Menu

The 2017 Acceptance Thread

The Girls' Mom

My daughter found out today that she was admitted to IU's Jacobs School of Music. She applied for a Bachelors of Science in Music and an Outside Field. Her outside field is global studies, and she found out yesterday that she was admitted as a direct admit scholar to global studies. This came with a small scholarship which we were both happy about. Now we just have to wait until the end of March to see if she receives a scholarship from Jacobs. She will need one to attend.  

• Like 32

My daughter found out today that she was admitted to IU's Jacobs School of Music. She applied for a Bachelors of Science in Music and an Outside Field. Her outside field is global studies, and she found out yesterday that she was admitted as a direct admit scholar to global studies. This came with a small scholarship which we were both happy about. Now we just have to wait until the end of March to see if she receives a scholarship from Jacobs. She will need one to attend.

Congratulations to your dd, Jilly! Jacobs is an amazing school. I hope more money comes her way.

My D is also an SGIS direct admit. If she attends IU, she'll be an International Studies major (diplomacy, security, and governance concentration) and will attempt both the Arabic and Chinese Language Flagship programs.

• Like 25

Congratulations to your dd, Jilly! Jacobs is an amazing school. I hope more money comes her way.

My D is also an SGIS direct admit. If she attends IU, she'll be an International Studies major (diplomacy, security, and governance concentration) and will attempt both the Arabic and Chinese Language Flagship programs.

It's great that both our Ds are direct admits. I was very impressed with the program when we visited IU, and my daughter was too. The wonderful thing about IU for her is that they allow a student to pursue music and another passion which is exactly what my daughter wants. 

• Like 5

Jilly & Luckymama - I already have your DDs listed as being accepted to IU. Is Jacobs a unique acceptance requiring an additional entry on the List view? Do I correct the IU acceptance to read IU - Jacob's School of Music?

Edited by Scoutermom
  • Like 1

Jilly & Luckymama - I already have your DDs listed as being accepted to IU. Is Jacobs a unique acceptance requiring an additional entry on the List view? Do I correct the IU acceptance to read IU - Jacob's School of Music?

Yes my daughter got into Jacobs which was a separate process from the main school because it is their music school. Thanks for asking.

• Like 2

Ds received his second acceptance -- this one is to University of Connecticut. Several more to go... waiting is hard on the mama...

My dd was just accepted to UConn as well!  

She is waiting to hear from one more school before making her decision.  I wish they'd hurry up but the decision could come as late as May 1 :(   Ugh!  I don't think I can handle 2 more months of not knowing...

• Like 19

A department head at Davidson College called DD this week.  It was basically a "likely letter" sort of call.  He let her know the admitted student dates so that she can consider leaving them open for Davidson since she's on a short list of kids they already know they want.  DD is super excited about this because Davidson is in her top 2-3 preferred schools but she wasn't even sure she would get in because of the rumors we've heard about how they view homeschooling.  She's super excited ~ YAY!

ETA:  I guess just in the last two years Davidson has become much more amiable to homeschoolers.  A friend of mine works to help students find schools, scholarships, etc.  She was the one who always told me that Davidson was the most unfriendly to homeschoolers but now even she has had to admit that they have finally changed their note on that.  

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 26

Oh my, congrats to her on the scholarship 8! How absolutely wonderful! So glad it came through (not that I doubted it would ;) ). :party:

Thanks, quark!  They started making phone calls yesterday.  They probably didn't realize that the kids all formed a huge group me and as soon as a phone call was made, all 46 kids knew.  Only 16 kids had posted yesterday that they had been called.  Dd was resigned that the other kids just didn't post and that she wasn't one of the named kids.  When the phone rang today, our house was a zoo b/c all of my grandkids were over here b/c we were having a big cookout.  The phone call caught her totally off-guard.  (Shortly thereafter the rest of the kids called today started posting.)  

Anyway, major, major, major celebrating here.  We are beyond happy.  God has blessed our kids so much.  I don't know how we would have managed these last 2 kids' college educations without these scholarships.  I am crying in relief and joy.  Super thankful right now.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 21

Dd has made a decision!! She found out a little while ago that she is a McNair Scholar, so she will be attending USCarolina.  I am so incredibly happy for her.  This is a huge blessing for her and our family.  (USC allows their NMF Leiber scholarship to stack on top of McNair.)

This is awesome!  Stacking scholarship - a double win,   :party:

• Like 4

Dd has made a decision!! She found out a little while ago that she is a McNair Scholar, so she will be attending USCarolina. I am so incredibly happy for her. This is a huge blessing for her and our family. (USC allows their NMF Leiber scholarship to stack on top of McNair.)

So does this mean she is basically being paid to go to school there? Amazing, but of course earned all the way.
  • Like 3

Anyway, major, major, major celebrating here.  We are beyond happy.  God has blessed our kids so much.  I don't know how we would have managed these last 2 kids' college educations without these scholarships.  I am crying in relief and joy.  Super thankful right now.

That is so wonderful!!! Congratulations! :party:

• Like 1

I wonder if I'm allowed to play since I won't post where my dc go go college? 

My ds was accepted to and got enough scholarship monies to attend his first choice! We are so blessed! Not only was it his first choice, but there are many advantages at this school for his chosen career (sorry, I don't want to post that either). We can't believe how blessed we are.

There is a possibility that dd will be at the same school for grad school when he starts there too. While I want what is best for both of my dc, this would be wonderful!  :hurray:

• Like 28

So does this mean she is basically being paid to go to school there? Amazing, but of course earned all the way.

McNair and Lieber cover tuition, room, and board.  But McNair also is a specialized program that offers specialized faculty mentoring, career development, and other unique opportunities.  Right before we left she found out she found she accepted into CIFA, their French-focused IB program with an exchange with Dauphine in Paris.  It truly is a huge blessing and the answer to her prayers.

• Like 19

I wonder if I'm allowed to play since I won't post where my dc go go college?

My ds was accepted to and got enough scholarship monies to attend his first choice! We are so blessed! Not only was it his first choice, but there are many advantages at this school for his chosen career (sorry, I don't want to post that either). We can't believe how blessed we are.

There is a possibility that dd will be at the same school for grad school when he starts there too. While I want what is best for both of my dc, this would be wonderful! :hurray:

Congratulations, Angie!! My college jr and my 12th grader are very close. They would think that is wonderful, too, so I understand how exciting that possibility is. :)

• Like 8

DD found out today she did not get an extra scholarship she was waiting on an answer for.  That's the bad news.  The good news is that if she got that scholarship (from her 2nd choice) it was going to be a very hard decision between 1st and 2nd.  So after a brief moment of disappointment, she is now ecstatic that the decision is made and she is going to her favorite, University of Northern Colorado.  

Sometimes things just turn out how they are supposed to go!

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 33

DD found out today she did not get an extra scholarship she was waiting on an answer for.  That's the bad news.  The good news is that if she got that scholarship (from her 2nd choice) it was going to be a very hard decision between 1st and 2nd.  So after a brief moment of disappointment, she is now ecstatic that the decision is made and she is going to her favorite, University of Northern Colorado.  

Sometimes things just turn out how they are supposed to go!

Yes, sometimes those financial aid packages help make clear decisions. Yay for her that she's going to her favorite!  :thumbup:

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 2

8!!  How did I miss your post?  HUGE congrats and hugs and cries of joy for you and your dd.

And to all of the other wonderful kids and parents who have recently posted... :party:

DS is on his way to Rochester for the scholarship interview.  If he gets it, they pay not only 100% of tuition, room and board, but $5,000 for research.

His heart is still set on a certain school, though....

• Like 25

DD received another acceptance today - UC Davis with the Regent's Scholarship!  

The Regent's there is better than the one offered by Berkeley - $7500 per year compared to $2500 per year. As a future veterinarian, she is excited at the prospect of going to UCD, as it is the number one vet school in both the U.S. and in the world.  Don't think getting an acceptance from UCLA or USC will change anything at this point... 

• Like 28

DD was just notified she received the Cornelius Vanderbilt scholarship with full tuition and a stipend to Vanderbilt.  We were so not expecting this.

Gratia, that is absolutely wonderful news. So happy for you all! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

• Like 1

Congrats Gratia! Wonderful news!

DD has received acceptances to Wofford and Rhodes both with merit scholarships. I don'the believe I've mentioned her merit scholarships for her previous acceptances, but she received them everywhere she has applied so far.

Edited by Melabella
  • Like 21

Congratulations! I didn't know they came out today as well as dd didn't apply there.  Is he considering UCSD at all, or is he 100% Berkeley?  

Thank you! I saw on CC that UCD and UCSD were being announced on the same day and thought of you guys!

He's still waiting on 4 more schools of which 1 or 2 could make him reconsider UCB so we're just waiting to see what happens. :001_smile:

• Like 5