Menu

TV as social skills training

Any suggestions for good current, not vintage, shows to encourage 11 and 14 year old girls to watch? Dd's ABA therapist thinks seeing social situations play out would be good, but I'm just not up on what's out there.

The girls are familiar with Looney Tunes, nature shows, old BBC stuff like Jeeves and Wooster and Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes, the British Bake-Off show. Attempts to encourage Star Trek and Dr. Who have elicited little interest. They don't like action shows or movies like Star Wars. They do like a lot of vintage sitcoms, but the BCBA specifically wants current shows.

Since the purpose is to expose them to language and social situations which might be familiar to middle schoolers, my normal standards of basic good taste do not necessarily apply. Sigh. Still, we don't want anything really gratuitous: 5th grade potty humor yes, Game of Thrones no. I know they know my standards by now, and we'll discuss things as they come up.

So, what are your middle schoolers enjoying? Or what do they hear that their friends watch?

• Like 1

These are a bit dated, probably, but Disney shows I have watched in the past couple of years.

Shake It Up: 2 girls are in a tv show where they dance. Very funny.

Jessie: a young woman moves to Manhattan and is a nanny for a wealthy family. Pretty funny.

Good Luck Charlie: a family with teens has a new baby, Charlie. She is an adorable toddler or pre-schooler. The older sister is the main character. I like it.

I have never watched Dog With a Blog, but my son and nieces liked it. My son watched it on Netflix.

All of these are (or were in the last 2 years or so) available on Netflix.

They might be more for older elementary kids, than for middle school kids, but the characters are young high school age I think.

My nieces (12 and 16) watch cooking shows now and then still watch some stupid cartoons. I think they watch NCIS with my sister, it is her favorite show. I don't know what the popular shows are for them.

If you have Netflix and go to any of these shows, you get shown all the other Disney shows like this.

There are some shows like ANT Farm, that I think takes place in a gifted school, and Lab Rats, which is about some robot children (???) that I think are fairly new, and seem like they are set in schools. I have seen them just a bit.

I saw a bit of Liv and Maddie when we visited a relative with cable. It is about twin girls who have opposite personalities.

Those are the main ones I have seen.

I think these all may be a little young for middle school, and a little dated maybe, but they have that "teens hanging around with teens" vibe, and they are not very old.

I will be interested in what other people say :).

• Like 1

These are dated now but still modern.... When my 16-year-old niece was younger, Hannah Montana and Wizards of Waverly Place were extremely popular Disney shows.

My kids were way too young at the time, but I was aware of these two shows being really popular Disney shows at the time.

Hannah Montana: a high school girl is also a pop star, but no one at her school knows.

Wizards of Waverly Place: like Bewitched.

I have not seen them. My own kids would probably refuse to watch them bc they are too old. But they are not old to me, less than 10 years old I bet.

My niece used to wear Hannah Montana shirts and everything.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

Omg! Dog with a blog is Sooo funny! I like that show myself...shhh lol

Good luck Charlie , my boys love . they love that the big family had a new baby. :)

Liv and Maddie too. Boys like that. It's gender neutral tho, all of them.

We've watched these for the same reason. Social nuances .

Austin and alley...the girls write songs and the boy performs.

Bizarre bark...2 girls making funny videos.

The last 2 I sort of limit.

Lecka hit all the good ones.

There are Sooo many not good ones out there. I can see you want to be careful and so are we.

We didn't have satellite til the SN teacher suggested mom predetermined shows.

Lecka hit the nail on the head.

I wouldn't nesscarily let them have a ton of show choices...cuz again...there's alot not good.

Lecka hit it, and the other 2 I mentioned are about the only ones I let them watch.

Preview them and see.

Man, dog with a blog is soooo funny and good. Like I said, I like that show lol

Edited by Kat w
  • Like 1

...I didn't much care for wizards of waverly place ( kids did tho lol)

It Hanna Montana.. And that's just BC I don't want them looking at miley Cyrus now in the news n say...uh? I just don't want them looking up to her.

Edited by Kat w
  • Like 1

My son's favorite of these is Dog With a Blog!

Maybe I will check it out again with one of my little kids :)

Oh Lecka, you will have fun with it I think.

I find myself saying...y'all don't wanna watch dog with a blog instead? Baha.

It comes in the same time as Mickey mouse club and my granddaughter ....loves Mickey mouse :/

When she's not here...it's dog with a blog lol ;)