Menu

The 2017 Acceptance Thread

The Girls' Mom

It is a little early, but my two girls have started getting their acceptance letters for Fall 2017.   :hurray:  :hurray:

One dd(16) was accepted into Union University, which is her #1 pick.  

Both dds(16) were accepted into MTSU and got their letters today.  They also got Honors Admission.  This school was the other dd's #1 pick.

Both were very homeschool friendly schools, and gave us no trouble at all about transcripts, etc.  

Edited by The Girls' Mom
  • Like 41

:party: :party: (One for each lol)

(Dd has yet to submit a single application. I am slightly stressed.)

Ha, I couldn't get either of my dds to submit an application before October, and that was just because of EA deadlines,l and then it was only one each.

They're both going to colleges they're happy with this fall, so all ended well. :D

Congrats to the OP['s dds, and must be great to have such organized kids! I know I felt a lot better when the acceptance letters started coming in!

• Like 6

Change the title of your thread slightly and this is our thread for 2017.  I love watching these threads each year even long after I'm done with that stage in our lives.

Though technically... we'd have to ponder whether I ought to post middle son's med school acceptances when/if he gets them.  He has all his apps in for those, but I'm not so sure acceptances to those are as widely announced.  Considering we're just entering the interview stage (starts in Sept), it'll be a while before any acceptances arrive.

• Like 10

Though technically... we'd have to ponder whether I ought to post middle son's med school acceptances when/if he gets them.  He has all his apps in for those, but I'm not so sure acceptances to those are as widely announced.  Considering we're just entering the interview stage (starts in Sept), it'll be a while before any acceptances arrive.

You should! That is a huge accomplishment!

• Like 7

You should! That is a huge accomplishment!

I'll have to see what he says about it first.  I could post that he's received one when/if it happens, but if I'm going to get specific as to where, I'd want his approval.  Once something is cemented and he knows where he's going, I would think that could be public (Hive) knowledge.

• Like 5

It is a little early, but my two girls have started getting their acceptance letters for Fall 2017.   :hurray:  :hurray:

Both dds(16) were accepted into MTSU and got their letters today.  They also got Honors Admission.  This school was the other dd's #1 pick.

Both were very homeschool friendly schools, and gave us no trouble at all about transcripts, etc.  

Will the girls continue to apply other places or are they finished with the process?

Will the girls continue to apply other places or are they finished with the process?

One has at least one other school that she is applying to.  She really, really, really wants to go MTSU, and will only attend this other school if she has to.  She just mailed in her Fellowship application today for the Honors College at MTSU, which has full ride potential.  (Keeping everything crossed there) But even if she doesn't get full ride, she already qualifies for enough aid to make it affordable.

I think the other one is satisfied with the two she applied to.  Her first pick, Union, is dependent upon the financial aid package, while the other is pretty affordable for us.  Plus, she is ok with going to our local community college for two years, if for some reason neither works out financially.  

Edited by The Girls' Mom
  • Like 3

Wow, congratulations to all of you! :hurray:

:party: :party: (One for each lol)

(Dd has yet to submit a single application. I am slightly stressed.)

This is where ds is also - has not yet submitted a single application. I am also not done with all of my work (transcript, counselor letter, etc.). I'm also slightly stressed. Actually more than slightly stressed, to be honest.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not an acceptance, but middle son received his first MSTP interview request a couple of days ago.  That's the first (difficult) hurdle, so we're partially celebrating.  MSTP is VERY competitive.

He's also had two MSTP rejections... but no surprises from either as one was a very state resident biased school (not our state) and the other is just a super high reach.  The super high reach is still considering him for med school... just not MSTP.

• Like 17

Just to clarify, would it be okay if I posted acceptances for one of our couch surfers that we mentored and tutored? Going to college is a huge accomplishment for her. She came from a non schooling "homeschool" family who only did academics loosely through about 6th grade. She had huge gaps to fill in the four years we worked with her and scored well enough on the SAT that it looks like she will be attempting a BSRN. She had to leave home and bide her time between grandparents and our house living out of a suitcase all those years. I feel pretty heavily vested in her and attached to her. But she is not my child either nor have we ever had legal custody.

• Like 33

• 2 weeks later...

Change the title of your thread slightly and this is our thread for 2017.  I love watching these threads each year even long after I'm done with that stage in our lives.

That is so exciting!

Reading this thread with great interest. Ds.2 has not begun applications yet. But will get some out this month hopefully. Ds.1 got admitted to Mount Sinai School of Medicine in NY! It is now called Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai! So yes, both my sons will graduate in 2017 and I'll become an empty nester.

It has been quite a ride! I have loved all the support of this community. God bless!

Edited by Nissi
  • Like 24

Just to clarify, would it be okay if I posted acceptances for one of our couch surfers that we mentored and tutored? Going to college is a huge accomplishment for her. She came from a non schooling "homeschool" family who only did academics loosely through about 6th grade. She had huge gaps to fill in the four years we worked with her and scored well enough on the SAT that it looks like she will be attempting a BSRN. She had to leave home and bide her time between grandparents and our house living out of a suitcase all those years. I feel pretty heavily vested in her and attached to her. But she is not my child either nor have we ever had legal custody.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DD has three acceptances in the bag, her three safeties which don't use the Common App -- University of Missouri Kansas City, Truman State University, and Missouri State University. Scholarship information is to follow. She is now working on schools with Early Acceptance dates in November.

• Like 26

:party:  :party:

DD has three acceptances in the bag, her three safeties which don't use the Common App -- University of Missouri Kansas City, Truman State University, and Missouri State University. Scholarship information is to follow. She is now working on schools with Early Acceptance dates in November.

• Like 1

Couch surfing almost dd was over the moon to get her first acceptance. It was to the University of Michigan - Flint campus. This is a financial safety for her so she is breathing a huge sigh of relief. It is a good fit, afte all she has been through extricating herself from her abusive home, a small campus wih small class sizes and stellar setvices is a great idea. Plus she has a lovely singing voice, but with no formal training would not get into the choir at a top thirty school like U of MI Ann Arbor, but by attending their Flint campus she has automatic transfer later on if she would like.

We knew she would hear early from them so now she can relax. This will be a big help to me as her general senioritis has caused some angst with concentrating on school work.

• Like 35

Couch surfing almost dd was over the moon to get her first acceptance. It was to the University of Michigan - Flint campus. This is a financial safety for her so she is breathing a huge sigh of relief. It is a good fit, afte all she has been through extricating herself from her abusive home, a small campus wih small class sizes and stellar setvices is a great idea. Plus she has a lovely singing voice, but with no formal training would not get into the choir at a top thirty school like U of MI Ann Arbor, but by attending their Flint campus she has automatic transfer later on if she would like.

We knew she would hear early from them so now she can relax. This will be a big help to me as her general senioritis has caused some angst with concentrating on school work.

Congrats to your extra one!

Nan

• Like 4

Middle son just got his second MSTP interview request!  As before, it's definitely not a guarantee, but hard enough to reach this stage that it's worth a level of  :party: to us.

He's had 5 MSTP denials (out of 20 applications), though 2 of those schools are still considering him for med school (just not MSTP).  Getting this second interview (second school) is a nice plus to start his/our week.   :cheers2:

• Like 29

Dd was accepted into a 36 month BScN program

eta - (it's 4 years compressed, goes year round which is how they fit it into 3 yrs; 135 credits;  & requires university pre-requisites before admission to the program.  Just adding that as someone asked me if it was a 3 year 90 credit degree..  :)  )

She starts Jan 2017 in British Columbia. 

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 31

Congratulations to those who have already received happy news!

Not an acceptance, but middle son received his first MSTP interview request a couple of days ago. 

I'm guessing that MSTP stands for Medical School something something.  (And that TP does not stand for toilet paper!)  Wishing your son well with his interviews and applications, creekland.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Dd has started dual enrollment at our local CC and plans to stay there for her AS in Nursing. It's an excellent program with strong transfer agreements in place. A year ago, I didn't think this would be her choice. So, all the anxiety over transcripts, course descriptions and recommendations has been put aside. I guess I'll be posting in another couple of years when it's time to pick a school to finish the BSN. She'll also be looking at RN to MSN programs but it's too early to pick a specialization.

Edited by samba
  • Like 18

I'm guessing that MSTP stands for Medical School something something.  (And that TP does not stand for toilet paper!)  Wishing your son well with his interviews and applications, creekland.

Regards,

Kareni

Wiki actually gives a decent concise overview:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_Scientist_Training_Program

The Medical Scientist Training Programs (MSTPs) are extremely competitive MD-PhD training programs that streamline the education towards MD and PhD graduate degrees.[1] MSTPs are offered by a small number of United States medical schools with financial support from the National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS), a branch of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The goal of these training programs is to produce physician scientists who can translate laboratory discoveries into effective treatments for patients. Among a total number of 118 MD-PhD programs in the country, there are currently 45 participating institutions with MSTPs for a total of 890 trainees in all stages of the programs.[2] MSTPs exist at the nation's preeminent medical schools, and, as of 2011, the top 20 medical schools as ranked by the US News and Report had a MSTP. The most recent MSTP grant was awarded to The University of Massachusetts Medical School in 2013.[3]

Admission to MSTPs is the most competitive of all graduate medical education programs in the country, with only 170 NIH-funded positions available nationwide each year for a total of 1,813 applicants (a 9.4% acceptance rate), as of 2011. In comparison, MD-only programs had 20,176 positions for a total of 43,915 applicants (a 46% acceptance rate).[5]At each institution, these acceptance rates are varied and are often far more competitive than the national data. Every year, the number of MSTP applicants rapidly increases, as the benefits of such well-structured combined training have become more appreciated. Applicants must have very strong MCAT scores and GPAs to be considered for positions in MSTP. Reflecting this fact, from 2008 to 2010 the average GPA and MCAT for matriculants to MSTPs were 3.76 and 34.5, respectively, and these numbers continue to rise every year. MSTP applicants will often have very strong research experience as well, in addition to the typical qualifications required from MD-only applicants. However, because of the time commitment required of research, MSTP will not focus as much on miscellaneous volunteering experience and will focus mostly on an applicant's research background as well as clinical experience such as volunteering at a hospital or shadowing a doctor(s).

Interviews for admissions at MSTPs tend to focus on the applicant's career goals and past experiences in scientific research. These may include short research talks or presentations followed by rigorous questioning by an interviewer or interviewing committee. MSTP applicants are often required to demonstrate a deep understanding of their past research projects. Multiple interview sessions conducted by different interviewers that last for 2 days are very common. At some MSTPs, applicants may also be required (or be offered the chance) to interview with the MD-only program.

----

The super nice thing about these programs is both med school and grad school are paid for, along with a stipend toward living expenses.  That's not why he applied though.  He absolutely loves both research and all things medical and wants to combine them if he can.  Time will tell.

My guy's first choice is to research immunology, but who know if he'll be one of the few successful applicants.  Time will tell.  He applied to 20 schools, has now been denied (MSTP) at 6 (denied med school at 4 of those), has MSTP interviews at 2, and needs to hear from the other 12.  If he doesn't get MSTP, then he's still interested in (and applied for) regular med school.  If he doesn't get any of that, then we've told him we'd certainly contemplate moving to St Kitts with him.  It's not the worst alternative in the world :lol: (but I know he'd be disappointed).  

• Like 10

It all works out in the end.

This is what I think too.  It's part of why we told him that if nothing else happens, I'm pretty sure we'll all be happy in St Kitts.  ;)

We're on his cheerleading team no matter which direction it takes.  We've even told him we're ok with his opting for a totally different direction if that's what he wants.

(Personally, I'm not terribly disappointed with 5 of the 6 schools that turned him down.  The other I'd have liked to see since he has friends there, we visited the actual med school way back when he was first contemplating heading that direction, and it's in state, etc, but such is life.  I'm quite pleased with his two interview options - either would be an excellent choice if he were to get accepted.)

• Like 2

Wiki actually gives a decent concise overview:

The super nice thing about these programs is both med school and grad school are paid for, along with a stipend toward living expenses.

... If he doesn't get any of that, then we've told him we'd certainly contemplate moving to St Kitts with him.  It's not the worst alternative in the world :lol: (but I know he'd be disappointed).  

Thank you, creekland; I'm now far better informed!

I wish him well with the process; it would certainly be wonderful to be accepted into a fully paid program. 

St Kitts sounds appealing to me, too!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

How interesting about the MSTP. How long has this option been around? I have a friend who did his PhD first and THEN went separately to medical school. This would have been in the mid 80s through the mid 90s.

According to that Wiki page, it started in 1964 and has been gradually increasing (some) over time.  It wouldn't bother me if they increased it a bit.  These are the types of things I want my tax dollars going toward - whether or not my guy gets a slot.  They take top students and match them with medical research opportunities and med school training.  It seems like a great program to me.

I'll freely admit I knew nothing about it until I started looking into how to prepare a student for med school back in my guidance counselor days.  Then we were told about it by a handful of doctors and admissions folks when they saw my guy's interest in both (and high school scores).  I also was fortunate enough while on a flight to sit next to a doctor (working at Duke) who had gone through the program.  He had nothing but praise for it.  The things they are able to do is amazing - in his case - working on restoring sight to those who lose it.  He's (was?) the only one at Duke doing this, so if anyone reading happens to know him IRL, yes, that's who I sat next to - a really enjoyable ride/conversation.

All of this is would fit middle son perfectly.  Only time will tell if he's fortunate enough to get offered a spot somewhere.  He's competing with oodles of others probably just like him, so one never knows.

Thank you, creekland; I'm now far better informed!

I wish him well with the process; it would certainly be wonderful to be accepted into a fully paid program. 

St Kitts sounds appealing to me, too!

Regards,

Kareni

Well... that might be our first choice if hubby and I were the only ones voting (sigh).  But we're not actually even voting in this process.  We're merely cheerleaders and the mama part of me wants him to get what he wants.  I seriously think our country would benefit.  His ability to think outside the box on oodles of different topics is incredibly good.  He is very much the innovative and creative type who can come up with brand new ideas based upon what he sees, and then has the patience and drive to get things done from those ideas.

• Like 5

My roommate at Claremont McKenna is an MSTP. She said that med school was a cakewalk after getting her PhD. I'm almost 42, and she just barely finished her last fellowship a few years ago!! She is now a peds rheumatologist at Washington University, and married to a peds surgeon. No kids with all that schooling.

• Like 2

Creekland, my niece tried to get into an MSTP. she ended up just getting the MD. She's half way through residency. It looks like she'll still be getting into research as she planned. She happy with the direction she took. It all works out in the end.

My son took a class for high school students at our state medical school his junior year and then did research there during the summer. One of the first things they emphasized in the class was that you did not have to have a PhD to be a researcher. Many of the researchers who presented during the class and hosted students in their labs were only MDs. While I'm sure there are many MSTP grads out there who loved their experience, all the ones my son met said they would only get an MD if doing it all over again. He also met several PhDs who regretted not getting an MD instead, and some were still considering medical school.

Your son is so talented that I'm sure he will end up with many amazing choices by the end of the process, but even if it's only medical school, he will still have plenty of research opportunities.

• Like 5

Honorary dd received her acceptance from Alma College.

She is pretty happy, and received $22,000 in scholarships up front. It is a $44,000 a year school, but due to her biological parents' situation will receive Michigan Competitive Tuition Grant, and assistance from having been in Foster Care for a time. There may also be a $1500.00 scholarship from a local business group, and though she has had very little to do with her maternal grandparents due to her parent' cult dealings, they have recently come back into her life and have decided to help her financially. She may still need the stafford loan, but really, this is not outside the realm of possibility for her!

I personally love the school, and again, a small one with a great reputation, and excellent support...for her emotional needs, I think it would be an awesome fit for her. She will only be 2 hrs. from us, but i know she feels like that is a lot as we provide a lot of cheer leading for her. She could easily go to crappy state u down the road for free, but it is an AWFUL place, cruddy excuse for an education, and will be a dog eat dog world in a pea soup of staff that don't give a care. We talked her out of even applying. 

At any rate, two acceptances and both of them decent fit, and financially acceptable. She has a couple of reaches still out, and that's it. Even if she gets into the reaches, I am not confident that the money would work out.

Secretly voting for Alma, fingers crossed, because I think she will really blossom.

And honorary daughter that graduated high school the same year as DD, and then crammed four years of college into three in order to save money, got a promotion at work, and then bought a house. It's a great house! We are sooooo super proud of her.

• Like 34