Menu

Maureen Dowd's column -- 1/2 of it in Latin

Hmm, her third paragraph had me thinking she was going to advise her audience to flee from Obama, “Avoid whatever is approved of by the mob, and things that are the gift of chance. Whenever circumstance brings some welcome thing your way, stop in suspicion and alarm ...They are snares. ... we think these things are ours when in fact it is we who are caught. That track leads to precipices; life on that giddy level ends in a fall.†confused013.gif

:lol:

Many words are made up, though - English words Latinized.

And some English words just left alone. ("V." cracked me up, though -- "(because there’s no W. in Latin)." And "Tu betchus!" left me :lol:!

Yes, "loosely and creatively" was how she described the professor's process of "translation." I think it was more for entertainment value than intended to be seen as a scholarly effort. :001_smile:

Post in which I sigh, and roll my eyes, and point out all the flaws in Dowd's grammar, and opine that a REAL intellectual would have written that in Greek.

;-)

Hey, are you that lady in from my homeschool park day? I've already congratulated you a million times on studying Greek instead of Latin...sheesh, Lady.