Menu

Roommate - or lack thereof...

Mom22ns

Dd got her roommate assignment back in June. However, when she contacted the roommate, the girl said she was going to a different college. She told dd she would let housing know. Well, move in is this week and dd never got a new roommate assigned. She called housing this morning and they told her they still had the same girl down. Apparently she didn't tell them she wasn't coming. Dd messaged supposed roommate again to ask if she had changed her mind and has not gotten a response. Dd has gotten to know her suite mates and really likes them.

What are the odds of her staying in her room? Does anyone know what will be done when this girl doesn't show up? Will someone else move in? Will the move dd? Is there any way to predict? I know the dorms aren't full. They sent out a message saying if you want a private room, there are some available and to contact housing.

Any thoughts? Anyone ever had a similar situation?

In all likelihood, your dd will stay in the room. A last minute person from the waiting list may move in. My guess though is your dd may have a good chance of having no room mate for the first semester.

My son's roommate moved out during first semester last year and ds ended up with no roommate through second semester too (that's unusual).

• Like 2

In all likelihood, your dd will stay in the room. A last minute person from the waiting list may move in. My guess though is your dd may have a good chance of having no room mate for the first semester.

My son's roommate moved out during first semester last year and ds ended up with no roommate through second semester too (that's unusual).

Dd didn't really want a private room, but since she likes her suite mates, it might be nice to have friends nearby and a private retreat when she needs it. 

Just keep an eye out that they do not decide to charge you for a private room. Be sure they know that your dd requested a double, was assigned a room mate and will change to another room or welcome another roommate if one is assigned. It is no fault of hers if none are assigned.

• Like 7

At my daughter's school if your roommate didn't show up you had to find someone in a similar situation to pair up with or they would charge you for a single. They had a deadline of a month or so into the semester, and they would hold meetings for all the kids in that situation to meet and decide who to room with. So definitely make sure you don't get charged for a single.

• Like 1

At my daughter's school if your roommate didn't show up you had to find someone in a similar situation to pair up with or they would charge you for a single. They had a deadline of a month or so into the semester, and they would hold meetings for all the kids in that situation to meet and decide who to room with. So definitely make sure you don't get charged for a single.

I love the idea of holding meetings for the kids in that situation. Having the opportunity to get to know who else is available and finding someone she finds compatible would be great!

• Like 1

Well, if she were like my son, she'd be praying that they forget about assigning another roommate. He had 2 semesters with his best friend, and 2 years with quite skanky, odd, smelly, racist guys. You name it, he lived with it, lol. As a senior, he finally got a single room in a dorm townhouse, with his girlfriend 3 doors down. He's over the moon happy so far.

Ugh. I guess being roommate-free has advantages.

The fact is she knows no one in the entire state where she is headed, let alone the town or at the college she will attend. She wants a roommate, just so she isn't alone.

I imagine your dd will stay in the room and Housing will try and move someone else in.  There are always last-minute changes.  Someone who had been on a wait list, or someone who didn't like their assigned roommate and asked for a new one, someone who had originally been planning to be gone on a semester abroad and then wasn't, etc.

One of my dd's had three different roommates come and go during her first year!

And the answer is...

She has a room to herself... for now. Housing said that if they needed the room, she would receive an email letting her know someone would be moving in.

When we arrived on campus today, her door had her name and the roommate-that-wasn't-coming's name. However, after we got her moved in, went to lunch and came back, the extra name sticker had been removed. There is a chance someone will still move in, but it sure was nice to have the full room to pile stuff in while we were moving her in and organizing. :)

• Like 3

Dd 1's freshmn roommate moved out over Christmas. Dd1 was only charged for the double, even though she only had a single for spring semester.

The WEIRD thing is that housing told her that she had to keep the second mattress completely free of stuff. If maintenance ever came in and found her stuff on the second mattress, she would be charged at the single rate. :confused1: So dd1 lived with a naked mattress all spring semester!

Dd was told to not use the other side of the room, but there were no threats of inspection or charges if she did. The beds in her dorm are adjustable height and so we raised the other bed high enough to put the desk, dresser, and night stand under it. It is all out of the way and the mattress has a black vinyl cover that doesn't look bad, so it isn't an eye sore. So far, it seems just fine. :)

This actually happened to me one year, my roommate never showed up. They re-assigned me with another girl who's roommate didn't show up as well, without taking into any consideration our preferences(sleep habits, friends over, etc) that they would have in the initial roommate matching. It wasn't a great match, but we got along reasonably well. My only complaint was that she had a brother who came down and hung out a lot, and I found him incredibly annoying and rude.

I transferred and we lost touch for several years. I happened to be coworkers with the Rude and Annoying Brother about nine years ago and we put two and two together, and he put us back in touch. She and I are now good friends and see each other often. Rude and Annoying Brother and I have been happily married for seven and a half years now.

So sometimes roommate problems have a way of working out...

Edited by MedicMom
  • Like 15

This actually happened to me one year, my roommate never showed up. They re-assigned me with another girl who's roommate didn't show up as well, without taking into any consideration our preferences(sleep habits, friends over, etc) that they would have in the initial roommate matching. It wasn't a great match, but we got along reasonably well. My only complaint was that she had a brother who came down and hung out a lot, and I found him incredibly annoying and rude.

I transferred and we lost touch for several years. I happened to be coworkers with the Rude and Annoying Brother about nine years ago and we put two and two together, and he put us back in touch. She and I are now good friends and see each other often. Rude and Annoying Brother and I have been happily married for seven and a half years now.

So sometimes roommate problems have a way of working out...

What a hilarious, sweet story!!

My middle had a roommate first semester, but then that girl deployed overseas. Dd was only charged the double price BUT she had to NOT use the other side of the room. Which was pretty weird. The RA used to check to make sure... Silly, rather. 

That's pretty bizarre!

Dd had a German exchange student as a roomie for the first trimester, then the girl went back to Germany and dd had the room to herself. Her RA suggested and then helped her move the bed and extra desk to a storage room. Dd was charged a double rate all year, but was told if they needed the room she might get a roomie.  It was awesome.