Menu

Has anyone used So Verbose English program?

wenti

• 5 months later...

I heard back from Cati, the owner of So Verbose.  She indicated that this was the first year they offered a full English curriculum. As a result of feedback, they are revamping the literature portion of the curriculum.  Apparently, students found the amount of work and time frame for completion quite daunting.  This was one of my concerns after looking at their year outline.  It sounds like she and the other teachers are willing to work with students should they become overwhelmed. 

I have a rising 9th grader who is not looking forward to high school English. I need a curriculum that will ease her into high school writing and literature, but still fully prepare her for college.  This program may fit the bill for us.  Right now, we're considering FLVS or So Verbose. 

I'm hopefully others will jump in on this thread.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We just started our first course. My daughter just received her first graded essay in Essay II.  She received one mechanics correction and general great job kind of comments. I was told there would be specific feedback and comments about areas to improve. I expected more, but for the price maybe I shouldn't have. It is very inexpensive. We needed the assignments and deadlines for this time of year for both of us and we are getting that... 

• 2 months later...

We just started our first course. My daughter just received her first graded essay in Essay II.  She received one mechanics correction and general great job kind of comments. I was told there would be specific feedback and comments about areas to improve. I expected more, but for the price maybe I shouldn't have. It is very inexpensive. We needed the assignments and deadlines for this time of year for both of us and we are getting that... 

Who was your instructor?  We decided to take the plunge and try it for Essay 1 starting next week.

• 5 months later...

It's a basic lesson with examples. Feedback is a very detailed rubric point system and then comments about what was good and what needs improvement. For my writing hater it's perfect. Simple and feedback helps them make improvements one area at a time. My ds has done essay 1 and 2 and has made huge strides in his writing abilities. My dd is a strong writer and did essay 1 this fall. She received much less feedback, but still learned some basics.

I think this is a great price for basic writing instructions and feedback. It would be best for students who haven't had a solid background or who hate writing and need gentle steps. For me not being the one who grades, it was worth the money. My ds has improved greatly with So Verbose.