Menu

Best online remedial English course or English tutor

Think very remedial. It is for my nephew who is "catching up" in an attempt to graduate. He should be in 11th grade. Short version of a long story-- he didn't school very much at all for years. He moved in with us winter of his 10th grade year. Since then he has made great strides, but moved back in with his parents over Christmas. I am helping his mom put a plan together for this year. She will "work the plan" but gets too overwhelmed to make one herself. That said, she can "help" but an outside class or tutor for teaching would be much better. 

For the end of 10th he worked on basic vocabulary, spelling, and writing skills with a tutor. Mostly worked on math. For 11th he completed Time for Writing basic grammar, paragraph, and essay (each 8 week courses). 

I would like an online course or tutor for him to continue working towards solidifying skills.

I was thinking about a Landry Academy class as I can get cheap generics, but thinking English iv might be too much for him. The ER English class sounds just what he needs but it it full. 

Other options? Ideas? Thank you! 

For reference, he has gone from being unable to multiply to halfway through TT Algebra 1, completed Biology with DIVE last year and is doing Notgrass highschool history-- he is struggling but working through everything. He is capable, just had not been taught. Accountability for them is key.

• Like 2

WriteGuide?  One-on-one tutor, daily contact (by email), will meet student where they are and follow parent's and/or student's goals, or if the parent doesn't have any clear goals, they'll devise a plan themselves.  It's about $70/month.  You can also request a tutor based on your needs - the clearer you are, the better.

• Like 1

Write at Home. I'd do their 9th grade English. They recommend everyone start there and his case, I thing it would be perfect.

You'd need to add some literature. I would either grab EIL Introduction to lit and take it at his pace or just pick a few books and do some lit guides with them. 

• Like 1

Another consideration:  check into Dianne Craft's website for her right brain writing materials. The DVD demonstrating this is very good. These teaching techniques work for young people who do not have "disabilities" too. It is just an organization method for visual thinkers, and it has helped me personally. These ideas can be easily adapted to give instruction to any age level student. If I had learned like this, writing would have been much easier growing up.

Now I use this with my own children. She will email the method instructions to anyone who asks. (See the article)

http://www.diannecraft.org/right-brain-writing/

• Like 1

Looks like Write guide is out of buisness per their facebook link and missing web page. Bummer.

:( That's a shame. Their Facebook page says they closed the business on June 30, but no explanation. Wonder what happened? We used them a few times over the years and were very happy... it was a good model...

Edited by Matryoshka