What's with the ads?

Photo

Son had evaluation this week but minimal feedback (update #284)

363 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#351 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11009 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

Dh and I are trying to compile all our out of pocket expenses for the past year. Apparently we got enrolled in something without our full knowledge that withheld a certain sum of money for medical. Whatever we spent out of pocket on medical we can submit for a refund up to that amount. So if we do it right the eval and some other expenses should be reimbursed. If we didn't already exceed the total when we're done adding it up then the glasses I got the kids this month should be covered.

texasmama, the proactive stuff with the school sounds good. Glad that you offer input to your son when he is receptive. Same for Canadian Mom. FWIW, I always seem to run out of time on tests. Even if I know I have to pace myself, I just can't answer stuff as fast as necessary. I am not proud of my ACT score but it didn't hold me back, either.

Well, we just got our phone call! On the plus side, we have specific dates now, but on the down side it's just an autism evaluation. I should have known that government funded would not get us more than that! There's no ID, therefore they will not do an educational eval. Looks like educational evaluations will have to wait for the future and will be out of pocket :(

Forgive my ignorance, what does the educational evaluation entail or what are you hoping to learn from it? I am sorry they aren't offering you everything you were hoping for. I do hope you can find a reasonable price for one. Paying out of pocket is no fun.

• Canadian Mom of 2 and OneStepAtATime like this

#352 Canadian Mom of 2

Canadian Mom of 2

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5223 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:08 AM

I have called a few places to find an audiologist for it. Today was the best lead I got so far. A university hearing and speech clinic said they do a hearing test and APD screening (combined total of just under $150). They don't take insurance so it's irrelevant that my insurance company will not cover it. I don't know if you saw the post (this thread is really long now and I haven't had a chance to reply back to everything, actually) but his ins. does not cover stuff with ears unless it's like the child had an accident that required surgery on the ear or something like that.

I have not told dh about the university phone call yet. Not in a rush to tell him. Just happy I found out.

I do that also. I have a backup plan for an educational evaluation through a university at a fraction of the cost but we need a referral. I just want to get these evaluations done to see what comes out of it. It doesn't even sound like they'll be running a speech/ language eval on my 8 yr old. It looks like the impression I had back then was not entirely off. So to get a speech eval after the fact will take a 1/4 of the funding. Ditto for OT eval, leaving us with next to nothing for actual therapies.

Our medical system is not really "free". My husband's employer covers it, making it a taxable benefit. His extended, which is supposed to be a good plan, only covers a small fraction for a speech evaluation. Thankfully, it appears they do cover speech therapy but that's another thing to look into to confirm what they do cover.

The irony is that they are sending us to a center that specializes in gifted children, offers CBT, parent support for behavioral problems, and EF tutoring. They are probably a couple of hours away from us but I would still welcome their services, I just don't know how much we will actually have access to, like they're dangling the carrot... Oh well, use to that now! I'll still find the best way to support my kids!

Edited by Canadian Mom of 2, 21 June 2017 - 02:11 AM.

#353 Canadian Mom of 2

Canadian Mom of 2

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5223 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:06 AM

Dh and I are trying to compile all our out of pocket expenses for the past year. Apparently we got enrolled in something without our full knowledge that withheld a certain sum of money for medical. Whatever we spent out of pocket on medical we can submit for a refund up to that amount. So if we do it right the eval and some other expenses should be reimbursed. If we didn't already exceed the total when we're done adding it up then the glasses I got the kids this month should be covered.

Hope all works out and you get whatever you need, covered!

texasmama, the proactive stuff with the school sounds good. Glad that you offer input to your son when he is receptive. Same for Canadian Mom. FWIW, I always seem to run out of time on tests. Even if I know I have to pace myself, I just can't answer stuff as fast as necessary. I am not proud of my ACT score but it didn't hold me back, either.

My son has not had standardized tests yet but when we do tests at home, if he is stressed about being timed, it can make him freeze up and slow him down. He is still learning to manage his anxiety. My husband and I have always tested well. I'm the one with the anxiety in the family but I learned early on to channel it to hyperfocusing when I need to and have very powerful problem solving abilities. He can do that also, I have seen that in him, but it is not consistent. It needs work. He also has some EF issues that I did not have that need work. If I have no other choice, I will just continue to help him and support him myself.

Forgive my ignorance, what does the educational evaluation entail or what are you hoping to learn from it? I am sorry they aren't offering you everything you were hoping for. I do hope you can find a reasonable price for one. Paying out of pocket is no fun.

Thank you!

The educational eval would give me specific details on strengths and weaknesses, show me if there is in fact a LD, and IQ. I'll probably just pursue the educational eval through the university for now and pay for a full eval when he is in high school. The university evaluation will be less than $1K, where as the full eval through psych or neuropsych, upwards of $2K and as high as $3.5K . One step at a time!

Praying for strength for all of us :)

Edited by Canadian Mom of 2, 21 June 2017 - 02:08 AM.

#354 OhElizabeth

OhElizabeth

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29078 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:12 AM

I have called a few places to find an audiologist for it. Today was the best lead I got so far. A university hearing and speech clinic said they do a hearing test and APD screening (combined total of just under $150). They don't take insurance so it's irrelevant that my insurance company will not cover it. I don't know if you saw the post (this thread is really long now and I haven't had a chance to reply back to everything, actually) but his ins. does not cover stuff with ears unless it's like the child had an accident that required surgery on the ear or something like that.

I have not told dh about the university phone call yet. Not in a rush to tell him. Just happy I found out.

That's exciting! Did you go ahead and get on the wait list or get it scheduled? Better to be on the list and cancel if for some reason your dh disagrees. That's a really good option. We got ours done through a university, and it was a very good experience. It's students supervised by a professor (at least at ours) and they really slow down and talk with you. It gives you time to ask questions and understand, and having a professor supervising (even if it's just in the adjacent room in earshot) is really superb. For one the professor spent the whole time (1 1/2 hours) with us and for the other she came over when she heard us and remembered us. :)

Well, we just got our phone call! On the plus side, we have specific dates now, but on the down side it's just an autism evaluation. I should have known that government funded would not get us more than that! There's no ID, therefore they will not do an educational eval. Looks like educational evaluations will have to wait for the future and will be out of pocket :(

Will they do language testing, OT, etc.? So they'll do all that but not IQ? I don't know, that's quite the system. So you're saying in your country if kids have SLDs they don't have the legal right to evals?? Wow, never would have thought that. People can complain about quality and how it varies, but reality is in our country ANY dc with an SLD has the legal right to those evals through the ps. Might not be the best every time, but they have the right not only to the evals but then to dispute and request independent, 3rd party evals on the school's dime. So I'm sorry your system doesn't give you that access. :(

I guess take it as far as whatever they'll do. Seems like even an autism eval ought to be multi-factored and include SLP and OT.

#355 OhElizabeth

OhElizabeth

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29078 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:18 AM

The educational eval would give me specific details on strengths and weaknesses, show me if there is in fact a LD, and IQ. I'll probably just pursue the educational eval through the university for now and pay for a full eval when he is in high school. The university evaluation will be less than $1K, where as the full eval through psych or neuropsych, upwards of $2K and as high as $3.5K . One step at a time!

You might shop around or consider crossing the border. University *psych* evals seem to have almost all bad experiences around here on the boards. It's students, and it's way more complicated than a hearing test and a fully scripted SCAN3, kwim? To do audiology at a university, no biggee, they could hardly screw it up. But psych, they can totally screw that up. Even experienced psychs screw up complicated kids. If there's any time to get it right, it's now. By high school, you've already done the heavy lifting using the results.

#356 Canadian Mom of 2

Canadian Mom of 2

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5223 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

Will they do language testing, OT, etc.? So they'll do all that but not IQ? I don't know, that's quite the system. So you're saying in your country if kids have SLDs they don't have the legal right to evals?? Wow, never would have thought that. People can complain about quality and how it varies, but reality is in our country ANY dc with an SLD has the legal right to those evals through the ps. Might not be the best every time, but they have the right not only to the evals but then to dispute and request independent, 3rd party evals on the school's dime. So I'm sorry your system doesn't give you that access. :(

I guess take it as far as whatever they'll do. Seems like even an autism eval ought to be multi-factored and include SLP and OT.

OhE, I lost a post last night and I can't remember what actually ended up getting posted without going back. I was told, about 2 hours talking to us the parents and one hour with the child. The hospital refers you to different centers, but the hospital website says they bring together OT/PT, SLP, psych, developmental ped, etc. Now think, 1 hour with the child? They are definitely not running speech or OT testing. I have a feeling it has to do with the fact that my boys are high functioning. They most likely reserve those evals for severe cases. Makes you go hmmmm... but that's all I'll say. It tells me a lot about how much they want the kids that are not severe to succeed. If you don't have the deep pockets, you're on your own. Things differ from province to province. Not being connected with people locally, I can only speak from my experience and those of others I have read in blogs, etc.

School districts are not obligated to offer services to homeschoolers. That's what I know. I have the option of enrolling through an online school, and the lady that handles our homeschool registrations and I have spoken about that; we could do that through them. This would mean I would have to do reporting each week for both boys and my 13 yr old would get nothing. He is too high functioning and at grade level, probably advanced in math by local standards. Even the 8 yr old, we don't know what type of services he would get as the funding they get is significantly lower.

#357 Canadian Mom of 2

Canadian Mom of 2

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5223 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

You might shop around or consider crossing the border. University *psych* evals seem to have almost all bad experiences around here on the boards. It's students, and it's way more complicated than a hearing test and a fully scripted SCAN3, kwim? To do audiology at a university, no biggee, they could hardly screw it up. But psych, they can totally screw that up. Even experienced psychs screw up complicated kids. If there's any time to get it right, it's now. By high school, you've already done the heavy lifting using the results.

I found the local university a few months back when we didn't know if he was getting in for the testing through the autism clinic. I need to check it again but I remember the students were supervised and I seem to remember that they get referrals from school districts as well. For now, I just want to get through these evals and see what happens. There's still the question of whether my 13 yr old will get the autism diagnosis or not. The lady on the phone clarified that this is a yes or no to autism type of eval. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets a no so that he doesn't get the autism funding. Nothing would surprise me at this point :(

Edited by Canadian Mom of 2, 21 June 2017 - 12:41 PM.

#358 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11009 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:48 PM

Hope all works out and you get whatever you need, covered!

My son has not had standardized tests yet but when we do tests at home, if he is stressed about being timed, it can make him freeze up and slow him down. He is still learning to manage his anxiety. My husband and I have always tested well. I'm the one with the anxiety in the family but I learned early on to channel it to hyperfocusing when I need to and have very powerful problem solving abilities. He can do that also, I have seen that in him, but it is not consistent. It needs work. He also has some EF issues that I did not have that need work. If I have no other choice, I will just continue to help him and support him myself.

Thank you!

Praying for strength for all of us :)

:svengo: I hope everything works out as best as it can. He's lucky he has you to continue to support him even if other things don't pan out.

That's exciting! Did you go ahead and get on the wait list or get it scheduled? Better to be on the list and cancel if for some reason your dh disagrees. That's a really good option. We got ours done through a university, and it was a very good experience. It's students supervised by a professor (at least at ours) and they really slow down and talk with you. It gives you time to ask questions and understand, and having a professor supervising (even if it's just in the adjacent room in earshot) is really superb. For one the professor spent the whole time (1 1/2 hours) with us and for the other she came over when she heard us and remembered us. :)

I did not schedule it as I know things are really icky with dh and I on that topic. But I did ask about scheduling and what kind of wait time to expect. She said if I were to schedule now they could see me in August. Since ds will be homeschooled next year I'm not worried about trying to cram it into the summer. Whereas, last year I hated that I got stuck doing his psych eval after the first day of brick & mortar school as it was the only appt. available. I hate working appts. around school. That's why it took me so long to get his eyes checked. The three day weekend holiday he had I used to take him to the dentist.

Yesterday dh made a joke about getting ds hearing aids in addition to his glasses, so I know he is aware that ds has issues with something as far as absorbing info.

• Canadian Mom of 2 likes this

#359 Canadian Mom of 2

Canadian Mom of 2

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5223 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:57 PM

:svengo: I hope everything works out as best as it can. He's lucky he has you to continue to support him even if other things don't pan out.

Thank you!

I did not schedule it as I know things are really icky with dh and I on that topic. But I did ask about scheduling and what kind of wait time to expect. She said if I were to schedule now they could see me in August. Since ds will be homeschooled next year I'm not worried about trying to cram it into the summer. Whereas, last year I hated that I got stuck doing his psych eval after the first day of brick & mortar school as it was the only appt. available. I hate working appts. around school. That's why it took me so long to get his eyes checked. The three day weekend holiday he had I used to take him to the dentist.

Yesterday dh made a joke about getting ds hearing aids in addition to his glasses, so I know he is aware that ds has issues with something as far as absorbing info.

From what you have posted, your husband seems to agree to things that you have someone's support on. Perhaps wait a bit and then speak to the pediatrician again? Don't forget, you don't know what will come out of the report from the school. If there is a problem, hopefully the teacher has noticed it enough to flag something on her report.

#360 OhElizabeth

OhElizabeth

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29078 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:50 PM

They might have another wait for the full APD eval. Remember, this is only a screening, and the screening is something they'll train all the students to do and is something any of the profs can supervise. At our univ *one* prof is supervising the APD evals, so the wait for those is 6 months. So even after that August appt, you still have ANOTHER wait.

#361 shawthorne44

shawthorne44

More Kilts!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3600 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:02 PM

This thread has made me wish that there was a hug button.   I want to show support without cluttering up the thread, but I don't want anyone to think I like the hardships they are going through.  

#362 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11009 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

They might have another wait for the full APD eval. Remember, this is only a screening, and the screening is something they'll train all the students to do and is something any of the profs can supervise. At our univ *one* prof is supervising the APD evals, so the wait for those is 6 months. So even after that August appt, you still have ANOTHER wait.

She made it sound like it was all one appt. but I guess that could be true. She lumped the testing and APD screening as one sum and then said if we need further testing they refer to the auditory clinic that I talked about in this thread. She actually called me back to make sure I knew about the auditory clinic and I said yes I did and I had spoken to the audiologist there before (for just a basic hearing test at the aud. clinic it's almost the same price as the hearing test + APD screen at the university speech & hearing clinic).

#363 OhElizabeth

OhElizabeth

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29078 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:49 PM

She made it sound like it was all one appt. but I guess that could be true. She lumped the testing and APD screening as one sum and then said if we need further testing they refer to the auditory clinic that I talked about in this thread. She actually called me back to make sure I knew about the auditory clinic and I said yes I did and I had spoken to the audiologist there before (for just a basic hearing test at the aud. clinic it's almost the same price as the hearing test + APD screen at the university speech & hearing clinic).

The test they usually use, at least around here, is the SCAN. It may have changed numbers, but when we had it it was the SCAN3. The SCAN has a screening tool on page 1, and they can run that in a reasonable amount of time (20 minutes, nothing terrible, I don't remember exactly). So when you say they're going to do an exam and screen, I assume they'll do a normal audiology eval and run the *screening* portion of the SCAN3. That's a normal thing to do and they can do that in say 1 1/2 hours pretty easily. 

Then, if the dc fails the screening portion, then they turn the page and do the full eval. That's lots and lots of pages in the testing book, long, a big deal. Around here, that eval is like $1200 privately, where just having a basic eval and the screening is $380. Huge difference in amount of time spent on it.

So what I was assuming was that at the first appt they're going to do a basic eval for hearing and then run the screening portion of the SCAN. THEN, if he flags as needing the full test, then they'll refer or schedule off for that long eval where they run the full SCAN test. 

So then I'm confused. Does this university audiology clinic have the full booth set-up to run the SCAN? Some places will run it without a full booth, so it's something to ask. It's a really big deal, really specialized, and not every place has it. Are they saying they would run the screening tool but they don't actually do the full eval? So then he'd need to refer off to another place for the full eval? And how much does that place cost if he needs the full eval?

Edited by OhElizabeth, 21 June 2017 - 08:50 PM.

#364 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11009 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:42 PM

I don't know all the terminology but my understanding is the university speech & hearing clinic checks hearing and does an APD screening in one visit. Then if he fails it, they refer me to the Auditory Processing Clinic where they run a full length assessment. I have all the prices for the AP Clinic in an old email from months ago where I corresponded with the audiologist. For the in-depth assessment you get immediate feedback, but the report will be done a month later, several pages long.

I don't know if the university calls it a SCAN or SCAN3 or what equipment they have. This is all new territory for me, but the fact that they routinely refer patients to the AP Clinic after results come in and know the audiologist I spoke with, I feel confident that they can give me the basic info I need and I can investigate more from there if I choose to.

Edited by heartlikealion, 21 June 2017 - 09:43 PM.

• OhElizabeth and Canadian Mom of 2 like this