Menu

Looking for a course in Logic and Mathematical Reasoning

mathnerd

This is my son's favorite topic and we have put together various resources (CTC, Prufrock, Dover books, Beast Academy 4B, math contest questions, computer algorithms etc) over the years and he has worked on them for fun. He would like to study Logic and Reasoning as a course - are there text books available that systematically go through all the topics and provide exercises and examples? I tried searching the forums and cannot find any older threads on this topic - but, if there are, I would appreciate links to them. Thanks.

We are looking eimacs because of that. My kids are finishing summer classes and starting fall classes so we are seeing how heavy their fall workload are first before adding any course.

https://www.eimacs.com/parent_aml_overview.htm

ETA:

We went to imacs Silicon Valley but after BA, the classes there are likely to be too easy for your son.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

We are looking eimacs because of that. My kids are finishing summer classes and starting fall classes so we are seeing how heavy their fall workload are first before adding any course.

https://www.eimacs.com/parent_aml_overview.htm

ETA:

We went to imacs Silicon Valley but after BA, the classes there are likely to be too easy for your son.

Thank you. I have iMacs on my radar for the future. My son attends the local Math Circle and they introduce logic topics, but it is not very systematic.

Do you know of any Formal Logic books that cover "Introduction to Logic"? That would let us go at our own pace.

Edited by mathnerd

I'd recommend the Dover paperback A First Course in Mathematical Logic by Patrick Suppes & Shirley Hill. Check the "peek inside" feature to see whether the level is appropriate. There's a free solutions pdf online.

Thank you for the recommendation, Kathy. Some of the topics in this book are new to my son, so I am getting the book.

• Like 1

We browse through the bookshelves at Barnes and Noble and have read the Dover Publication ones. However my kids favor Boolean algebra, LSAT puzzles, rhetoric over topics like Set Theory. Still we get ideas from the books at Barnes and Noble for what to link+/ILL.

I'd recommend the Dover paperback A First Course in Mathematical Logic by Patrick Suppes & Shirley Hill. Check the "peek inside" feature to see whether the level is appropriate. There's a free solutions pdf online.

And this is why I lurk so much on these boards. My son will love this and it is already on its way from Amazon. Thank you, Kathy!

• Like 1

We are going to order the book as well. It looks pretty interesting! Noticed that some of the topics like truth tables are covered in AOPS Intermediate Counting & Probability?

We are going to order the book as well. It looks pretty interesting! Noticed that some of the topics like truth tables are covered in AOPS Intermediate Counting & Probability?

Yep, I've been playing with the AoPS Intermediate C&P text lately, and there were a couple of lessons on propositions, conjunction & disjunction, converse & contrapositive, and truth tables early in the book. I always found logic so fun as a kid (and I still do :) )!

• Like 2