Menu

1st world, homeschooled teen problem-jawm.

"Mom, I have almost nothing left to read. My book shelf is just about empty!"

Well, I have been purging books, but mainly, this kid reads a book or two per day, faster than I can get new material in the house. And he hasn't been giving me suggestions to request from the library much lately. So, yeah, his shelves are mostly full of things he doesn't want to read that get picked over each time he needs a new book, lol. Not so much into the classics, so he still has a bunch to choose from:)

Not looking for suggestions, just whining about my homeschool mom problem..out of stuff to read. Never thought I'd hear that one!

• Like 9

Check if your library has a subscription to TotalBoox. My library just subscribed and it is suppose to be no limit on borrowing and indefinite loan period.

http://www.totalboox.com

ETA:

I'm also pampered with Hoopla, Zinio (magazines) and Overdrive.

Hoopla https://www.hoopladigital.com/home;jsessionid=60BCB969E290AD8D9F4AD66A60F229BD

Overdrive https://www.overdrive.com

Zinio https://www.zinio.com/www/index.jsp?_requestid=140347#/

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

We just got a good overdrive set up here, but I'm finding mostly fluff type books on there, maybe I'm searching wrong, I've been rushed both times I browsed. He's read a ton of Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, adventure, spy, & Sci Fi stuff aready which seemed to be what I was finding.

• Like 1

We have this problem at my house. What helped us, which may not help you:

Our library allies patrons to place their own holds for items online. My dd has her user name and password. I taught her how to USE the catalog, novelist select, and Amazon recommendations and told her to have enough to read.

She hasn't run out of material since. We do however come home with a very tall stack

ETA: apparently I can't read. You weren't looking for suggestions. I feel ya. It's hard keeping a reader in books.

Edited by athomeontheprairie

You know, I really should explain to him that he is capable of looking for & requesting books himself!

Seriously, I've been doing it for so many years for him, but he's past old enough now for sure!

Life skill he needs to know:)

I do rotate with assigning some to him, but still, he reads so fast. Like I used to, pre kid, lol.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

I had this problem when I was a kid. My parents would drop me at the library for a few hours, go run errands, and by the time I was done browsing I would have 15-20 books to take home with me. Basically they put me in a position to solve the problem myself and it was very efficient.  :thumbup1:

Edited by idnib
  • Like 4

Oh my goodness, I am having this problem with my ten year old! We have a ton of books here, many that he has read several times. I have books I have set aside as school books, those he mostly has not read. Part of me wonders if I should just turn him loose on the classics I have set aside, but then whatever will he read after that? And at just 10 (next week), there are so many books that he could read, but not handle content.

That's a great problem to have. 

I like the free classics in the public domain - so many to choose from.

Also...can you keep a stash of extras that you find for cheap at the thrift stores or yard sales?  That's how we have amassed our immense book collection. :-)

Amy

long-time homeschooling mama to 4