Menu

Nervous about online classes. Need encouragement. JAWM

Ds13 is enrolled in online WHA FOEW writing and online Clover Creek science. Ds11 enrolled in TPS Narnia class and online Spanish. As the start date of Aug 22 is rolling near, I am becoming more and more nervous. Ds13 has taken writing and science outside of home and ds11 has done writing twice with a group. These are their first ever online classes. Please tell me I am not alone.

These are things I worry about

1. Internet speed and stability. Our Internet is not the greatest. Sometimes it is slow or unstable.

2. Dc will need to get used to this way of learning. Workload may be heavy for them.

3. Ds11 is a whiner. He did sign up willingly because he doesn't want to continue Henle Latin.

4. No more flexibility to adjust speed and take a break.

Need some encouragement, please. Thanks!

• Like 1

We have strong internet but it still goes out at times. There has always been a workaround: library internet, hotspot, catch up on recording later. It's never affected my dd's ability to learn and get the work done.

Our dd started with two live classes in 9th grade. I worried about her as well. She has never been a fast worker. Being on someone else's timeline was exactly what she needed. She learned to adjust to the teachers' pacing and workload and I think it's been excellent prep for college. She'll be dual enrolling for most of her upcoming senior year. I was not expecting her to rise to the challenge (bad, I know) but she did.

Dd complained in the beginning about being tied to other people's schedules. She got used to it. ;-)

Limited flexibility...our online classes (from different providers) never lined up with each other, co-op or our family schedule as far as holidays and breaks. Dd never felt like she had a complete reprieve from work. She still complains about that. Oh well. She does accept that the benefits of these classes outweighed the negatives.

Edited by samba
  • Like 2

I just want to encourage you, not freak you out. They'll do fine! I will be honored though, as I think it might help. For us there was a huge learning curve for the first month, so I think your smart to have a little trepidation. Each class had its own idiosyncrasies, and it took us a while to get into the groove. Once there it was great, but the first month... Ugh.

There were a couple of threads a while back on preparing for a first online class, and those were very helpful. If you can find them, those are good reads. Sit with your guys and read the syllabus. Re-read it. Read it again. (Really) Know when EVERYTHING is due. See if there is a printable calendar (Google calendar) for assignments. There were (for my kids) a lot of types of assignments to manage - discussion, quizzes, group projects, things to turn in, etc. with varying due dates to manage. We just set the family due date before the actual due date to help manage getting things done on time (especially weekend stuff - everything had to be turned in on line before COB FRIDAY). For my kids if felt like there were two assignments for everything due - the assignment, and then getting it turned on in the right format too the right file. Turn on things early, especially with flaky internet. We've had a few times they were right up against a due date, and I HATED that. :-) Make sure your kids know what formats are required to turn in their assignments and how to transfer files. This was a total pain when ds had to turn in a load of videos. Ugh. Again, learning curve.

For time off, we plan WAY ahead. Again, if there is anything in the syllabus about how to manage it, then follow that. We contact our instructors early, and try to pre-complete assignments. Sometimes we've had a crunch with work, but for us the flexibility is worth it. I ALWAYS have the kids watch the class recording ASAP when we get back (or on our trip as wifi permits).

So, my advice is that it will be fine. They'll adjust. For the first month expect things to take twice as long as you would, but it will get exponentially better. Fast!!

• Like 2

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

It CAN be intimidating.  :)  

Although you said JAWM, if you are interested in some of the things that helped here....

1.  Once the schedules (specific dates for everything) are available, maybe help your kids to lay all of that out on a calendar and set up reminders for when things are due.

2.  Also, look at all of the various components of your schedules and see if you can plan breaks that line up.  For instance, DD will be doing an on-line class that requires a lot of work outside of class but we have to be out of town for a week.  She and I looked over the schedule and figured out ahead of time what she could do in advance so that week we are gone she will not only not get behind, she can take a breather and have a couple of days off from academics.

3.  Look at back up options if internet goes out.  Is there a nearby library you could get to quickly?  

4.  With the first on-line classes it honestly was a total pain to have to adjust schedules since nothing lined up right but planning ahead, staying organized and helping the kids set up better practices for doing those things helped.  Now DD does much better.  She needed my scaffolding at first, though, or she would have drowned.

Hugs and good luck.

• Like 1

Don't worry about internet speed and stability. We had online teachers facing that problem since my kids started online classes in 2011. The phrase "Due to technical difficulties" brings laughter from my kids.

I would try to have a standby computer/laptop though just in case the wifi gets cranky right after a windows 10 update.

What we did was print the syllabus and schedule for each class once it is released and start planning. We also get the binders and any books that need to be purchased ready.

There will be first timers like your kids. It will be okay.

Adding...

Our first online experience was an asynchronous class and it was not a good experience. It was in 8th grade, so no huge consequence, but we found out that that set-up doesn't work well for dd. She needed and wanted the live interaction. Maybe that format would work better now that she's older. So, sometimes it's a matter of finding the right fit for you child's style rather than good class vs bad class.

• Like 2

Good advice above!

My kids' online classes were all asynchronous, which has pluses and minuses. Here's what I do:

I find the younger the child, the more parent-intensive the online class. This means when my kids were 11-ish, I had to heavily monitor due dates and assignments, and reinforce, remind and cajole. As they got older, they had more experience and organizational skills to figure things out themselves. Still, no matter how old they are, keep close track of their progress-- you may get to Christmas and then discover that your otherwise-very-organized DC is 6 weeks behind because she hit a hard spot and didn't ask for help!! BTDT, not fun!

I print out the syllabus and course assignments, one copy for me, one for DC. We have a weekly meeting on Sundays to go over all assignments for the week, assess DC's progress, figure out when during the week dc will do longer assignments and projects. I also make and print out a weekly, one-page chart of ALL their courses and assignments, with suggestions of what they should do each day. This goes on the fridge, one for each DC. Yes, this is totally anal. But it helps serve as a quick reference for all of us to help keep them on track.

I also get their passwords and log onto their accounts to shadow their progress. Each online provider has its own system, and I find it is sometimes overwhelming for a tween or teen to figure out each system. Last year we discovered that one DC had a bunch of incomplete assignments in an online class-- but she had no idea the instructor had given her an incomplete. I discovered it by clicking on a tiny, tiny icon of a piece of notebook paper that was next to some assigments listed  in her account. That icon opened into a note from the instructor asking her to redo the assignment to add more information. There was no email to me, or to DC alerting her to any of that, no red flags -- just that tiny, innocuous icon. So that taught me to check her account every week to make sure assignments were completed and graded. If there was a long delay on getting a grade for an assignment, I had her send a short, polite note to the instructor asking whether the instructor had seen the assignment. The instructor always responded positively, sometimes explaining that they were out of town.

This year, one of DD's online classes through PA Homeschoolers seems to be less asynchronous and much more involved, with weekly online class meetings. I think that will really help her stay on track. She had a bad experience with organizing her time last year, but she learned a lot of lessons since then, grew up a lot and is determined not to let that happen again. I am hopeful she learned important lessons on time management, but I will monitor her progress. Who knows what new life lessons she will learn this year?

Your kids will be fine, because you are prepared to help them!!

Maria

• Like 2

You guys an do this!

Teachers are sympathetic to internet problems; they have them too.

Here is a link to my list of tips: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/573993-online-providers-lessons-learned/?p=6681955

Dd did six online classes last year with multiple providers... It was a tough schedule but it worked out and was a great year for her. She learned how to be very organized!

• Like 3

It really will be fine! 

WHA and TPS classes are recorded and archived. So, if the connection drops, the student can always go back and listen to the archive. 

With my kids, I've found that outward/visible ambivalence about a class (or teacher) on my part affects their attitude toward the class. If I'm confident that they'll be able to handle the class or the work load, (or at least show confidence,) they take on that confidence. If it turns out that I over estimated their ability or the workload, we adjust. But at least we all start with the expectation that the class will be great and that they'll learn a lot and enjoy it.

If I express the tiniest hesitation or ambivalence, they are super quick to pick up on it and run with it.... unnecessary fear, whining, complaining.... "I don't understand this." "I can't do this." "There's too much work." etc etc.  We're all miserable.

Of course, they're going to be a little anxious starting something new. Be confident for them! Don't let them think you're afraid they won't be able to do it!  In a way, you lend them your own strength/confidence/stamina until the class starts, they get into a groove, and they know for themselves that they can do it.

On the one hand, you don't want to put the child in a class or situation that is truly beyond their abilities. On the other hand, though, you don't want to sell the child short by avoiding classes with high expectations or by getting caught up in the child's own anxiety.  You can always adjust down or drop the class if it turns out to be too much. But go in with the expectation and confidence that it is going to be a great experience. Or at least act like you think so! Be careful not to feed the child's own anxiety about doing something new.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 3

I feel like having a first born child in the way that once you have it, you have to watch it 24/7. It's the unknown that is intimidating. I am bracing myself for the confusion, the complaints, and so on. You can tell I am not a naturally positive person. I hope I can be more confident.

Thanks for the advice not to let the kids pick up the nervous moods.

I will pray a lot for peace, patience, wisdom, and calm.

Yes, we have 4 different providers. I hope things will work out well. Hey, I will say instead, I am sure things will work out well. :-)

• Like 1

You guys an do this!

Teachers are sympathetic to internet problems; they have them too.

Here is a link to my list of tips: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/573993-online-providers-lessons-learned/?p=6681955

Dd did six online classes last year with multiple providers... It was a tough schedule but it worked out and was a great year for her. She learned how to be very organized!

Thanks a lot. So much wisdom! I never knew that sending kids to online classes can be so hard for me. Maybe I feel I am losing my position of being the "boss". It will be lots of adjustments for both me and dc.
  • Like 3

Thanks a lot. So much wisdom! I never knew that sending kids to online classes can be so hard for me. Maybe I feel I am losing my position of being the "boss". It will be lots of adjustments for both me and dc.

:grouphug:

Well, you aren't maybe the boss of the content but you can still kind of be the boss of making sure this is a good fit and experience for you and the kids.  Think of it as a new adventure for all of you.  I agree with up thread, try not to let them see you stress out and if they are stressed, please do what you can to keep them calm and brainstorming ways to fix the issue, not place blame or wig out.  :)

Last year a couple of times, despite her best effort, DD got behind and locked up.  She didn't want to even try to fix the problem (perfectionism) because she knew it wasn't going to be her best effort.  I was wigging out a bit, too, but I realized she didn't yet have the emotional maturity to work this out on her own.  I took her out for breakfast to get a change of scenery and we looked at the schedule.  I pointed out that there were two things we were planning on doing on our own stuff that could be pushed off a bit, or even into the summer if necessary, to free some time.  I also pointed out that one of the things that was due would actually only take maybe 6-7 hours and we walked through where those hours could come from.  She felt relieved, finished the work that needed to be done, and got it all in.  She just needed a bit of perspective, a bit of brainstorming and someone to give her a hug.This year she is starting a couple of weeks in advance of class getting started on the reading (dyslexic so it takes more time) so she will have more time for the other assignments.

• Like 3

Oh if you only knew how frustrating our first experience was last fall!!!  Every week a computer died mid-class.  My dd had the most issues.  We often had 3 computers up trying to log in b/c anything that could go wrong, went wrong.  We ended up having to get her a lot of computer upgrades ;-)  My ds has a windows machine and it would update without asking mid-class often.  Again, running around trying to get him back into class on other computers.  It was crazy the entire first semester. 

Also, the class load for my dd was hard. She bombed the first test and while she improved every test, it wasn't until 2nd semester she got an A on a test.  Eye opener for her.  

We had a 'fluffy' class that had more homework than the important class.  You never know what will happen.  

I learned to roll with it.  I learned I needed to be up and present for online classes b/c something was always going wrong or happening that required me.  

And we ended up buying a new printer to scan b/c the old one had issues.  Learning curve for all of us was HUGE.  I would be scared to even try another school at this point LOL

As we go into this fall we expect some drama in the beginning.  I'm prepared mentally that someone may need a new computer.  I know not to schedule a lot during these classes now.    However, the experience has been great for my kids to do class for someone else and have to do a lot of work at once and the big reports....huge learning curve, but in a good way.  My dd learned how to email another adult without freaking out and being stupid in her communication.  Seriously, when I read some of her emails to her teacher I wanted to die a thousand deaths.  But it's all good, he helped her know what is important and to never freak out ;-)  

It will be fine.  Just be prepared for random issues and don't freak out yourself.   

• Like 1

I still feel like the boss because I chose the classes very carefully based on the curriculum used, content covered, and reviews of the teacher and instructor. But yes, my role is becoming more of a director/facilitator/tutor, which is actually fine with me! And dd likes having more independence and outside instructors/peers. It's really been a win for us in every way. She gets more accomplished than she would have with just me to interact with, and we still like each other. ;)

I really hope you have a fantastic year! :)

• Like 2

I still feel like the boss because I chose the classes very carefully based on the curriculum used, content covered, and reviews of the teacher and instructor. But yes, my role is becoming more of a director/facilitator/tutor, which is actually fine with me! And dd likes having more independence and outside instructors/peers. It's really been a win for us in every way. She gets more accomplished than she would have with just me to interact with, and we still like each other. ;)

I really hope you have a fantastic year! :)

Do you do outsourced Integrated Chinese? I taught Singapore Chinese 1A through 3A. We gave up at 3B when dc had too many characters they didn't master.

Ds13 is enrolled in online WHA FOEW writing and online Clover Creek science. Ds11 enrolled in TPS Narnia class and online Spanish. As the start date of Aug 22 is rolling near, I am becoming more and more nervous. Ds13 has taken writing and science outside of home and ds11 has done writing twice with a group. These are their first ever online classes. Please tell me I am not alone.

1. Internet speed and stability. Our Internet is not the greatest. Sometimes it is slow or unstable.

2. Dc will need to get used to this way of learning. Workload may be heavy for them.

3. Ds11 is a whiner. He did sign up willingly because he doesn't want to continue Henle Latin.

1. See if they have recorded sessions that you can listen to later when internet is back up or go to the library if it's going to be more than a few days.

2. If the workload is too heavy cut back a bit on the stuff you do at home until they either catch up or get into the "groove" of doing more work.  You be flexible when they can't be.

3. Be encouraging, smile, commiserate, and cheer him on, then tune him out.

4. yeah, that sucks it is the #1 reason we don't do online or co-op classes any longer. I'm sure you're made of sterner stuff than I am, especially since I'm a flake.  Make sure to make the most of the time you do have off from class, don't try to fit in any extra work, just veg (talking about Fall/Christmans/ Spring Breaks).

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 2

:grouphug:

Well, you aren't maybe the boss of the content but you can still kind of be the boss of making sure this is a good fit and experience for you and the kids. Think of it as a new adventure for all of you. I agree with up thread, try not to let them see you stress out and if they are stressed, please do what you can to keep them calm and brainstorming ways to fix the issue, not place blame or wig out. :)

Last year a couple of times, despite her best effort, DD got behind and locked up. She didn't want to even try to fix the problem (perfectionism) because she knew it wasn't going to be her best effort. I was wigging out a bit, too, but I realized she didn't yet have the emotional maturity to work this out on her own. I took her out for breakfast to get a change of scenery and we looked at the schedule. I pointed out that there were two things we were planning on doing on our own stuff that could be pushed off a bit, or even into the summer if necessary, to free some time. I also pointed out that one of the things that was due would actually only take maybe 6-7 hours and we walked through where those hours could come from. She felt relieved, finished the work that needed to be done, and got it all in. She just needed a bit of perspective, a bit of brainstorming and someone to give her a hug.This year she is starting a couple of weeks in advance of class getting started on the reading (dyslexic so it takes more time) so she will have more time for the other assignments.

Ds had a huge bump in February for his IEW class. I had to lower his other subject load and walked and talked with him with much patience and grace to get him to catch up. I communicated with his teacher and also encouraged him to call her and email her. We were very glad he completed the class and learned the lesson of perseverance. I guess it is a good prep for his much serious/formal online classes.
  • Like 1

Edited 3. He doesn't want to continue Henle Latin because it is "too hard" and it is a dead language (his own words). The fact: He is really good at it and consistently gets >90% for exercises, quizzes and tests while his older brother ds13 usually gets only 75%. We finished Unit 5. He wants Spanish because it is a living Language and many people speak it. According to his two friends, "Spanish is easy". I told him that the Spanish class they take at their schools may be easy, but do not expect the one he takes will be easy. I signed him up for Gamache Spanish yesterday. With several years of Latin and GSWS and some Duolingo, he should be able to handle this Spanish 1.

Thanks for listening to my ramble.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When do you try the online class connection? I tried to find the online class sites and don't know how. I emailed the providers and haven't got an answer.

How do you get on TPS Narnia class online part? And WHA FOEW? Gamache? I contacted all of them. I feel so clueless.

For Landry, they serve out an email a couple of weeks before classes start. Theirs includes connection tips, syllabus, etc. I'd check your junk email and make sure thre isn't an email in there.

• Like 1

Most online classes we've done have had an "orientation" type session online the week before class starts. They should email you/the student about when the session is and giving you a link or instructions to log in to the orientation session. 

During the session, the instructor will walk the student through the online class interface... how to text to all or just to the instructor, how/when to use the microphone, how to "raise his hand" during class, where to find the homework assignments if they're online, etc.

ETA: Just looked up WHA's calendar (on their home page, under "Admissions") The "Meet the Teacher" date for T/Th classes is Aug 30, for M/W classes is Aug 31.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 1

Echoing others - it is the week before class starts that you want to get the bugs out.

Gamache usually has a meet-the-parents night (or something). There is one specific link address you will use to get to the classroom. That'll be in a word document he'll send out via email or give out at the meet&greet.

Landry has started to send out their emails.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the help! Now I can concentrate on cleaning the house ready for a Chinese college student, my middle school classmate's son, to visit for a week starting this Saturday. Unfortunately it is the same week I am kids free since dc will go for Boy Scout Many Point camp. I will need to cook for this visitor and show him around.

Another thing is to make an American lit list for dc.

My daughter just read through the information for her first online class. We are both freaking out about it. I knew it would be a time commitment, but I was thinking 6-8 hours instead of 10. She was already feeling like this year was going to be a lot of work. I'm wondering if we've made a big mistake.

I almost signed ds13 for Lukein Latin. He does not want to have a third online class. He wants me to continue to be the teacher for Henle Latin 1 second half. I think it is a good decision we didn't sign up. The class might just take 6 hours or so even though they say 10 hours. It also depends if dd has done Latin prior to Lukeion.

• Like 1

Three of my kids did online classes, and they loved them!  They each did maybe two throughout their high school career, but they always looked forward to them.  It feels like a lot to learn at first -- (navigating the different sites, learning how to turn in assignments, understanding the schedules and structure, etc.), but it all comes together after a couple weeks.  

Our internet is the pits but it was never a problem.  In any case, the instructor is probably used to all kinds of internet speeds and problems and figures out ways around it all.

It'll be just fine!

• Like 1