Menu

Question about graphic novels

While requesting library books for our school year, I accidentally checked out A Wrinkle in Time Graphic Novel instead of the regular book. After flipping through it, I'm wondering if I may keep this copy for my 12 year old daughter to read. Her favorite books have always been graphic novels. The only books that she checks out for herself are graphic novels, how to draw books, and regular chapter books based off of different anime. She eventually wants to be an animator.

So is this ok? Does it have any educational benefit to use graphic novels for more classic literature? She is dyslexic, so I think that is one reason she prefers this style. I think since the words are more spread out, they don't jumble on the page as easily. She may never read the more difficult novels on her own without me reading them to her or through audio books. Unfortunately, she's a very visual learner. She doesn't always follow audio books well, although she does better when I read to her. Any thoughts?

I don't see the problem with it.  15 years ago I would have been horrified, lol, but after watching my oldest go through a love of anime which then led to a love of graphic design and computer animation, and a 6yo who is using Pokemon and Diary of A Wimpy Kid books to springboard his own writing and drawing (two areas he has moved very slowly in)........I'm embracing the graphic novel.  Especially when it comes to hard to read texts, like Shakespeare (which should be seen, not read, imo).  The more tools the child has for grasping it, the better off they are.  It also makes the original more palatable when they get to it because they know the basics of the story and don't have to work too hard to understand each sentence.

• Like 1

For most kids... the actual book for Wrinkle in Time is so short by today's standards - I think it would nice to read the original. But, honestly, for a dyslexic, doesn't like to read kid? I'd do it. And if she likes it, then it can serve (maybe) as an introduction for doing the "real" book later. And if she doesn't then she got exposure to the story and that's great. Also, the art in the gn is really nice. I did think they did a pretty good job.

• Like 1

My kids read some graphics novels of classics before reading the original. It did not hurt their appreciation of the originals and did not impact their language arts scores. Whatever works for your child :)

My kids enjoyed graphic novels on

Greek myths

Sherlock Holmes

Shakespeare

Tin Tin

Canterbury Tales

and others that I can't remember

We also read graphic novels of science non-fiction like Max Axiom Science series, Cartoon guide to (various subjects).

I would borrow the Max Axiom books for her to see if she enjoys them.

http://capstonekids.com/characters/Max-Axiom/index.html

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

Agree, if this keeps her reading and being exposed to more ideas and vocabulary and stories, then yes go ahead.

FWIW, DD (dyslexic) went through a period of reading graphic novels and thoroughly enjoyed them.  It gave her access to stories in her down time that didn't require all of her energy and brain power to decode (which meant she could actually enjoy the reading instead of just working hard to get to the end with little absorption of the actual meaning of the words she was decoding).

• Like 2

Graphic novels are an excellent way to get the big picture of a story for a kid who gets bogged down by details or discouraged by long books. It makes it easier to read the real book later.

Beowulf was our greatest success... Even the compulsive voracious reader couldn't be forced to read it, until she knew the overview of the story.

• Like 2

Does she listen to audiobooks? That's how my dyslexic son consumes the majority of his literature.

She listens to them, but not regularly. She's such a visual learner that audio books aren't always super helpful. I've thought about having her listen to the audio book while following along in the actual book. We'll see.

She listens to them, but not regularly. She's such a visual learner that audio books aren't always super helpful.

BBC productions of Shakespeare's plays, Jane Austen's novels, Emily Brontë's novels has all been helpful at enriching literature for my boys. We watch on YouTube and our library has some of the DVD s.

I can't speak yet as to whether they can be a springboard to the traditional books because that hasn't worked here yet, but the only books my dyslexic 11 year old will read by choice are graphic novels. He's read a lot of books that were originally graphic novels, plus a lot of adaptations of classics, including things like a variety of Poe's stories, The Three Musketeers, and quite a few others. For a dyslexic who's a reluctant reader and a visual learner, I don't see any reason not to use a graphic novel as a starting point, at the very least. If you can then get her to read (or maybe read while listening to) the original, great. If not, well, at least she got an overview of the story and didn't hate reading it.

• Like 1

It even goes beyond Literature. I remember having a graphic book on "Das Kapital".

I wish I knew where to specifically find what graphic novels are out there. I've stumbled across them here and there, but haven't actually looked for them.