Menu

You have to check this out - fun Math Book Club/Circle

Kathleen.

Learners in Bloom Blog

Lilac Mohr, author of Math and Magic in Wonderland, wrote an adventure of two little girls solving puzzles.  She has designed a math book club/circle to go along with her book.  Today is the beginning of the first week - it ends in October.  Her girls are seven, but the topics are appropriate for any age.  I plan to participate with my 10yo and 12yo.

I just wanted to share this awesome resource with everyone. :)

• Like 5

I never would have found this blog/book if it hadn't been for Denise's awesome blog Let's Play Math!!!  I always go there when I want to know what's happening in math.  I love your site, Denise!!!  :001_wub:   Thanks for bringing Lilac Mohr's book and blog to my attention.  And let's not forget Denise's awesome books!!

We heart math :)

• Like 2

I never would have found this blog/book if it hadn't been for Denise's awesome blog Let's Play Math!!!  I always go there when I want to know what's happening in math.  I love your site, Denise!!!  :001_wub:   Thanks for bringing Lilac Mohr's book and blog to my attention.  And let's not forget Denise's awesome books!!

We heart math :)

Aw, thank you! :blushing: 

• Like 2

So...how did your week go? We just got the book yesterday and finally got to read chapter one - we loved it! I really loved all the literary references and great vocabulary. The story is very enchanting. You follow Lulu and Elizabeth on their adventure as they solve math puzzles to unlock secrets. I really appreciate the two appendices in the back listing all the books referenced and I also liked the font size - no squinting necessary.

• Like 1

So...how did your week go? We just got the book yesterday and finally got to read chapter one - we loved it! I really loved all the literary references and great vocabulary. The story is very enchanting. You follow Lulu and Elizabeth on their adventure as they solve math puzzles to unlock secrets. I really appreciate the two appendices in the back listing all the books referenced and I also liked the font size - no squinting necessary.

I could have written this exact post ... except for the appendices.  I didn't know they were there.  Off to check now!

• Like 2

I could have written this exact post ... except for the appendices.  I didn't know they were there.  Off to check now!

I forgot to mention how awesome the Play Alongs are.  We're still trying to find the two palindromes spoken by Lulu and Elizabeth. This book is really great for any age because there is something for everyone.  I love it when you find a book like this that shows people how fun math can be. 

:)

• Like 1

OP - are you doing the activities (from the website) first - and then reading the chapter - and then doing the play alongs? In other words, what order would you tackle the three "components"?

Well, I wanted to read the chapter first and then do the play alongs and website activities throughout the week, but thanks to amazon we ended up reading the chapter last. Amazon took their good ol' time sending me the book. We did the activities from the website throughout the week which are similar to the play alongs.

I think any way you do it is good. I think I will most likely read the chapter first and then do all the rest during the week.

For those who don't have the book you could certainly follow along from the website. The author generously gives a lot of information. You can't help but love this book.

😊

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just ordered this for my daugther...will be arriving tomorrow and we'll start on week 1.

Do you read the chapter first and then do the activities?

Yay :)  You'll be so pleased with the book.  We absolutely love it.  When you read the book you start to realize the wealth of information on the pages that cover so many areas of study, so many opportunities for rabbit trails.  We still continue going back to things from previous chapters to play a certain game/puzzle again or read about something of interest.  I normally don't gush over things, but I think this book deserves our attention and I think it's great that the author, Lilac Mohr, published this book herself - another reason I want to support her endeavor.

Usually I look at the new post for the week on Monday and take a little peek at some of the videos and links without ruining the story to come. Then we read the chapter and do the activities and then go back to the web site and do more of what's on there.  This all happens over the course of a week - little by little.

Have fun with the book.  :001_smile:  

Here's week 7.

Will she be starting over again with a new group when this one is finished? I'm late to the game.

You're not late at all. Start from the beginning if that's where you are. Post a comment on the week you're at on the Learners in Bloom blog. This is the kind of book I will read with my kids again and follow the activities just because there is so much information to pick from and your kids will get more out of it each time. So start on page one and have fun.

☺

• 2 weeks later...

Week 11 I love this book.  This is a book you can go back to for many years.

Wah  :crying:  It's over......but wait - there's more!  Lilac Mohr is writing a sequel "Math and Magic in Camelot!"  Yay :hurray:  

Plus, there's a great supplement to "Math and Magic in Wonderland" titled "Math and Magic in Nature" for sale over at TeacherPayTeachers, and a game that's in the works called "Math, Magic and Monsters.  

So if you've been following along please go to Learners in Bloom and support this author and her amazing contributions.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...