Menu

if you heard a primal scream....(re: luggage size limits)

SparklyUnicorn

17 inch is the carry on limit for no extra charge.  We paid extra to do checked bags.  A lot extra.  If we want 22 inches (max) carry on that's a crap load more.  17 inches is the length of a (very) small backpack.

grrrrrr

Stupid us, we thought you know those carry on suit cases...the smaller ones...they keep getting smaller and smaller and we keep buying new ones...would work? oh no no....not even close...

• Like 1

Ya. We use luggage limits as a valid excuse not to be loaded with gifts coming back here from visiting parents and relatives :) My MIL would be trying to squeeze one more thing for us as gifts.

Oh yeah already got that covered.  My BIL said he bought one of our kids some super duper huge mega LEGO set.  He plans to let DS play with it while there and then he'll mail it.

Gifts for people there?  We ordered most stuff on-line and had it sent there.  Talk about romantic.  :glare:

• Like 2

http://travelfashiongirl.com/minimalist-travel/ This might help you. My father has went to China 3 times, twice to get each of my siblings (a 10 month old and a nearly 4 year old respectively) and once with a sibling, and has done carry on only every time.

If you need more tips, Google China adoption carry on only. It will likely be old, but should give you tips.

http://travelfashiongirl.com/minimalist-travel/ This might help you. My father has went to China 3 times, twice to get each of my siblings (a 10 month old and a nearly 4 year old respectively) and once with a sibling, and has done carry on only every time.

If you need more tips, Google China adoption carry on only. It will likely be old, but should give you tips.

Right and right off the bat there are items I need that can't go in a carry on and items that are completely unrealistic for what I need to bring.  We are also not tiny Chinese people. Plus we have kids who probably will get bored with traveling for 20 hours and won't be happy with not having something to do.

It's fine.  We will have plenty of space for checked bags. 

Plus, again, weight limits. 

Not crapping on you suggesting it.  I'm crapping on how unrealistic that woman is. 

Did that woman even bring a book?  Who took the pictures (and brought a camera)?  Oh wait a phone?  No phones Internationally without some super mega awesome phone and plan.  And try that all with children.  Not realistic.

These days, I could travel on an airplane without a book -- I'd use my Kindle.  Takes up much less space. But I am not sure I could get that small.  Did she have a washer and dryer avaialble where she was going? She never mentioned how this little clothes lasts 4 weeks so I assume that is the answer.

Yes, I need more for kids. But she didn't have kids along.

Never heard of Lingus, but does Ryanair even fly from the US to Europe?  I thought they only did flights in Europe. 

These days, I could travel on an airplane without a book -- I'd use my Kindle.  Takes up much less space. But I am not sure I could get that small.  Did she have a washer and dryer avaialble where she was going? She never mentioned how this little clothes lasts 4 weeks so I assume that is the answer.

Yes, I need more for kids. But she didn't have kids along.

Yes of course, and that is what we will do (Kindles), but she didn't take anything at all to do as far as I could tell.

Yes of course, and that is what we will do (Kindles), but she didn't take anything at all to do as far as I could tell.

She had her laptop and probably a phone (which may have Kindle stuff on it; she mentioned cell phone power cords) Do international flights let you turn your phone on on airplane mode?

Edited by vonfirmath

Granted I save on space by not needing tons of shoes and makeup, but I have contact lenses, eye glasses, and I don't use a menstrual cup (nor do I want to).  My clothing is also not so tiny because I'm not so tiny!  And my husband is quite a bit bigger than me!

• Like 1

She had her laptop and probably a phone (which may have Kindle stuff on it) Do international flights let you turn your phone on on airplane mode?

She fit a laptop in that bag too?  Seriously?

No you need special phones.  We don't have those kinds of phones anyways. Just cheap prepaid gumball machine phones.  Not smartphones.

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

I have traveled multiple times on long trips with my kids with a carry-on only apiece. I was very nervous the first time but it worked out so well that I absolutely hate having to check baggage now.

Some things I have done:

We bring our phones but keep them on airplane mode for the whole trip. Only use them on wifi or to play games, etc. They we buy a pre-paid phone when we get to our destination for data and cell service.

I have a separate, small GPS unit that I buy maps for and bring. It doesn't need data and it's reliable even when cell coverage is bad.

I have bought trade paperbacks and activity books, etc. at the airport. If you bought it there you can bring it on the plane. Then I can leave it at a B&B or library somewhere along the way when I'm done with it.

My kids generally end up watching the airline provided movies and shows the entire trip no matter what other entertainment I bring.

I buy most toiletries when I get there and throw them out at the end of the trip so I don't have to worry about carry-on size limits.

I have a tiny but very powerful blow dryer.

I schedule at least a 2-night stay somewhere with easy laundry access every 5 days or so.

I bring the bare minimum amount of clothes and try to coordinate everything so I can use one pair of comfortable shoes... And maybe one nice thin pair of flip flops.

I don't bring anything "just in case." Only things I know I will more than likely need during the course of the trip.

That said, our carry-ons are 19 inches, so they would be considered "large." They are soft bodied though, and can be crammed under the seat, so I've never had anyone tell me I can't bring it on, even on international flights. You have a higher chance of them noticing the size of your carry-on if you are boarding towards the end and the baggage bins are getting full, so try and board as soon as you are able.

Hope you have an excellent trip :)

• Like 7

no entertainment on the plane...

Several of the suggestions just won't really cut it for the details of the trip.  Like I don't think my kids will be happy with puzzle books for 20 hours as their only form of entertainment.  I have to bring my own contact lens solutions (which has to be checked due to size).  We will buy anything else there.  Several other factors.

We already paid for the checked bags because we already knew we couldn't squish everything into tiny backpacks. 

No entertainment on the plane? Ouch. Yeah, that makes things pretty hard.

I get it. Sometimes it's impossible to carry-on only. We took my oldest to a ballet camp across the country for two weeks this summer. No way she could have packed all of the required stuff in a carry-on. We checked two bags for her even though it killed me, lol. I hate air travel and airports and hauling luggage in and out of cars and hotel rooms, so that has motivated me to travel light.

• Like 1

No entertainment on the plane? Ouch. Yeah, that makes things pretty hard.

I get it. Sometimes it's impossible to carry-on only. We took my oldest to a ballet camp across the country for two weeks this summer. No way she could have packed all of the required stuff in a carry-on. We checked two bags for her even though it killed me, lol. I hate air travel and airports and hauling luggage in and out of cars and hotel rooms, so that has motivated me to travel light.

Well basically it's a discount airline where it's cheaper, but every single thing costs something.  Even the food.  But despite paying extra for checked bags it still ended up less than anyone else. 

Years ago it was quite easy and generous by comparison.

• Like 2

no entertainment on the plane...

Several of the suggestions just won't really cut it for the details of the trip.  Like I don't think my kids will be happy with puzzle books for 20 hours as their only form of entertainment.  I have to bring my own contact lens solutions (which has to be checked due to size).  We will buy anything else there.  Several other factors.

We already paid for the checked bags because we already knew we couldn't squish everything into tiny backpacks. 

Have they really done away with the in flight movie? Even if you are not flying Lufthansa, most of the affiliates offered those as well on overseas trips.

that was me

:glare:

Internationally.....they have gotten nasty nasty...

I agree with you. The skinny girl in the link above can wear skinny tops and jean shorts with 1" legs. Not at of us can do that. Makes me want to wipe the smirk right off her face. People who are bigger than a size 4 or 6 should be allowed larger bags.

I remember flights with free checked luggage, blankets, pillows in freshly laundered cases, snacks, and lots of meals. Oh, and legroom that wouldn't guarantee a blood clot.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 3

We flew Luftansa but not transatlantic this summer. I wrongfully assumed that we were entitled to one checked luggage as you usually are on transatlantic flights. I took two big suitcases with me and ended up having to pay extra to check them in. Here it gets interesting. In the departing city we paid $100 per suitcase. However, on the way back they only asked us $30 per suitcase. It was bizarre.

In my experience the entertainment options have to do with the size of plane. Luftansa transatlantic flights are increadible with individual screens. European flights had nothing.

• Like 1

In my experience, most transoceanic flights are better and let you check more baggage for free and give you plenty of food with lots of entertainment options. Your problem is that this is a discount airline, not that it's an international flight.

We take as little as possible with us, especially as carry-on luggage. We have backpacks and shoulder bags, all of which would fit your airline's restrictions and they hold plenty of stuff. You can balance the cost of buying food on the airplane, in airports, or using your carry-ons to take food with you. And you're going to a place where you can easily get what you need so it's not the end of the world if something doesn't fit.

And not being able to accept any items or gifts from anyone isn't a bad thing. :) And you're just visiting!

Actually, I'd mostly be sad that food wasn't provided. I am weird, but I've always really liked airplane food and discovering what's inside all those little containers. International flights always have such interesting options.

• Like 1

I take the full size cabin suitcases if I travel without checked luggage, but honestly find it much more comfortable having only a small carry on like I did this year (we have to take two full judo informs plus three sets of harnesses/climbing shoes, which nixed carry-on only this year).

Smaller bag means no fighting for overhead space since it fits nicely under the seat, easy access to your stuff, and easier handling in connections.

DS and I both took about the size of a small backpack, within your limits, and managed each to take sweater, emergency clothing change (underwear and T-shirt), travel size toiletries, a laptop, ipod/cell phone, several books, a notebook, pens, plus I had a few pounds of snacks.

The small size should be fine if you have checked luggage. But yes, it would not work for people traveling with cabin baggage only.

Edited by regentrude

Did that woman even bring a book? Who took the pictures (and brought a camera)? Oh wait a phone? No phones Internationally without some super mega awesome phone and plan. And try that all with children. Not realistic.

I don't know.... We're doing carry-on only for a 4 week winter trip to Europe. We've done a 'trial pack' and all clothes fit into a single packing cube which leaves lots of space around for the 'extras' like electronics and toiletries and scrabble board, pack of cards and tennis ball (shared between family members except for personal electronics - phone and kindle). Heavy jackets will get carried on separately.

It certainly does take compromise on the number of items of clothes you can take, and I totally understand not wanting to do it (we usually don't), but it is doable.

ETA: The differences between airlines, even for checked bags is another story. We mix-and-match airlines for the cheapest travel and have to remember to check each airline.

Edited by nd293
  • Like 1

We are in Portugal by Ryanair at present. We could have 22 inch bags on board but ours are more like the 17 inch. It's not easy but it's doable if you pay to check one suitcase.

For four for ten days in summer we have one 20kg suitcase which mostly has hiking boots, toiletries and books in it. We each have our clothes in the carry on: three pairs of shorts, five each of t shirts and underwear, one sweatshirt. We also have our books for the journey, and phones and medicines. Our phones work in Portugal. We wear lightweight trousers and long sleeve shirts with walking sandals on the plane.

I spend 20 minutes hand washing clothes each morning.

My kids are big though, so in flight entertainment isn't an issue.

ETA the minimalist lady had two carry ons. Not every airline allows that these days. Ryanair does but Easyjet does not. For Easyjet, I stuffed my handbag into my carry on until I had gone through security, then bought a newspaper and put my handbag into the plastic bag, as Easyjet allows for airport purchases.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

We are in Portugal by Ryanair at present. We could have 22 inch bags on board but ours are more like the 17 inch. It's not easy but it's doable if you pay to check one suitcase.

For four for ten days in summer we have one 20kg suitcase which mostly has hiking boots, toiletries and books in it. We each have our clothes in the carry on: three pairs of shorts, five each of t shirts and underwear, one sweatshirt. We also have our books for the journey, and phones and medicines. Our phones work in Portugal. We wear lightweight trousers and long sleeve shirts with walking sandals on the plane.

Oh no no.. See this is how it would go down with my MIL.  She'd wash the clothing and then ball it up and shove it into a laundry basket and hand me an iron.  I'd have to iron it because she would have balled it up and wrinkled it to death and I'd never hear the end of it that I didn't iron it.  I don't iron.  So who wants to spend their vacation ironing for four people?!  Not me. 

Only me and my younger kid will wear shorts.  My husband doesn't own a single pair.  Neither does my older kid.  They hate shorts. 

• Like 1

Oh no no.. See this is how it would go down with my MIL. She'd wash the clothing and then ball it up and shove it into a laundry basket and hand me an iron. I'd have to iron it because she would have balled it up and wrinkled it to death and I'd never hear the end of it that I didn't iron it. I don't iron. So who wants to spend their vacation ironing for four people?! Not me.

Yes. I don't iron either. Wash, hang on the line wear.

• Like 2

ETA the minimalist lady had two carry ons. Not every airline allows that these days. Ryanair does but Easyjet does not. For Easyjet, I stuffed my handbag into my carry on until I had gone through security, then bought a newspaper and put my handbag into the plastic bag, as Easyjet allows for airport purchases.

My goal is normally to get down to a list about this size.

It doesn't come naturally to me. A couple of days before the final pack I start piles for each family member of what I think we need. I go back and pull an item or two out of each pile a couple of times a day. I make everyone look at their pile, if they don't like a tshirt very well now is the time to swap. Or make the decision that it might not be coming home. We never go through everything if I am able to hand wash often and no one dumps food all over themselves. Dh and I frequently intentionally take clothing we don't like and plan to leave it behind and have space for some purchases on the return trip. We all take our oldest underwear etc.

We try to wear the bulky items like jeans on the plane. We wear the sweatshirts (zip type) and carry remove them on the plane.

Regarding the mil, if she won't let you take care of your family's laundry wear the wrinkles one day and tell her you don't iron on holiday when doing the laundry properly would prevent wrinkles. I am the survivor of many wrinkle wars with a really determined mil. I only iron for quilting and for a really special item.

• Like 1

Haha, I feel your pain.  

We usually travel with  a European carrier because luggage allowances are more generous and there's a tiny bit more leg room.  Also, in flight movies.  In-flight movies have revolutionized our carryon packing.  I pack for six people in ONE carry on.  One large backpack (but that still fits under seat).  If we didn't have in-flight movies, it'd be another story.  

In the backpack, we've got:

- diapers and wipes

- 2 kindles, 2 iPads, an iPod touch, and a spare battery.  

- change of clothes for baby

- notepad for me in case I need to jot something down

- lollipops and other bribes

- coloring books and pens

- a few meds- headache, nausea, etc.  

- passports, flight papers

- depending on the flight, gluten-free snacks for DS.  The airline we usually use provides a GF meal now, but I always like to have something just in case the special meal doesn't get on board.

- canister of pringles 

... and that's it.  Yes, no toys for the 2yo.  He flips through magazines, tears papers, eats snacks, and presses buttons on the iPad.  I hope he'll be ready for watching a movie on the next flight when he's 2.5.  

Having said all that, my kids are "seasoned travelers".  When we first started, we took a LOT more stuff because they required more entertaining.  I think they've learned to pace themselves in terms of working through movies, books, snacks, etc.  

Because we have the right to six carry-ons, we probably could travel without checked bags as long as we didn't purchase anything in California, but I always stock up on books while there.  Also, who wants to try to find overhead space for six carryons?  Yikes.  However, my step-dad is 6ft 5in, and one pair of his jeans literally takes up the equivalent space of all of my clothes for the whole trip (5ft 2in) so I can see how carry-on only is just not an option for some.  

Anyway, I'm just chatting.  Best of luck on your packing!  Enjoy the trip!  

• Like 1

We did 3 weeks in Europe with just carry ons. I think we paid extra to check DH's larger, wheeled carry on backpack on Ryanair (we knew in advance we would have to) but otherwise everything came with us on the plane. My tote bag (all I took) and DS's small backpack (all he took) fit under the seats. Our coats became blankets.

I'm such a fan of traveling light, it's just less stress for me. We flew redeye so no need for entertainment.

Idk. I can't imagine taking more than we did and would take much less next time. One thing we found handy for extra space were string bags--they pack into nothing when unused and fit anywhere when you need them, plus they hold tons of stuff. They work great under the seat of even the most budget European airline.

Does MIL need to know when you hand wash items? I would just be sneaky about it, like when you take a shower or brush your teeth, just quietly wash a few items (IN the shower works super well). Roll wet clothes up in a towel and hang dry in your room. She doesn't need to be involved.

(My MIL is a busybody and I've learned how to get my things done around her without her knowing and thus becoming an Issue a That Won't Go Away. It's much better for me that way).

• Like 1

Does MIL need to know when you hand wash items? I would just be sneaky about it, like when you take a shower or brush your teeth, just quietly wash a few items (IN the shower works super well). Roll wet clothes up in a towel and hang dry in your room. She doesn't need to be involved.

(My MIL is a busybody and I've learned how to get my things done around her without her knowing and thus becoming an Issue a That Won't Go Away. It's much better for me that way).

How would she not know?  And jeans do not dry fast.

Anyhow this isn't really a big deal except we didn't have enough proper sized bags.  We bought bags from previous trips that no longer can be used.  So I had to spend more money on bags!  They keep changing the sizes of this stuff.  Those cabin suitcases?  Nope.  We have super small ones and they don't meet the requirements anymore.

I know you're frustrated by the size requirements, but I kind of like the challenge!

I'm on a minimalist packing quest for a 2 week UK trip. We've always been light packers and up until now we always just carry on rolling suitcases, but I hate dragging those around town and hauling them up and down stairs and across cobblestones. Plus, I often find I don't use all of the stuff I bring. So this next trip in a couple weeks, we're going ultra-minimalist with only a purse and daypack each. I'm really excited, though I just bought (for 3.99$) a fabric gym bag from ikea that folds down really small and I'll take that with us so that we have an additional bag should we come back with more than we left with.

• Like 1

When I go to my moms for a couple of days.....I drive so I can take as much as I want....I sometimes challenge myself to take as little as possible. But that is going to my mms where I can use her face wash and flat iron and steal her socks if I run out.

Generally I love the idea of minimal living....but I feel yer pain about the airline regulations.

Did you really say this was an ocean-crossing flight without on-board entertainment?!?!  That is insane.

Last fall we were on American Airlines trans Atlantic  and the inflight movie system didn't work.  Wow, did that seem like a LONG flight ... I hadn't planned any other entertainment, and the guy in the seat in front of me was about 6'5" and kept stretching out his seat right into my lap (I may or may not have entertained myself by kicking his seat).

(That was also the flight that dd started by throwing up into the bag before we even took off.  OTOH, she pretty much passed out after that, so the lack of entertainment didn't bother her.)

How old are your kids sparkly? This might be the time for a deck of cards and teaching them every card game you ever heard of. Maybe even getting a book on your kindle entitled 1001 card games or something like that?

No no...we are bringing plenty to do.  This is not the problem.  The problem is we didn't have bags that match the requirement so I had to buy new bags.  We had bags we've used on flights and now they can no longer be used!  They keep changing the sizes of what is allowed!!

We already bought check in bag allowance.  We just didn't want to have to pay a zillion dollars to increase the size allowed for carry on!

Haha, I feel your pain.  

We usually travel with  a European carrier because luggage allowances are more generous and there's a tiny bit more leg room.  Also, in flight movies.  In-flight movies have revolutionized our carryon packing.  I pack for six people in ONE carry on.  One large backpack (but that still fits under seat).  If we didn't have in-flight movies, it'd be another story.  

In the backpack, we've got:

- diapers and wipes

- 2 kindles, 2 iPads, an iPod touch, and a spare battery.  

- change of clothes for baby

- notepad for me in case I need to jot something down

- lollipops and other bribes

- coloring books and pens

- a few meds- headache, nausea, etc.  

- passports, flight papers

- depending on the flight, gluten-free snacks for DS.  The airline we usually use provides a GF meal now, but I always like to have something just in case the special meal doesn't get on board.

- canister of pringles 

... and that's it.  Yes, no toys for the 2yo.  He flips through magazines, tears papers, eats snacks, and presses buttons on the iPad.  I hope he'll be ready for watching a movie on the next flight when he's 2.5.  

Having said all that, my kids are "seasoned travelers".  When we first started, we took a LOT more stuff because they required more entertaining.  I think they've learned to pace themselves in terms of working through movies, books, snacks, etc.  

Because we have the right to six carry-ons, we probably could travel without checked bags as long as we didn't purchase anything in California, but I always stock up on books while there.  Also, who wants to try to find overhead space for six carryons?  Yikes.  However, my step-dad is 6ft 5in, and one pair of his jeans literally takes up the equivalent space of all of my clothes for the whole trip (5ft 2in) so I can see how carry-on only is just not an option for some.  

Anyway, I'm just chatting.  Best of luck on your packing!  Enjoy the trip!  

The carry on for all 6 of you has all your clothes too?

Now I am freaking out about our upcoming international trip.  I need to see if the carry on rules are any different.

Now I am freaking out about our upcoming international trip.  I need to see if the carry on rules are any different.

I highly doubt it.

If I were to put one pair of jeans into my backpack, there wouldn't be a ton of space left for much else!  A 17 inch back pack is not very large. 

• Like 1

No!  We take checked luggage.  I said we probably *could* do all carry-on, but it would suck to try to stow six carry on pieces in overhead.  The backpack with the listed items is just all I take on board.  I think it's pretty minimalist for 6 people including toddler.  lol

• Like 1

No!  We take checked luggage.  I said we probably *could* do all carry-on, but it would suck to try to stow six carry on pieces in overhead.  The backpack with the listed items is just all I take on board.  I think it's pretty minimalist for 6 people including toddler.  lol

Ahh

I got it.

We travel with our family of 7 with 4 carry on suitcases for clothes for up to 3 weeks.  Although we do bring 6 backpacks too.  This got me thinking maybe we could cut out the some of the backpacks.  Although we usually have food for the flight in everyone's bags.

Hmm