Menu

Book rec needed re: ASD with a bright kid

Our family counselor has suggested I do some reading on Asberger's / ASD because it would be helpful in parenting my oldest. Many of the books summaries I'm reading seem to focus more on the LD side of things, so I'm wondering if you all can suggest something good for me to read for an academically bright kid who does seem to have some ASD tendencies (obliviousness to social cues, insistence verging on obsessiveness that things are done one specific way, etc.) I know a number of folks here have 2E kiddos, so I just thought I'd ask. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

I don't have a recommendation for what you are asking about, but we discovered a great set of picture books that have greatly helped Ds with some of the issues you mention in your post. (They haven't solved the issues, but have given us openings to discuss them and he can be aware of them). It is a set of books by Julia Cook called "Best Me I Can Be". Some titles include "I Just Want to do it My Way", "I Can't Believe You Said That" (about social filters), "Thanks for the Feedback" (accepting criticism and compliments).

Julia Cook has other books too that we really enjoyed. Some favourites are:

Personal Space Camp

It's Hard to be a Verb

Making Friends is an Art

I don't know how helpful these would be for 2e/ASD - they might not be what you're looking for at all - but the books that come to my mind for general 2e strengths are:

The Dyslexic Advantage by the Eides (applies to non-dyslexic, VSLs too)

Upside Down Brilliance by Silverman (all about VSLs; probably my favorite learning-related book of all-time)

Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children by Webb (this is a distant third, wasn't that helpful but I can't remember what's in it)

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 2

I recently read Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children by Webb.

It doesn't really help much with strategies, but it does help to see the line between gifted characteristics and other conditions/diagnoses.

Eg here's a list of defining characteristics for ASD and now here's a list of the similar-looking characteristics of gifted children. It also gives case studies to help see the differences. I found it helpful.

I have a 4 yo girl with high functioning autism.  She is a very bright, self-motivated and independent learner who taught herself how to read and add/subtract 0-20 fluently by age 3.  She also has strong fine motor skills in the areas of cutting, pasting, coloring and handwriting.  However, her social and communication skills are weak due to her ASD traits and severe speech delay along with some sensory and behavioral issues. 

The book we found most helpful was the one written by Bill Nason.  We have the green one called "The Autism Discussion Page on anxiety, behavior, school, and parenting strategies: A toolbox for helping children with autism feel safe, accepted, and competent."  I follow his Facebook page, too.  What he says about ASD kids and the tips he suggests make so much sense to me and help me understand my "quirky" DD better. 

I also have another book called "A Parent's Guide to High-Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive" but haven't gotten to it yet so have no opinion on it. 

• Like 1

I don't have a recommendation for what you are asking about, but we discovered a great set of picture books that have greatly helped Ds with some of the issues you mention in your post. (They haven't solved the issues, but have given us openings to discuss them and he can be aware of them). It is a set of books by Julia Cook called "Best Me I Can Be". Some titles include "I Just Want to do it My Way", "I Can't Believe You Said That" (about social filters), "Thanks for the Feedback" (accepting criticism and compliments).

Julia Cook has other books too that we really enjoyed. Some favourites are:

Personal Space Camp

It's Hard to be a Verb

Making Friends is an Art

I have a serious place reserved in my heart for the Julia Cook books. When I first saw them my reaction was a bit more...uninspired? As in okay, pretty obvious there:)

But they absolutely helped my PG, ADHD, OCD and whatever else dd understand some of the things she might experience, even if it was just mimicry.

I absolutely recommend them:)

We found the Tony Attwood books to be helpful with our 2e ASD kiddo.

It can be hard to find a social skills person or behaviorist who will work with 2e kids, but ask around. Glossing over things hoping that these kids will pick them up "intellectually" is a difficult strategy--it might work, it might not. 

One thing I found is that our kiddo does many of the things that kids with different profiles do and struggles with many of the same things, it's just at a totally different level, and it might be on a less consistent basis. Understanding more about how those things are worked on with younger kids or kids who needs support does give us insight into how to approach things with our son, but we have to tweak things.