Menu

BJU Fundamentals vs PreAlgebra

Has anyone used both for comparison?  Recently used one or the other?

I had high hopes to start Algebra this year for 8th but I don't think we've reached the goal.  We've just finished up all of the Key To Fractions books and he retained very well but still no decimals (although he has some skills - like where to put them when adding/subtracting/division and most multiplication) and no work on percents, negative numbers (other than his experience working through Hands On Equations last summer).

Trying to decide between BJU Fundamentals or PreAlgebra to have him ready for Algebra next year -- unless he just takes off sometime during the year and needs Algebra. he's a RB/VSL learner so needs a lot of variety and time to master.  He gets lost with too much text or story lines (his imagination gets the best of him).  He gets bogged down if there are too many problems.  I've got MUS on the shelf but he doesn't enjoy that style of learning and shuts down quickly.  I'm familiar with BJU but haven't used the middle grade levels. I enjoy the teaching part but trying to figure out which one would shore up and cement the foundation before Algebra and challenge his critical thinking skills.  He loves HOA and did really well but doesn't have a strong enough hold on the basics - just yet to move into Algebra.

• 9 months later...

Not sure if this helps, but negative integers, fractions, percentages, and graphing are all covered in 6th grade for BJU. Take a look at the scope and sequence. It might give you a better idea of where to place him. I'm pretty sure they offer placement tests too. Www.bjupress.com/pdfs/catalogs/2017-scope-and-sequence-subject.pdf