Menu

Question about spare tire

MamaBearTeacher

Our van tire got a nail in it and had to be changed. We cold not get it done right away because we had to pick up our kids so we had them put the spare tire on in the meantime. DH said it took about 20 minutes for them to get it out of its compartment in the van and it looked like a very complicated process. Last night DH got the new tire put on. I went out this morning and found the spare tire in a plastic bag at the back of the van taking up most of the room that we would use for groceries or luggage if we were traveling. I told DH that it was there. He said that when you use your spare tire they do not put it back and they just leave it at the back of the van and now that's where we have to keep it and we just have to live with it that way. I do not understand this. It seems they should put it back. DH refuses to discuss this further. Is he right? Should I call them and ask them to put it back? They charged us quite a lot.

I think it should be put back in its place, and I think you guys can do it. :)

I think I remember reading on this forum about homeschoolers teaching their 2-year olds to change a tire. if that is the case, then DH and I can certainly put it back. He said though that it was put in a very complicated place under the van and it took the mechanics 20 minutes to get it out.

I would look it up in the vehicle manual.  I thought the whole point of a spare tire was that you could change it yourself in an emergency roadside situation.  Do they now make vehicles with inaccessible spares?  That would be pretty stupid.

• Like 1

Our van got a flat tire when we were on a road trip in the middle of nowhere with no phone reception.  The spare was mounted under the rear of the van and it took dh a long time and a lot of work to get it dismounted.  After he got the tire changed, we limped into town and found a place to repair the tire.  Dh and I are both sure the tire repair place put the spare back where it belonged; it's much easier to replace when the vehicle is up on the lift at the shop. 

Sounds to me like somebody forgot to ask for the spare to be replaced... and it's quite a pain to put it back yourself...

Perhaps call the shop to see if they will put the spare back in the holder?  Especially since you just had the work done, and maybe replacing the spare was just overlooked.  If they hem and haw, offer to pay? 

Our spare is in a horrible spot - right between the front seats under the van. The bolt is right in the floorboard between the seats. Pain to turn. We've been blessed with several flats this year  :closedeyes:. The repair guys never put  the spare back for us. It's always sitting in the back of the van. Pain in the neck to deal with but I've become proficient at taking it down and putting it back.

The spare on our van is under the rear too and a huge pain to get off.  And when I needed it and they finally got it off (dh & some other guys) it was shredded.  :ohmy:   And apparently around here no one has spares that fit.  So if I want to carry my spare around I have to carry it in the back of van.  

Well your dh is correct that they generally don't put it back, you could probably pay them to put it back. He is incorrect that you have to deal with it. It may be a pain but it is not actually difficult to get it back where it belongs. It just takes time.

If he won't do it then look in the manual and I'm sure you could get it done. Then poke fun at him about it. Well not really but I'd do that to my dh but we tease each other about stupid things often