Menu

The 2017 Acceptance Thread

The Girls' Mom

I've been avoiding this thread for several weeks.  I just had to wait until ds had some of his applications actually out the door.  

I am so excited for all of the good news here.  They sound like wonderful opportunities out there for these young people.  

Congratulations and best wishes for everyone.

• Like 6

DD got 3 acceptance letters this week;

Drake University + Presidential Scholarship

Benedictine College - Competitive scholarship Save the Date arrive prior to acceptance letter . :001_smile:

St. Edwards University + President's Excellence and Edwardian Scholarships

She has one more application to hear back on and is about ready to submit to the selective schools with the January deadlines. The current acceptances give her great safety options but she really wants to get into a selective school. April 1 will be a big day for us.

• Like 28

Just adding a little more about MSTP & MD/PhD with stats one school gave middle son (at his interview).

250 students applied

70 were selected for an interview

8 slots are available

This would be why we do a little bit of  :party: just due to his getting selected for an interview.  He's at an interview with another school now.  I'm wondering if they have similar stats...

• Like 21

Well, they did trounce Adams State last weekend... 

We were outside part of the time this past weekend at my class (we were right by Blaster) and got to hear the band practice and then come back, in their flannels. 

Your class?  Tell me more.

Basketball season starts on Friday...

Edited by Sue in St Pete

Not quite the same, but DD11 got accepted to the community college! She is too young/not at the right grade level for DE, but after talking to folks there, they suggested she apply as a non-traditional student. Based on her ACT and placement scores, they admitted her, and she also qualifies for their honors program :).

We plan to leave her registered as homeschooled and just use CC classes for some subject areas until she feels ready to graduate "for real", but she is pretty happy. Especially since the specialty jr/sr high school/DE program she was applying to turned her down for their middle school program!

• Like 34

DS got accepted to St. Louis University.

I am so happy for you and him! Especially since I know from responses on another thread that you had wondered about whether you were behind with applications. I am also so pleasantly surprised that they responded so quickly. What a relief it must be. I hope more acceptances pour in too.

• Like 3

Is this the school you mentioned that would make continuing to train ideal? I know that's important to him. I'm hoping whatever school that is works out for him!

Thanks - yes, it is. He is currently driving to St. Louis 2-3 times a week to train. That is 200 miles each round trip, a lot of time and gas.

• Like 6

I am so happy for you and him! Especially since I know from responses on another thread that you had wondered about whether you were behind with applications. I am also so pleasantly surprised that they responded so quickly. What a relief it must be. I hope more acceptances pour in too.

Thanks! They do rolling admissions, with priority deadline December 1. He had seen on the application portal that a decision had been made and that he would be notified, and then it took almost a week for the email to come. 

• Like 3

Congrats!  SLU is on dd's list to apply to next year.  I think I missed something.  What does your ds train for? 

Judo

Just a heads-up re SLU: I had written about this in an earlier post: they say on their website: "To be considered for admission, you must be graduating from an accredited high school, have an acceptable HiSET exam score or take the General Education Development (GED) test."

We had contacted the admissions counselor and received the answer that "many homeschoolers find this wording confusing" and that they of course accept homeschool transcripts. (Why they still have this on their website if it is "confusing", I don't know)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

Judo

Just a heads-up re SLU: I had written about this in an earlier post: they say on their website: "To be considered for admission, you must be graduating from an accredited high school, have an acceptable HiSET exam score or take the General Education Development (GED) test."

We had contacted the admissions counselor and received the answer that "many homeschoolers find this wording confusing" and that they of course accept homeschool transcripts. (Why they still have this on their website if it is "confusing", I don't know)

Good to have that confirmation.  We had seen that on their website and nearly wrote them off (we actually did for my older kids, partially for that reason.)  However, dd had attended the graduation of one of her cousins at that school, fell in love with the school, and it has been on her list ever since.  Since she attends the local public high school part-time, she went to a presentation by a SLU adcom when he visited her school.  She about that and they told her the same thing.  I really do wish they would change the website. 

• Like 2

Not quite the same, but DD11 got accepted to the community college! She is too young/not at the right grade level for DE, but after talking to folks there, they suggested she apply as a non-traditional student. Based on her ACT and placement scores, they admitted her, and she also qualifies for their honors program :).

We plan to leave her registered as homeschooled and just use CC classes for some subject areas until she feels ready to graduate "for real", but she is pretty happy. Especially since the specialty jr/sr high school/DE program she was applying to turned her down for their middle school program!

This definitely belongs in this thread!! Congrats!

Nan

• Like 1

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

DD got accepted to Colorado State Univ at Fort Collins.  It's not uber competitive, but she got the email 3 days after turning in her app, which was a surprise.  She forwarded me the email thinking it was just the usual.  I said, "Um, did you read that email?  It says you've been accepted and the acceptance package is coming in the mail.."  She freaked out then!  We didn't expect anything that fast.  Waiting on dollar amount though...

• Like 30

DD got accepted to Colorado State Univ at Fort Collins

My niece is a senior there.  She loves it.  We visited Fort Collins years ago.  What a wonderful town.  I am a warm weather person, but if I could afford it, I could be persuaded to live in Fort Collins.  Expensive there, though.  :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Sue in St Pete
  • Like 5

My niece is a senior there.  She loves it.  We visited Fort Collins years ago.  What a wonderful town.  I am a warm weather person, but if I could afford it, I could be persuaded to live in Fort Collins.  Expensive there, though.  :tongue_smilie:

Yes.  And Colorado schools are stingy I think, unless you have financial need.  I hope to be proven wrong!  DD's stats could get full tuition at quite a few out of state colleges.  

• Like 1

#2 Son -- University of Indianapolis, Honors College with a really good merit scholarship

-- Passed the first hurdle to getting accepted into the union Plumbers/Steamfitters Apprenticeship, scheduled for interview

Bonus tutored student -- just completed Basic Training in the Air National Guard

-- accepted to a respected Christian university, with scholarship, will be attending next fall!

(keeping details vague for tutored student, but for those who remember the back story, there's your update :) )

• Like 27

Does it always work this way when you apply early?

With rolling admission schools, often.  This is why many can be good safeties (as long as one can afford them).  One knows about admission early.

With regular admission schools, rarely - usually when one has some sort of big hook and that tends to generate a "likely" letter rather than an outright admission.  Most of these schools have either a date when they release all decisions or waves of decisions after a certain date.

• Like 4

Second acceptance, University of Northern Colorado.  Wow, I didn't think we would get these so fast!  Does it always work this way when you apply early?

Congrats!!!

DS sent his in mid Nov for UCs. We have to wait almost 4 months to hear back! :glare:

• Like 3

Dd had been accepted to Salisbury (MD), New Haven ((CT), and Trent (ON).

Her original plan was to only apply to 4 schools in Canada but she had a bit of a freak out in late Sept and spent an afternoon applying to 5 schools in the US on the east coast, just in case;)

• Like 20

DD got 3 acceptance letters this week;

Drake University + Presidential Scholarship

Benedictine College - Competitive scholarship Save the Date arrive prior to acceptance letter . :001_smile:

St. Edwards University + President's Excellence and Edwardian Scholarships

She has one more application to hear back on and is about ready to submit to the selective schools with the January deadlines. The current acceptances give her great safety options but she really wants to get into a selective school. April 1 will be a big day for us.

Yay for St. Edward's.  That is my alma mater.  I loved my time there. 

• Like 3

I love this thread too!  I have been unable to access this site for awhile - for some reason my computer wouldn't load the page correctly & nothing I did worked.

Anyway, my second dd was accepted to UMKC, U Iowa, and Western Michigan - all with decent merit scholarships.  

Congratulations to everyone who has posted so far!  

(And I am so happy that I have found my way back here!!)

• Like 24

I started the list thread. I did an initial compilation from the announcements made on this thread. 

I know Faithmanor did it last year or the year before; I can't remember which. I have the time so I thought I would volunteer.

:001_cool:

Thank you Scoutermom! :001_wub: Big puffy heart love these acceptance/ admittance/ decisions threads at this time of the year.

• Like 2

ED? So he's all done then? Congratulations!

Yes!  He's all done!  Although, package came with all of the instructions for enrolling in orientation, etc.  He was a bit overwhelmed when he realized that "all done" really means "just getting started." 

• Like 18

Yes! He's all done! Although, package came with all of the instructions for enrolling in orientation, etc. He was a bit overwhelmed when he realized that "all done" really means "just getting started."

Omigosh yes! The number of hoops to jump through to get financial aid finalized, deposited, enrolled, signed up for roommate match and housing, registered for classes, etc -- while doing two spring recitals, DE finals, and other senior year "stuff" really shocked us last year.

Word to those who haven't decided yet: there's another 2 or 3 applications worth of work AFTER you're accepted!

• Like 4