constraints of school board policy and bans on religion in schools.

In a perfect world, we could all enjoy that our children be taught our religious values in all activities including daily academics. But, food on the table will have to trump that. If one cannot afford parochial school tuition, then public school may be the best option.

Personally, I would let her still homeschool. We know several kids who were basically alone until college because parents were missionaries. They are extremely well adjusted and social adults.

I tried keeping her home last year and I found that she retreated into her own little world in an unhealthy way. I am an introverted person so I understand the mentality, but she was literally shutting herself away from everything.

I live homeschooling but right now for my entire families sake, it is essential I finish college and become a nurse. I am a single mom and I don't have the option to continue educating her myself. I tried BJU DVDs and while she did them, she put little effort into absorbing and working with what she learned.

She is not licensed to drive, does not have a job and we cannot afford to send her to driving school, buy a car, get insurance just so she can go places.

This last summer I was able to obtain a really nice scholarship for her so she could go to Word of Life camp. For the first time in a long time I saw her come out of her shell and want to rejoin society. I truly believe she needs people to balance her introversion.

I had hoped the Christian school would be the answer and I hoped to have a large scholarship. I was going to pay for it with my own financial aid but it turned out to be much more than I expected with much less content.

• Like 6

I tried keeping her home last year and I found that she retreated into her own little world in an unhealthy way. I am an introverted person so I understand the mentality, but she was literally shutting herself away from everything.

I live homeschooling but right now for my entire families sake, it is essential I finish college and become a nurse. I am a single mom and I don't have the option to continue educating her myself. I tried BJU DVDs and while she did them, she put little effort into absorbing and working with what she learned.

She is not licensed to drive, does not have a job and we cannot afford to send her to driving school, buy a car, get insurance just so she can go places.

This last summer I was able to obtain a really nice scholarship for her so she could go to Word of Life camp. For the first time in a long time I saw her come out of her shell and want to rejoin society. I truly believe she needs people to balance her introversion.

I had hoped the Christian school would be the answer and I hoped to have a large scholarship. I was going to pay for it with my own financial aid but it turned out to be much more than I expected with much less content.

I think you've already kind of made you're decision, I personally would go with the private school. I am introverted, and attended private school from K to 7, then went to public in 8th and then back to private (school very similar to what you are describing) for all of high school. My school only had drama, photography and choir. And the only language offered was Spanish. I will tell you, in public school, it was overwhelming getting used to the layout of the school, getting to know new teachers every semester, and never knowing whether I would see a friend in any given class. I also never did find the Christian kids at my school.

Private school was better for me (even though the education wasn't that great, it was adequate, and no better than public, imo) because I got used to the staff and the student body stayed relatively the same each year. I wasn't friends with everyone, but I knew everyone's name, and there was comfort in that. Yes, there are cliques, like at all schools, but there are also other groups she can join. Also, I found that in private school if you wanted to start a club, and could find a teacher who would come in early or stay late, it wasn't out of the question. The teachers would eat lunch with us and would stay late to help with our homework or simply ask us about our lives. The students organized all the dances and pep rallies. That's just me though; if I were thrust into a large school like that I would be miserable. I'm sure whatever you do will be fine for her. 🙂

Just a quick update... I got my daughter enrolled in just the nick of time and she started last Wednesday. So far she loves it! I can't believe what a good decision this was for her. Thank you all for your advice.

This did open another can of worms for me however. My younger daughter (7th grader) was completely free at the school with financial aid and scholarships. Now, since we lost the multi-student discount we owe $2000 for her. I really can't swing it but she would be heartbroken to leave since she has already started there. I don't know what to do. She suggested a fundraiser. Would that be really tacky?

I started nursing school this week and to say I am overwhelmed is an understatement. I don't have the time to do some big event. I don't even know how to go about it. I have spoken to the school and they will not award me any additional financial aid. So I need additional thoughts and advice on how to afford this for her. :) 

• Like 4

Just a quick update... I got my daughter enrolled in just the nick of time and she started last Wednesday. So far she loves it! I can't believe what a good decision this was for her. Thank you all for your advice.

This did open another can of worms for me however. My younger daughter (7th grader) was completely free at the school with financial aid and scholarships. Now, since we lost the multi-student discount we owe $2000 for her. I really can't swing it but she would be heartbroken to leave since she has already started there. I don't know what to do. She suggested a fundraiser. Would that be really tacky?

I started nursing school this week and to say I am overwhelmed is an understatement. I don't have the time to do some big event. I don't even know how to go about it. I have spoken to the school and they will not award me any additional financial aid. So I need additional thoughts and advice on how to afford this for her. :)

Wow. That is really tough! I actually have no idea what to suggest. :(

She suggested a fundraiser. Would that be really tacky?

I have spoken to the school and they will not award me any additional financial aid. So I need additional thoughts and advice on how to afford this for her. :)

Yes, really tacky. I'm sorry that you're in this situation. Could your dd babysit, housesit, pet sit, mow lawns, etc. for the money? If not, I'd explain that the school is just too expensive and you can't afford it. Her sister is happy in the high school so she has a live example that public school can be a good option.

• Like 1

I'm glad the public school is looking for your older child. 

I'm confused, the tuition you have to pay now is $2000. The tuition you were going to have to pay when your older child was going to attend was $3000. Was what you were paying last year significantly less than $2000. How were you coming up with the tuition before? I know you say younger child was free, but that was with the multichild discount, presumably you were paying for another child to get the multichild discount. Where did the budget for the tuition you did pay come from . 

I guess in your situation I'd go to the school and ask to work out a payment plan. Is there something you can do for the school (drive the school van in the morning?) How much can you pay a month? If $2000 is more than you paid last year, I'd try to negotiate for last year's tuition. 

ETA: a fundraiser seems tacky to me. I tend not to think of private school as an emergency or a necessity. Also it is not a sustainable approach to yearly tuition costs. 

Edited by Diana P.
  • Like 1

I would move the other daughter to public school. She is young, she will make new friends and can keep in touch with the friends from her old school if she so chooses. You simply have to tell her that it is the best interests of your family for her to change schools.

Yes, it is tacky to do a fundraiser for a private school education. Admittedly I have a low tolerance for fundraisers, but this is truly an area where you have educational options and fundraising is not appropriate.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 7

I would move the other daughter to private school. She is young, she will make new friends and can keep in touch with the friends from her old school if she so chooses. You simply have to tell her that it is the best interests of your family for her to change schools.

Yes, it is tacky to do a fundraiser for a private school education. Admittedly I have a low tolerance for fundraisers, but this is truly an area where you have educational options and fundraising is not appropriate.

Do you mean move to public school?

If so, I agree.

• Like 1

Asking close relatives would be okay but no to fundraising for this kind of thing. It's not medical, it's not a necessity.

• Like 1

Yes, move her because you are not just looking at $2K this year. You are looking at $2K (or more) every additional year that she attends that school. Frankly, in your financial situation, it's not an affordable option. What would happen if you were unexpectedly injured or otherwise suddenly out of work?

• Like 5

Asking close relatives would be okay but no to fundraising for this kind of thing. It's not medical, it's not a necessity.

And should you suddenly need support for a medical crisis, family would be less able to help because they'd already contributed for school assistance.

• Like 4

I hate to ask this, but if you missed the multi-student discount in the contract, are you 100% sure that you aren't already on the hook for tuition for the year?  At the private schools in my area, you would be committed for the entire tuition for both girls if you pulled out after July. 

If you are on the hook for the tuition, and she enjoys the school, she might as well stay., I don't think you can expect people to donate, but I do think a 7th grader can look for babysitting and odd jobs and other ways to contribute.  Is the $2K due all at once or is it a monthly bill?

• Like 2

Asking siblings is iffy, and very much a case by case basis. They presumably have their own children.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

If you are committed to the tuition regardless she might as well stay. I would go and talk to them - they may have someone wait listed and let you off paying except what you have used or you will have to come up with a drip feed payment plan.

I hate to ask this, but if you missed the multi-student discount in the contract, are you 100% sure that you aren't already on the hook for tuition for the year?  At the private schools in my area, you would be committed for the entire tuition for both girls if you pulled out after July. 

If you are on the hook for the tuition, and she enjoys the school, she might as well stay., I don't think you can expect people to donate, but I do think a 7th grader can look for babysitting and odd jobs and other ways to contribute.  Is the $2K due all at once or is it a monthly bill?

Wow, really?   Here you would be on the hook for the remainder of that current month.  Or I should say at our church school, where I got a job offer this year.  I didn't take it, but I did get an offer.

Wow, really? Here you would be on the hook for the remainder of that current month. Or I should say at our church school, where I got a job offer this year. I didn't take it, but I did get an offer.

At our school, you are on the hook for that semester. You could probably get it waived for a hardship reason, but it's a committment for half a year at least.

Wow, really?   Here you would be on the hook for the remainder of that current month.  Or I should say at our church school, where I got a job offer this year.  I didn't take it, but I did get an offer.

How do schools with that policy plan for staffing and other expenses?  

As a single parent who puts food on the table with a private school teacher salary, a school without a guaranteed flow of income would make me very nervous.  

I would move the younger daughter to public as well. Kids survive and still thrive even with frequent school changes. She may complain but I would still do it. From personal experience, my parents moved a fair amount and changed my schools and even sent me to a school I really did not want to go to since all my friends were going to another school and I survived and even thrived a bit. I think she will too.

The schools near me ask for nonrefundable deposits in March and contracts that say you pay for the whole year even if you withdraw child. If you notify school by July you may get out of the contract, but you lose the deposit. Occasionally, a school will allow a family out of a contract if they move more than 50 miles. 

Around here tuition is significantly more than what the OP listed. In fact deposits at many schools are double that. The OPs quoted tuition is such that I would wonder how the schools pay the teachers anything at all. I've heard of some religious schools saying that a person should accept low pay because it should be their mission to the organization. I couldn't agree with a school that demanded teachers live in poverty to prove their faith. 

• Like 1

Asking siblings is iffy, and very much a case by case basis. They presumably have their own children.

True, I really just meant it's okay to ask if you have that kind of relationship. I personally wouldn't but it's still more appropriate than a fundraiser when there are other reasonable options available, such as public school.

• Like 1

Move her to the public school now. You will just have the same problem next year.

This. Even if you're on the hook for the money this year (and for our school it's one quarter), if she is going to have to move next year you might as well move her now and get her settled somewhere you can afford.

A fundraiser for private education isn't appropriate in my view.

• Like 1

The schools near me ask for nonrefundable deposits in March and contracts that say you pay for the whole year even if you withdraw child. If you notify school by July you may get out of the contract, but you lose the deposit. Occasionally, a school will allow a family out of a contract if they move more than 50 miles.

Around here tuition is significantly more than what the OP listed. In fact deposits at many schools are double that. The OPs quoted tuition is such that I would wonder how the schools pay the teachers anything at all. I've heard of some religious schools saying that a person should accept low pay because it should be their mission to the organization. I couldn't agree with a school that demanded teachers live in poverty to prove their faith.

I wonder if we're in the same area.

I teach at a faith based school, and am paid a decent salary.

A lot of places I know of will refund most, but only if they fill the slot with another kid.

Around here, tuition is a lot more as well... but the amount families pay tends to vary wildly at a lot of schools. People like Michelle, who are part of the community already, have kids who are a known factor (and a desired one) and who are outright broke, tend to pay the least. Financial aid and all. Two income families pulling in middle class salaries pay the sticker price.

A lot of the religious based schools I'm familiar with also are subsidized in some way by a greater faith community as part of their mission.

I'm just saying I wouldn't assume that it must be the case that they're underpaying their teachers. Of course, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they were either. I've heard stories of what amounts to teachers on salary at small Christian schools that adds up to less than the minimum wage when you look at the time they're actually expected to put in.

• Like 1

A lot of the teachers at my son's old school were older retired ladies who wanted to work with kids or for the church in some capacity. They were not there for the money, and the board was really upfront about the salary. The school was also subsidized by two area churches to make it really affordable for us regular people.

Also, his school was a half-day model and only k-8, so I hate to say it wasn't a full time job, but it wasn't as demanding as a full school day schedule.

That said, the cheapest k-12 schools I know had to charge $7k for kindy because high school was so expensive to offer. $3k for high school would really surprise me anywhere, unless it was a homeschool hybrid or special situation.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update...

My daughter is thriving at her new public high school. Sorry for confusing everyone about the tuition. The cost was $3000 for the two girls but part of my problem was I couldn't afford it. I was under the impression that my younger daughter had a full scholarship so I thought that by pulling my older daughter, she would still be covered. It was my misunderstanding of the situation. 

Anyhow, I ended up keeping my younger daughter at the school. They allowed me to make a payment plan based on when I have money. So for now, I am paying $150 a month until Feb. when I get some financial aid from my nursing school. Then I will make a bigger lump payment. Then, I will resume the smaller payments until I get a tax return. 

This is my life. Juggle this here, juggle that there. I know a lot of people live this way. I am super used to it. It's been this way so long I can't even remember when it wasn't. That is what keeps me going each and every day as I undertake this massive thing called nursing school. It has been so intense. I study for hours upon hours and still feel behind. But I am determined to get through. Just 8 weeks left in this semester and then just four more semesters to go. I've passed my first big exam, Vital Signs & Assessment check-off, and Wound Care check-off. Just one more check-off for catheters and then we are in the hospital for the rest of the semester. 

Thanks for your words of wisdom, prayers, and support. <3

• Like 14

I'm sorry about the bill juggling and glad they've been accommodating. That is GREAT to hear that your daughter is doing well at the public high school though. Woohoo!

Thanks for the update! I always wonder how things turned out when board folks ask these sorts of questions.

Good for your daughters, and good for you! Your juggling now will pay off in a few short years. And you are teaching your children valuable lessons about perseverance and pursuing excellence.

• Like 1