Menu

Aspergers

BlsdMama

We've considered having DD officially diagnosed with Aspergers for years... We began to suspect asserting four or five.

She is extremely typical and I have no doubts anymore. She is twelve now.

I an considering it simply because of the ease of a label. I have close family who thinks she needs to "get" socializing. Lol. She actually does pretty great and no one can recognize how hard she has to work at this our why she gets overwhelmed. I think the "official" label would work to her benefit.

Is that legitimate or stupid?

On an aside, I just found out hypermedia is a trademark of Aspergers. Rebecca taught herself too read when she was 4-5 after me telling her the sounds a couple times.... I had no idea before apostasy tonight that that was one of the markers. Interesting.

• Like 1

We've considered having DD officially diagnosed with Aspergers for years... We began to suspect asserting four or five.

She is extremely typical and I have no doubts anymore. She is twelve now.

I an considering it simply because of the ease of a label. I have close family who thinks she needs to "get" socializing. Lol. She actually does pretty great and no one can recognize how hard she has to work at this our why she gets overwhelmed. I think the "official" label would work to her benefit.

Is that legitimate or stupid?

On an aside, I just found out hypermedia is a trademark of Aspergers. Rebecca taught herself too read when she was 4-5 after me telling her the sounds a couple times.... I had no idea before apostasy tonight that that was one of the markers. Interesting.

Wow, that's a lot of autocorrect (I'm not even sure what apostasy was supposed to be). But anyway, yes, it's legitimate - it can help her know that it's not some character flaw or w/e. Of course, if she can compensate too well, she might miss getting diagnosed even if you have her evaluated, unless you get someone who specializes in Aspie girls of above normal intelligence (assuming she's above normal what with this being the accelerated board). Girls often present differently and more subtly in a sense than boys. And yes, they got rid of Asperger's in the DSM5, but when looking for an evaluator I'd still ask about experience with Asperger's - you don't need someone who specializes in the lower end of the spectrum or anything. Of course, she may end up with social communication disorder or w/e they named it instead of autism. Which is fine too - whatever happens to describe her best (though it might be easier to get services with an autism label).

I'm wondering what signs you saw when she was younger. We've looked into it for my Dd who's 4.75 and her doctor doesn't agree. However I am at my whits end with meltdowns lately (over clothing and perfectionism).

I think a diagnosis is important if you truly suspect this to be the issue. A diagnosis opens up opportunities for therapy and extra services. It will also provide understanding for your Dd if she is wondering why she thinks the way she does.

I don't have much experience with high functioning ASD at that Age, but I do know that a diagnosis is important for services

My family would not change much in their expections due to the diagnose.

When a child becomes 12 (+) it has to learn the social rules.

So we try to learn dd how to balance / reload herself in these occasions.

We all just read 'Aspergirl' from Rudy Simone. We like the book very much and it was good to read for dd she is not alone. (and that even Aspergers can be on different places of their spectrum)

I decided to put sociology and psychology on her schedule. Mostly for input, but in the hope she can use it somewhere in her life.

• Like 1

I an considering it simply because of the ease of a label. I have close family who thinks she needs to "get" socializing.

My friend's high school son is HFA and has an IEP for a long time already. He was in public school since K. The autism spectrum is a spectrum after all and while the label is helpful in terms of getting services, it isn't helpful for relatives who don't understand autism.

Social skills theraphy is offered for autism. Your close family might nag you about therapy if your child gets the label especially if your relative is the reactive, need to do something kind.

• Like 1

Wow, that's a lot of autocorrect (I'm not even sure what apostasy was supposed to be). But anyway, yes, it's legitimate - it can help her know that it's not some character flaw or w/e. Of course, if she can compensate too well, she might miss getting diagnosed even if you have her evaluated, unless you get someone who specializes in Aspie girls of above normal intelligence (assuming she's above normal what with this being the accelerated board). Girls often present differently and more subtly in a sense than boys. And yes, they got rid of Asperger's in the DSM5, but when looking for an evaluator I'd still ask about experience with Asperger's - you don't need someone who specializes in the lower end of the spectrum or anything. Of course, she may end up with social communication disorder or w/e they named it instead of autism. Which is fine too - whatever happens to describe her best (though it might be easier to get services with an autism label).

Agreed, but my ASD 12 y.o. is a boy, not a girl. It's trickier to figure out in a girl. There are some moms on the Learning Challenges board with girls in that age range who have ASD.

Is there a database somewhere of assessors who specialize in high functioning girls with above normal intelligence?

Word of mouth. However I found this list for professionals recommended for girls with autism. I would call and ask about 2E if anyone on the list is within commute distance and in your insurance coverage.

http://taniamarshall.com/female-asc-professionals.html

• Like 1

From my experience, there is little benefit but a lot of harm that comes from a DX of ASD when the child does not have cognitive delays. I can explain more later, but I am on my phone right now so it is difficult to type.

I'm interested in hearing more on this when you can type more. :)

• Like 2

We're in the process of having youngest DS (17) evaluated. His first (of two) testing dates is tomorrow. We're having him evaluated on the recommendation of the psychiatrist he's been seeing for anxiety issues that cropped up in the last couple of years. We thought about it for a couple of months before deciding to pursue testing, and we could come up with no valid reason not to. Also, we've seen other kids with issues (primarily ADHD) who did fine until college, and then they hit a brick wall at full speed and there was much scrambling to get an official diagnosis (or an updated diagnosis) for accommodations. We didn't want that to happen.

I'm interested in hearing more on this when you can type more. :)

I finally have my computer so I can type it in. My computer was in for repairs and it was too hard to type in from my phone.

My son was treated normal and fine by everyone before DX. After DX, others, who found out, started treating him very different. Activities he once participated in, suddenly, no one could see him, they could only see the DX and whatever their prejudice said about it. Maybe they watched Parenthood and now, suddenly, in their minds, my child was like that, even though he was not. Something I frequently heard, from people teaching kids activities including Lego Robotics "oh yeah, kids "like that" SEEM smart." and "I thought he did well, but now that I know he has Aspergers, I realize it only seemed he understood." and...from the teacher who had my child for almost 2 years and thought my child was sm smart and no different from the other kids "I now look closer and realize he does not comprehend anything nor does he interact with others." NO, none of this is true. They simply heard the DX and then their prejudices were so extreme that they could no longer see him. I tried to get him in to a charter school but the moment they heard Aspergers, nope, his application suddenly got lost. I have been in support groups for this and competitive schools, if they find out the child has ASD, they are far less likely to get accepted. Oh, and in public school, he was the automatic blame for everything. If someone picked on him, he got blamed because he was the one who had something "wrong" with him.

Unless there is a benefit, a benefit to the child, not just you would like to know, then forget it. There is far more harm than benefit to the DX. Even if the only person who knows is the child, there is far more damage to be done than not. I do think a lot of people are diagnosed today that were never DX'd in the past. Sadly, once someone has the dx for their child, they seem to think it means a pass on any sort of parenting or discipline or expectations. 

Only benefit I could imagine is, if you suspect a treatable mental illness might be the problem instead of ASD, then for the sake of getting treatment or medication, it can help to know. Such as, Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder can have some overlapping symptoms and can be treated with medication and such. ASD is better handled by giving sensory rich activities and environment.

Edited by Janeway
  • Like 3

I had my ds aspie diagnosed at 14-15yo without any social ramifications whatsoever.  I did it because at the time I was fearful he'd never be independent.  The fears were unfounded, and he is doing great in college (he does use the dx for extra time in math.)  I always wished I had diagnosed earlier, and would recommend that approach.   He knows the diagnosis is there if he needs it, if it can help.  If he prefers to fit in, he just doesn't bring up the diagnosis.  My recommendation would be diagnosis.

That said, I just listened to Dr. Atwood talking about ASD in girls, and how different it looks.  All 3 girls in our family have some aspie traits (each different), but I am doubtful I will seek diagnosis for any of us because we are functioning fine without it.  We are each a little socially awkward in our own way, but nothing I think a diagnosis would solve or help with.  I just can't see any benefit for a diagnosis for us.  If you think it will benefit your daughter, though, you're probably right.  If its severe enough, a diagnosis may be a relief that says "oh, that's what my problem is!" Maybe middle school social skills classes would help!  (I think my oldest had a bit of that relief with his diagnosis, but its also a matter of degree of severity to whether its worth it, and only you can make that call!)

• Like 2