What's with the ads?

Photo

Son had evaluation this week but minimal feedback (small update)

391 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#351 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11950 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

Dh and I are trying to compile all our out of pocket expenses for the past year. Apparently we got enrolled in something without our full knowledge that withheld a certain sum of money for medical. Whatever we spent out of pocket on medical we can submit for a refund up to that amount. So if we do it right the eval and some other expenses should be reimbursed. If we didn't already exceed the total when we're done adding it up then the glasses I got the kids this month should be covered.

texasmama, the proactive stuff with the school sounds good. Glad that you offer input to your son when he is receptive. Same for Canadian Mom. FWIW, I always seem to run out of time on tests. Even if I know I have to pace myself, I just can't answer stuff as fast as necessary. I am not proud of my ACT score but it didn't hold me back, either.

Well, we just got our phone call! On the plus side, we have specific dates now, but on the down side it's just an autism evaluation. I should have known that government funded would not get us more than that! There's no ID, therefore they will not do an educational eval. Looks like educational evaluations will have to wait for the future and will be out of pocket :(

Forgive my ignorance, what does the educational evaluation entail or what are you hoping to learn from it? I am sorry they aren't offering you everything you were hoping for. I do hope you can find a reasonable price for one. Paying out of pocket is no fun.

• Moved On and OneStepAtATime like this

#352 Moved On

Moved On

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5446 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:08 AM

deleted for privacy 

Edited by Moved On, 10 August 2017 - 10:44 PM.

#353 Moved On

Moved On

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5446 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:06 AM

deleted for privacy 

Edited by Moved On, 10 August 2017 - 10:44 PM.

#354 OhElizabeth

OhElizabeth

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30103 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:12 AM

I have called a few places to find an audiologist for it. Today was the best lead I got so far. A university hearing and speech clinic said they do a hearing test and APD screening (combined total of just under $150). They don't take insurance so it's irrelevant that my insurance company will not cover it. I don't know if you saw the post (this thread is really long now and I haven't had a chance to reply back to everything, actually) but his ins. does not cover stuff with ears unless it's like the child had an accident that required surgery on the ear or something like that.

I have not told dh about the university phone call yet. Not in a rush to tell him. Just happy I found out.

That's exciting! Did you go ahead and get on the wait list or get it scheduled? Better to be on the list and cancel if for some reason your dh disagrees. That's a really good option. We got ours done through a university, and it was a very good experience. It's students supervised by a professor (at least at ours) and they really slow down and talk with you. It gives you time to ask questions and understand, and having a professor supervising (even if it's just in the adjacent room in earshot) is really superb. For one the professor spent the whole time (1 1/2 hours) with us and for the other she came over when she heard us and remembered us. :)

Well, we just got our phone call! On the plus side, we have specific dates now, but on the down side it's just an autism evaluation. I should have known that government funded would not get us more than that! There's no ID, therefore they will not do an educational eval. Looks like educational evaluations will have to wait for the future and will be out of pocket :(

Will they do language testing, OT, etc.? So they'll do all that but not IQ? I don't know, that's quite the system. So you're saying in your country if kids have SLDs they don't have the legal right to evals?? Wow, never would have thought that. People can complain about quality and how it varies, but reality is in our country ANY dc with an SLD has the legal right to those evals through the ps. Might not be the best every time, but they have the right not only to the evals but then to dispute and request independent, 3rd party evals on the school's dime. So I'm sorry your system doesn't give you that access. :(

I guess take it as far as whatever they'll do. Seems like even an autism eval ought to be multi-factored and include SLP and OT.

#355 OhElizabeth

OhElizabeth

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30103 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:18 AM

The educational eval would give me specific details on strengths and weaknesses, show me if there is in fact a LD, and IQ. I'll probably just pursue the educational eval through the university for now and pay for a full eval when he is in high school. The university evaluation will be less than $1K, where as the full eval through psych or neuropsych, upwards of $2K and as high as $3.5K . One step at a time!

You might shop around or consider crossing the border. University *psych* evals seem to have almost all bad experiences around here on the boards. It's students, and it's way more complicated than a hearing test and a fully scripted SCAN3, kwim? To do audiology at a university, no biggee, they could hardly screw it up. But psych, they can totally screw that up. Even experienced psychs screw up complicated kids. If there's any time to get it right, it's now. By high school, you've already done the heavy lifting using the results.

#356 Moved On

Moved On

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5446 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

deleted for privacy 

Edited by Moved On, 10 August 2017 - 10:42 PM.

#357 Moved On

Moved On

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5446 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

deleted for privacy 

Edited by Moved On, 10 August 2017 - 10:42 PM.

#358 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11950 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:48 PM

Hope all works out and you get whatever you need, covered!

My son has not had standardized tests yet but when we do tests at home, if he is stressed about being timed, it can make him freeze up and slow him down. He is still learning to manage his anxiety. My husband and I have always tested well. I'm the one with the anxiety in the family but I learned early on to channel it to hyperfocusing when I need to and have very powerful problem solving abilities. He can do that also, I have seen that in him, but it is not consistent. It needs work. He also has some EF issues that I did not have that need work. If I have no other choice, I will just continue to help him and support him myself.

Thank you!

The educational eval would give me specific details on strengths and weaknesses, show me if there is in fact a LD, and IQ. I'll probably just pursue the educational eval through the university for now and pay for a full eval when he is in high school. The university evaluation will be less than $1K, where as the full eval through psych or neuropsych, upwards of $2K and as high as $3.5K . One step at a time!

Praying for strength for all of us :)

:svengo: I hope everything works out as best as it can. He's lucky he has you to continue to support him even if other things don't pan out.

That's exciting! Did you go ahead and get on the wait list or get it scheduled? Better to be on the list and cancel if for some reason your dh disagrees. That's a really good option. We got ours done through a university, and it was a very good experience. It's students supervised by a professor (at least at ours) and they really slow down and talk with you. It gives you time to ask questions and understand, and having a professor supervising (even if it's just in the adjacent room in earshot) is really superb. For one the professor spent the whole time (1 1/2 hours) with us and for the other she came over when she heard us and remembered us. :)

Will they do language testing, OT, etc.? So they'll do all that but not IQ? I don't know, that's quite the system. So you're saying in your country if kids have SLDs they don't have the legal right to evals?? Wow, never would have thought that. People can complain about quality and how it varies, but reality is in our country ANY dc with an SLD has the legal right to those evals through the ps. Might not be the best every time, but they have the right not only to the evals but then to dispute and request independent, 3rd party evals on the school's dime. So I'm sorry your system doesn't give you that access. :(

I guess take it as far as whatever they'll do. Seems like even an autism eval ought to be multi-factored and include SLP and OT.

I did not schedule it as I know things are really icky with dh and I on that topic. But I did ask about scheduling and what kind of wait time to expect. She said if I were to schedule now they could see me in August. Since ds will be homeschooled next year I'm not worried about trying to cram it into the summer. Whereas, last year I hated that I got stuck doing his psych eval after the first day of brick & mortar school as it was the only appt. available. I hate working appts. around school. That's why it took me so long to get his eyes checked. The three day weekend holiday he had I used to take him to the dentist.

Yesterday dh made a joke about getting ds hearing aids in addition to his glasses, so I know he is aware that ds has issues with something as far as absorbing info.

• Moved On likes this

#359 Moved On

Moved On

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5446 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:57 PM

:svengo: I hope everything works out as best as it can. He's lucky he has you to continue to support him even if other things don't pan out.

Thank you!

I did not schedule it as I know things are really icky with dh and I on that topic. But I did ask about scheduling and what kind of wait time to expect. She said if I were to schedule now they could see me in August. Since ds will be homeschooled next year I'm not worried about trying to cram it into the summer. Whereas, last year I hated that I got stuck doing his psych eval after the first day of brick & mortar school as it was the only appt. available. I hate working appts. around school. That's why it took me so long to get his eyes checked. The three day weekend holiday he had I used to take him to the dentist.

Yesterday dh made a joke about getting ds hearing aids in addition to his glasses, so I know he is aware that ds has issues with something as far as absorbing info.

From what you have posted, your husband seems to agree to things that you have someone's support on. Perhaps wait a bit and then speak to the pediatrician again? Don't forget, you don't know what will come out of the report from the school. If there is a problem, hopefully the teacher has noticed it enough to flag something on her report.

#360 OhElizabeth

OhElizabeth

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30103 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:50 PM

They might have another wait for the full APD eval. Remember, this is only a screening, and the screening is something they'll train all the students to do and is something any of the profs can supervise. At our univ *one* prof is supervising the APD evals, so the wait for those is 6 months. So even after that August appt, you still have ANOTHER wait.

#361 shawthorne44

shawthorne44

More Kilts!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3772 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:02 PM

This thread has made me wish that there was a hug button.   I want to show support without cluttering up the thread, but I don't want anyone to think I like the hardships they are going through.  

#362 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11950 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

They might have another wait for the full APD eval. Remember, this is only a screening, and the screening is something they'll train all the students to do and is something any of the profs can supervise. At our univ *one* prof is supervising the APD evals, so the wait for those is 6 months. So even after that August appt, you still have ANOTHER wait.

She made it sound like it was all one appt. but I guess that could be true. She lumped the testing and APD screening as one sum and then said if we need further testing they refer to the auditory clinic that I talked about in this thread. She actually called me back to make sure I knew about the auditory clinic and I said yes I did and I had spoken to the audiologist there before (for just a basic hearing test at the aud. clinic it's almost the same price as the hearing test + APD screen at the university speech & hearing clinic).

#363 OhElizabeth

OhElizabeth

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30103 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:49 PM

I have called a few places to find an audiologist for it. Today was the best lead I got so far. A university hearing and speech clinic said they do a hearing test and APD screening (combined total of just under $150). They don't take insurance so it's irrelevant that my insurance company will not cover it. I don't know if you saw the post (this thread is really long now and I haven't had a chance to reply back to everything, actually) but his ins. does not cover stuff with ears unless it's like the child had an accident that required surgery on the ear or something like that.

I have not told dh about the university phone call yet. Not in a rush to tell him. Just happy I found out.

She made it sound like it was all one appt. but I guess that could be true. She lumped the testing and APD screening as one sum and then said if we need further testing they refer to the auditory clinic that I talked about in this thread. She actually called me back to make sure I knew about the auditory clinic and I said yes I did and I had spoken to the audiologist there before (for just a basic hearing test at the aud. clinic it's almost the same price as the hearing test + APD screen at the university speech & hearing clinic).

The test they usually use, at least around here, is the SCAN. It may have changed numbers, but when we had it it was the SCAN3. The SCAN has a screening tool on page 1, and they can run that in a reasonable amount of time (20 minutes, nothing terrible, I don't remember exactly). So when you say they're going to do an exam and screen, I assume they'll do a normal audiology eval and run the *screening* portion of the SCAN3. That's a normal thing to do and they can do that in say 1 1/2 hours pretty easily. 

Then, if the dc fails the screening portion, then they turn the page and do the full eval. That's lots and lots of pages in the testing book, long, a big deal. Around here, that eval is like $1200 privately, where just having a basic eval and the screening is $380. Huge difference in amount of time spent on it.

So what I was assuming was that at the first appt they're going to do a basic eval for hearing and then run the screening portion of the SCAN. THEN, if he flags as needing the full test, then they'll refer or schedule off for that long eval where they run the full SCAN test. 

So then I'm confused. Does this university audiology clinic have the full booth set-up to run the SCAN? Some places will run it without a full booth, so it's something to ask. It's a really big deal, really specialized, and not every place has it. Are they saying they would run the screening tool but they don't actually do the full eval? So then he'd need to refer off to another place for the full eval? And how much does that place cost if he needs the full eval?

Edited by OhElizabeth, 21 June 2017 - 08:50 PM.

#364 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11950 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:42 PM

I don't know all the terminology but my understanding is the university speech & hearing clinic checks hearing and does an APD screening in one visit. Then if he fails it, they refer me to the Auditory Processing Clinic where they run a full length assessment. I have all the prices for the AP Clinic in an old email from months ago where I corresponded with the audiologist. For the in-depth assessment you get immediate feedback, but the report will be done a month later, several pages long.

I don't know if the university calls it a SCAN or SCAN3 or what equipment they have. This is all new territory for me, but the fact that they routinely refer patients to the AP Clinic after results come in and know the audiologist I spoke with, I feel confident that they can give me the basic info I need and I can investigate more from there if I choose to.

Edited by heartlikealion, 21 June 2017 - 09:43 PM.

• OhElizabeth and Moved On like this

#365 Moved On

Moved On

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5446 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:53 AM

Deleted for privacy.

Edited by Canadian Mom of 2, 27 June 2017 - 10:33 PM.

#366 Moved On

Moved On

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5446 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:01 PM

Deleted for privacy.

Edited by Canadian Mom of 2, 27 June 2017 - 10:33 PM.

#367 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11950 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:36 PM

My computer keeps crashing and I don't know my WTM password on my other devices LOL. I might have to reset it again. Just saw your post in my email, though. I won't say much for privacy but am happy to hear that things worked out for your family the other day.

I don't know what it's called but I guess it's like a flexible savings plan or something where some money was taken out of each of dh's checks pre-tax and that money was meant to be used toward medical that we had to pay OOP. The eval. didn't qualify because of the date, but that's okay because I think we had enough other bills to get our full money back. I should have this all sorted very soon. I still need to go to the pharmacy and get receipts and double check one other thing.

The other day dh turned to me and said that he does think there's something wrong with ds' hearing. I then told him about the university clinic and how we can get the hearing and APD screening done there. He agreed to it, but wants to wait til the next flexible plan thing starts over which won't be too long. We decided it's worth doing the plan again. I honestly don't know if the kids will be doing vision therapy soon or not, but either way we could use the plan toward other things this year (dh needs some dental work done). Ideally I want to have ds do the hearing thing and then schedule the follow up with the psychologist after I get the results of the APD screening. I did call the office a week ago to see if they ever received teacher forms and they said no. I will have to touch base with the school again.

• Moved On, Lecka and OneStepAtATime like this

#368 Moved On

Moved On

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5446 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:19 AM

deleted for privacy

Edited by Moved On, 10 August 2017 - 10:40 PM.

• heartlikealion likes this

#369 Moved On

Moved On

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5446 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:10 PM

It appears, our local government offers a lot more in terms of funding for kids with autism, through the special education system, than I anticipated! For those that enroll as homeschoolers, that is :)

Hope all is going well for you too, Heartlikealion!

OK, off to read...

Edited by Canadian Mom of 2, 05 July 2017 - 09:12 PM.

#370 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11950 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:19 PM

It appears, our local government offers a lot more in terms of funding for kids with autism through the special education system, than I anticipated! For those that enroll as homeschoolers, that is :)

Hope all is going well for you too, Heartlikealion!

OK, off to read...

That's wonderful!

Tomorrow I plan to call to schedule the hearing appt. We need to delay it til Sept. for financial reasons but I think it'll work out ok. We got most of our money back from the spending plan and I found a couple more receipts so we can get the max. back. Ds was sick so the allergy test was delayed. He keeps doing that thing where he messes up left/right directions. I took him to the Apple store the other day for a coding class and they asked the kids to follow steps like, "lift right hand, rub belly with left hand" with an employee demonstrating across from him and he was all mixed up. I asked him what part of that messes him up... the "left" "right" commands or seeing someone do the mirror opposite. He said it's the speed (maybe this is a sign of a processing issue). I feel embarrassed for him because people joke, "your other 'right'."

• Moved On likes this

#371 Moved On

Moved On

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5446 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:52 PM

That's wonderful!

Thank you!

Tomorrow I plan to call to schedule the hearing appt. We need to delay it til Sept. for financial reasons but I think it'll work out ok. We got most of our money back from the spending plan and I found a couple more receipts so we can get the max. back.

It's really good to hear! I hope you can work out all the evaluations soon so you can see how to proceed. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Ds was sick so the allergy test was delayed. He keeps doing that thing where he messes up left/right directions. I took him to the Apple store the other day for a coding class and they asked the kids to follow steps like, "lift right hand, rub belly with left hand" with an employee demonstrating across from him and he was all mixed up. I asked him what part of that messes him up... the "left" "right" commands or seeing someone do the mirror opposite. He said it's the speed (maybe this is a sign of a processing issue). I feel embarrassed for him because people joke, "your other 'right'."

:( I'm so sorry! Not very helpful for his self-confidence. Have you tried this simple tip? If he is right handed, tell him the right is the hand he writes with. If he can remember that the hand that "writes is right" it might help him distinguish between the two a bit faster. It might help until you sort out diagnoses, and hopefully, interventions.

:grouphug:

#372 Arcadia

Arcadia

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15977 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:07 AM

I took him to the Apple store the other day for a coding class and they asked the kids to follow steps like, "lift right hand, rub belly with left hand" with an employee demonstrating across from him and he was all mixed up. I asked him what part of that messes him up... the "left" "right" commands or seeing someone do the mirror opposite.

Practice helps.

Try Simon Says and you give instructions like those.

Line dancing as part of PE in preschool helped me and my kids. We had listen to instructions from the teacher and see her demo in mirror image. Try aerobics videos on YouTube and let your son practice mirror image. My kids did that to the Riverdance line dance sequence.

Try drumming/tapping too. E.g. Imitate a taiko drumming YouTube video. They tend to go in a slower alternating hands sequence but would be mirror image to the viewer.
  • Moved On and heartlikealion like this

#373 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11950 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:18 PM

If you just ask him which is left or right he knows, but I guess he needs a second to think or hear/process what the teacher said. As for shoes I think it's just not realizing which shoe is the left shoe/right shoe despite many explanations (he's much better but occasionally this still happens). Meanwhile he's looking at the mirror image and I guess it's too much for him in the few seconds they are expecting him to react. This is what I've observed in martial arts, though I barely got to observe him over the past few sessions. None of the parents go in the room and I'm in the lobby trying to keep dd out of trouble. Like she already crashed the gymnastics class in the next room :glare: :lol:

I can't schedule the hearing stuff yet because the woman won't be back in the office til next week, but that's okay. I'll just call back next week. I can try some Simon Says and stuff with ds. Dh witnessed ds say "what?" like three times in a row to me the other night (TV was on but last time he was looking right at me not the screen). He's definitely ok with the hearing eval thing at this point.

Used the reimbursement money to pay off all existing medical bills. But I know it won't be long before we have a new one. Trying to figure out ways to make a little cash. New children's consignment store is about to have grand opening and they are collecting items. I will see if I have any luck there with old kids' items.

Edited to add: ds will have a check up with his optometrist soon. I guess that will determine if he needs vision therapy? Not really sure. He doesn't need to wear the glasses for reading, though, so not sure that would really explain his poor score on the visual motor test he took at the eval with the development clinic.

One teacher filled out the form but the other teachers have not been on campus (which is exactly why I wanted the woman to distribute them when I initially dropped them off urgh). She said she will go ahead and send that one off for me. I said to save the other forms and if the teachers feel comfortable filling them out they could but I don't know if they spent enough time with him or not.

Edited by heartlikealion, 06 July 2017 - 04:26 PM.

#374 Arcadia

Arcadia

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15977 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:47 PM

Edited to add: ds will have a check up with his optometrist soon. I guess that will determine if he needs vision therapy? Not really sure. He doesn't need to wear the glasses for reading, though, so not sure that would really explain his poor score on the visual motor test he took at the eval with the development clinic.

Simon Says would be good for practicing hearing instructions and carrying them out.

Lego/IKEA instructions are good for practicing reading instructions and carrying them out. If he is strong in visual spatial, he would be faster with Lego instructions then with written instructions. My DS11's reading speed is slower than his brother but for visual instructions they are equally fast.

I need vision therapy because my left side and right side are uncoordinated which makes skipping a rope very difficult but I can sew or knit/crochet because one hand is stationary at one time. My vision issues are due to accommodation squint since newborn and gross motor skills delay attributed by doctors to prematurity (3 months early).

For visual motor skills practice, try games like these:
https://www.amazon.c...z/dp/B0031P91LK
This one might be too childish for him but is good practice for both your children https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/B0015KET88
  • Heathermomster and heartlikealion like this

#375 Moved On

Moved On

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5446 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:10 AM

Deleted for privacy.

Edited by Moved On, 06 September 2017 - 04:52 PM.

#376 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11950 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:34 PM

I kept missing the woman at the clinic, but I got ahold of her today. I scheduled ds' test/screening for Sept. and she said that if needs therapy he qualifies for it twice a week there for a few months included in the fee for the testing! What?! That's so neat. I don't want to have to drive that far twice a week but on co-op days I could just schedule it when we're out. They sound really flexible.

Since we'll be homeschooling I won't have to yank him out of class for anything.

• Moved On and Arcadia like this

#377 Moved On

Moved On

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5446 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:15 PM

I kept missing the woman at the clinic, but I got ahold of her today. I scheduled ds' test/screening for Sept. and she said that if needs therapy he qualifies for it twice a week there for a few months included in the fee for the testing! What?! That's so neat. I don't want to have to drive that far twice a week but on co-op days I could just schedule it when we're out. They sound really flexible.

Since we'll be homeschooling I won't have to yank him out of class for anything.

That's great news! Hope all works out  :)

#378 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11950 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:09 PM

I went to a homeschool sign up thing today where vendors were present. I didn't know I would see vendors for all kinds of learning struggles. They had someone there representing a whole array of things like sensory processing disorder. Another booth was specifically for auditory processing disorder. I spoke to people at both booths. The APD audiologist said she didn't have much faith in the screening I have scheduled for ds but admitted she didn't know exactly what they did/what equipment they have. I said oh, I thought they refer patients to you? She actually seemed a bit confused... said well some of my patients do come from blah blah university but... (sounded like she was talking about a different university all together so I got confused. I double checked my email and I did say the correct university, but it was like she didn't know what I was talking about at first). I also talked to a speech therapist that was at the same booth with her. I found that very interesting because dd was checked at early intervention for speech issues and I said, "let me ask you something... do you usually look in the child's mouth?" and she said yes. I said they didn't even look in dd's mouth and she has had two frenectomies. She said, "I was just about to ask you about that."

And the guy that works at the place where they deal with sensory processing said the person he works with that deals with that has a certificate whereas a lot of people that say they work with kids with sensory issues don't actually have a certificate in it. So that was good to know.

Not much to update I guess, just found this all fascinating. Good to have touched base with some people in the know. I may be able to ask the university specifically what test or equipment they use. Hm.

#379 OhElizabeth

OhElizabeth

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30103 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:18 PM

Yeah, vendors like that are a crap shoot. They're there to make money. The university, on the other hand, is trying to do a good job teaching students the right way to do things. The APD and audiology evals at our university are really good. The psych evals, well frankly the board feedback never seems any good. I think it's just too complicated a field to expect students to nail the most complex cases. But audiology seems to go ok.

So, you know, skepticism. It sounds like you met some good people and some questionable people. That's exciting that you have evals scheduled.

• heartlikealion and eternalsummer like this

#380 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11950 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:28 PM

Yeah, vendors like that are a crap shoot. They're there to make money. The university, on the other hand, is trying to do a good job teaching students the right way to do things. The APD and audiology evals at our university are really good. The psych evals, well frankly the board feedback never seems any good. I think it's just too complicated a field to expect students to nail the most complex cases. But audiology seems to go ok.

So, you know, skepticism. It sounds like you met some good people and some questionable people. That's exciting that you have evals scheduled.

Yeah, definitely skeptical. Dh says of course she wants you to go to her place for the eval LOL

eta: I was so bummed out I did not get to test the APD equipment. They had something on display at the booth, but it was being used and then closing time so I ran out of time to check it out. It looked like a tablet with headphones and you had to select answers on the screen I think.

Edited by heartlikealion, 29 July 2017 - 09:29 PM.

• OhElizabeth likes this

#381 OhElizabeth

OhElizabeth

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30103 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:54 PM

Testing like that needs to be done in a soundproof booth. 

#382 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11950 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:26 PM

I'm in a rush but just wanted to say they only did the hearing test today. Not a soundproof booth but a room and he wore headphones. He passed. They said the sessions are too short for both tests so I will need 1-2 more visits (included in same cost). I asked the name of the test. It is The Auditory Processing Test? I looked at the paper and it said TAPS-3 so that is the version.

I was so upset I couldn't pay with my new flexible spending card. They don't take any cards. Just check or cash. Said I can pay next visit. So I went to Target later to attempt cash back with my cc and it did not allow me. Guess I will have to try Walmart or Sam's. Yes, I said cc not debit. I do it all the time at WM.

#383 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11950 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:07 AM

after reading through an email from the more expensive clinic I suspect the test they offer is the SCAN-3 (I don't know if she gave me the official name but she said something about a 3 and what it included). Their tests includes things like hearing with background noise. The TAPS-3 is all done orally by the person in the room with him (as opposed to him clicking or selecting choices). The person administering it will do stuff like read lists to the child and ask them if they have heard that word before (from the words already read). Won't repeat words. Asks the child what the word was. At least part of the test is like that. They told me all this in front of ds which surprised me, but he'll probably forget what we discussed. They have a one way mirror so I'll try to observe, but I'll have the toddler with me so not sure if I can. They want me to come back this week a day that dh has a conflict with the car, so I may have to reschedule for another week. They can only see us certain days of the week.

Edited by heartlikealion, 06 September 2017 - 09:09 AM.

#384 OhElizabeth

OhElizabeth

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30103 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:27 AM

Yes, if you can go to the clinic with the SCAN3, that is what you want. The TAPS-3 was done on my ds by an SLP and other things can affect those scores. It's fine as a screening tool for auditory processing problems, but I'm not sure you can diagnose them or what you can conclude with it. Google and see. I have the score sheet (copy) from my ds, and half of it was stuff a dyslexic would fail. 

#385 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11950 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

Still not sure if it's the SCAN3 or not, but she outlined what it covered and the cost. And then she described the full eval. I just can't afford to go there so I'm starting with the speech and language clinic at the university.

#386 OhElizabeth

OhElizabeth

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30103 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:18 AM

Ahh, that explains why they're running the TAPS. So are they going to run the CELF or CASL or any other language testing? There are several different tests of narrative and tests of written language. (OWL, TONL, etc.) 

Can you find a university audiology dept that does the SCAN3? At our univ it's literally $35.

#387 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11950 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:47 AM

Ahh, that explains why they're running the TAPS. So are they going to run the CELF or CASL or any other language testing? There are several different tests of narrative and tests of written language. (OWL, TONL, etc.) 

Can you find a university audiology dept that does the SCAN3? At our univ it's literally $35.

They just use the TAPS as far as I know. And then based on those results he'll get therapy sessions for so many weeks (twice a week). But I cannot for the life of me figure out what they will do in therapy. I think of it as more of a speech place, but maybe they help him practice things that involve listening. I have no clue. I don't think I can realistically even take him twice a week. That's a lot of driving and gas/disruptive to routine.

I searched but couldn't find any other universities offering such a thing. If I understood the email correctly, the APD clinic requires a hearing test within a month of other testing so I could potentially have to pay for one again if I went there down the line. The cost of hearing test varied depending on what else you were doing I guess because there were two different quotes. Dh was mad I even stuck around after I found out that I had to pay cash or check. Yeah, like I'm gonna walk out after all this. I will get reimbursed but I just didn't want to do it this way.

#388 OhElizabeth

OhElizabeth

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30103 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:49 AM

Will your insurance cover the therapy? If it will, this could turn out to be good. Yes, SLPs cover lots with language too, not just articulation. 

#389 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11950 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:12 PM

No. They do not accept insurance at all at the university. And stuff with ears is not covered for ds in general. Say he had an accident and had to get his ear repaired... something like that, I think yes. But otherwise, no. We put so much a year into this flex spending plan so I don't mind using some toward the auditory stuff, but our plan just started over and I'm sure dh doesn't want me racking up bills left and right.

#390 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11950 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

The therapy sessions are included in the cost of the testing, but my concern is the gas money getting to and from all the sessions and wear and tear on our car.

#391 kbutton

kbutton

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5325 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:58 PM

My son has had both TAPS and SCAN-3. They are different, but overlapping in some areas.

Our SLP has worked on some auditory processing tasks, and I have been impressed at the ways she has been approaching it. And no, I am not sure I could describe it all, lol! 

Hopefully you will get an SLP that is intuitive about these issues, and it will be fruitful for you!

#392 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11950 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:45 PM

They are very nice at the clinic. I asked if they offered or knew who offered the SCAN3 and she said she would see what tests they have. She knows I may need to see an audiologist for certain tests. They told me if I had to go to an audiologist for further testing and more than a month had lapsed since his hearing test they would do it again for free (because the APD clinic needs a current hearing test). I was blown away. The sessions are not that long and ds is not done with the TAPS. They did noticed memory issues thus far. So, if we return for follow up sessions after the tests is done they will work with him on techniques for memory/recalling. I think it's definitely worth pursuing. I think explaining that to dh helped him see the benefit in this. I admitted that with the distance/gas I might not be able to manage twice a week, but I'd try to do once a week if sessions are called for.

Today was a complete disaster with money but I think it will all work out. Apparently I couldn't withdraw enough cash in a 24 period because of a cap with my cc. I tried using an ATM as the credit card company suggested since I'd already exceeded my cash back options. The ATM rejected me. So I wrote a check for the small remaining amount. My receipt didn't state the clinic's name or give much info. The place that does reimbursement needs a note from my ins. stating they don't cover that stuff and a new receipt with more details from the clinic. I am hoping I can get it all squared away by next week because I never wanted to pay this way.