Menu

Brain Integration Therapy book by Dianne Craft ?

I used this for a couple of months. I wasn't confident it was what we needed and if it would work. I felt hesitant ditching what we were doing. After 2 months I went back to our old program while still incorporating some of her methods. Then I got side tracked by surgery. You do daily exercises similar to brain gym and once a week you do a repatterning using the exercises and muscle testing. She also has a reading, writing, and spelling program which involves Merrill readers, reading lists of words over and over with certain letters in red, sight words with pictures and stories. It wasn't a good fit for us; I always felt like something was missing. There were no rules, which is why I like Barton. The book didn't have all the word lists we needed, so I had to make some of my own, which is no big deal. You can buy some sight word flash cards from her but then you're on your own to make more which was kind of fun but also A pain.

My son is definitely more of a right-brained learner and these methods do help him. Barton incorporates some of the same stuff for sight words. Barton is a a better fit for us. I feel like we are progressing and can see more clearly where we are headed. We are doing VT which incorporates some BIT and a couple of other BIT type exercises. My chiropractor says it works, so we'll continue to do the exercises.

Cindy

I know two people IRL who have used these exercises (in the BIT), depending on their child's needs, and have really seen improvement.

One said it took a few months and she wanted to call it quits, but suddenly she started seeing improvement in her son's writing.

We had a thread on this a little while ago and katalaska had a paper she had written about BIT (favorable).

If I can find the link, I'll post it.

Cindy,

Are the BIT exercises you are doing like the BIT exercises in the book "Brain Integration Therapy" by Dianne Craft ?

Sherry

Some of it is in the book. Right now I have my son doing two exercises: cross-skipping (or cross-crawling as it's called in the book). My chirop. said to put more movement into it. The other one is one my chirop recommended, lying on an exercise ball and raising opposite arms and legs at the same time. Anything where you are crossing the midline is good. That will probably only make sense if you have read about BIT. My chirop. also said freestyle swimming is good. I was also thinking karate would be good too, and ds is interested.

I think all the exercises are in Brain Gym, also. My VT also incorporates some of the tracking exercises like the eye 8's. We also did writing 8's, which is very tedious, but I think my sons printing improved. We didn't do it as long as we were supposed to, and his hw wasn't terrible just not good.

I mentioned the repatterning. There are 3 kinds: writing, visual, and auditory. You spend a certain number of weeks on each one (this session being done only once per week). Craft said it would be the repatterning that would really make a difference. Supposedly it causes the brain to notice that there are deficiencies so to speak and I guess this encourages the developement of new connections between the hemispheres or compensate or something like that. I haven't read the book in a while and this is a very simplified explanation. I could be wrong but this is my understanding.

Maybe we'll continue with more of the BIT when VT is finished. There are only so many hours in a day.

Cindy