Menu

Landry Academy Start Date Change...

As melmichigan (thankfully) pointed out in the status update area, Landry has shifted their schedule back by a week for the start date of Fall classes.  It is buried in a recent e-mail.  Frankly, I wish they had sent a separate e-mail in really bold letters to notify people about the change.

Anyway, check your emails.  The start date is now the following week, not August 15th but August 22nd.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 2

As melmichigan (thankfully) pointed out in the status update area, Landry has shifted their schedule back by a week for the start date of Fall classes.  It is buried in a recent e-mail.  Frankly, I wish they had sent a separate e-mail in really bold letters to notify people about the change.

Anyway, check your emails.  The start date is now the following week, not August 15th but August 22nd.

I'm just lucky I actually read that one!  Usually, once registration is over and I know I have generic semesters I quit opening them.  :blush: I think they should sent a separate email with the change as the heading.

• Like 2

I'm just lucky I actually read that one!  Usually, once registration is over and I know I have generic semesters I quit opening them.  :blush: I think they should sent a separate email with the change as the heading.

I agree.  It should have been a separate e-mail.  I'm really, really grateful you caught it and said something on the main page or I probably would not have seen it.  I have not read through an entire Landry email in a week or two.  Just not enough time and most of it doesn't pertain to us.  This definitely did.  Thanks again.  Truly.  :)

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad you posted this. I had no idea.

I will admit their emails bug me. They are so long and random. The formatting looks weird and is hard to read on my phone. I've stopped reading their emails all together. They really need to have someone put together more professional looking emails (and website too-because I find it tough to navigate at times).

Edit: for typos...

Edited by lexi
  • Like 1

I will admit their emails bug me. They are so long and random. The formatting looks weird and is hard to read on my phone. I've stopped reading their emails all together. They really need to have someone put together more professional looking emails (and website too-because I find it tough to navigate at times).

Agreed.  :)

ITA. I can't even read their e-mails; they send WAY too many and they are so awful to look at. Swipe & delete...
  • Like 1

I usually just delete their big random emails, but actually read that one.

I hate how many they send out with little to no real info - just links to the same things over & over again.

Does anyone else think there is some sort of big ponzi scheme going on with the generic semesters & pricing? I'm glad they've been doing this for so many years because otherwise I would have serious misgivings about buying stuff as far ahead as I do with them.

I'm also thinking of unsubscribing to most of their emails in order to cut down on the number that I receive.

• Like 3

I usually just delete their big random emails, but actually read that one.

I hate how many they send out with little to no real info - just links to the same things over & over again.

Does anyone else think there is some sort of big ponzi scheme going on with the generic semesters & pricing? I'm glad they've been doing this for so many years because otherwise I would have serious misgivings about buying stuff as far ahead as I do with them.

I'm also thinking of unsubscribing to most of their emails in order to cut down on the number that I receive.

:) Yeah, the generics have been a big help and I am glad that Landry has been around as long as they have so I can trust those generics won't go away any time soon but there have been times when it seems kind of weird with the push and the pricing stuff.  Oh, well.  Those generics have made Landry possible for DD and she has enjoyed many of their classes (it has not been a good fit for DS).  

I must admit all the zillions of random, poorly organized emails that take a ton of time to read through and mostly do not pertain to my family's needs get annoying.  And if they have something rather important to say (LIKE WE ARE CHANGING THE START DATE FOR ALL OF OUR CLASSES BY A WEEK) that absolutely 100% should have been sent in a separate clearly stated email.  And honestly it should have been sent weeks ago.  A change like that should have been done at least by the spring.

• Like 1

I think there should be two email lists, a general email list, and one for enrolled families.  

We just recently received an email, they changed the day of the week that the class is offered.

I'm glad that generics have made the classes possible for my kids, but that seems to be changing.  The number of classes that aren't strongly faith based is decreasing, and I think it will continue to now that Landry is printing their own textbooks.  In the end they opted to leave the textbook for the class I have a child enrolled in this year, but it will probably change for next year.  We are also noticing an increase in the English classes now that this is the second round of kids through, but I'm hoping that is more teacher dependent.  I'm going to have to decide if I have to many generics stashed now that other providers are proving to be a better fit for some of the classes.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 2

I think there should be two email lists, a general email list, and one for enrolled families.

We just recently received an email, they changed the day of the week that the class is offered.

I'm glad that generics have made the classes possible for my kids, but that seems to be changing. The number of classes that aren't strongly faith based is decreasing, and I think it will continue to now that Landry is printing their own textbooks. In the end they opted to leave the textbook for the class I have a child enrolled in this year, but it will probably change for next year. We are also noticing an increase in the English classes now that this is the second round of kids through, but I'm hoping that is more teacher dependent. I'm going to have to decide if I have to many generics stashed now that other providers are proving to be a better fit for some of the classes.

I just wanted to share that the Landry English class my kid is taking uses all MCT materials. I don't think they're at all faith based, and I know they're using them for at least 8th and 9th grade English. Just wanted to share!

• Like 1

I just wanted to share that the Landry English class my kid is taking uses all MCT materials. I don't think they're at all faith based, and I know they're using them for at least 8th and 9th grade English. Just wanted to share!

Maybe I need to clarify my statement.  I said "we are also noticing an increase in the English classes now that this is the second round of kids through, but I'm hoping that is more teacher dependent."  That is not the classroom materials, they are the MCT and LL in English I-IV, but the classroom discussion and questions.  

My DS took a class that DD's had taken previously, and he had many more questions centering around faith/religious belief in the literature portion compared to the past session.  I even pulled out the binder of assignments and checked, because the girls didn't remember any.  The class was focusing discussion on faith/religious belief in books that the other kids had no mention of it in.  That is why I said it must be teacher dependent. Ymmv. 

​I'm sure this would be a positive for those who are looking for faith/religious belief woven completely into each subject, and Landry appears to be moving that way.  It doesn't work for us because we were choosing the class based on the materials. We will see how it goes, I have kids in two sections of English again this year.  As I also said, this year I have one in a class using an AP textbook, but according to the representative, next year it will most likely move to a Landry published book, taking it off the table for my future students.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 2

Maybe I need to clarify my statement. I said "we are also noticing an increase in the English classes now that this is the second round of kids through, but I'm hoping that is more teacher dependent." That is not the classroom materials, they are the MCT and LL in English I-IV, but the classroom discussion and questions.

My DS took a class that DD's had taken previously, and he had many more questions centering around faith/religious belief in the literature portion compared to the past session. I even pulled out the binder of assignments and checked, because the girls didn't remember any. The class was focusing discussion on faith/religious belief in books that the other kids had no mention of it in. That is why I said it must be teacher dependent. Ymmv.

​I'm sure this would be a positive for those who are looking for faith/religious belief woven completely into each subject, and Landry appears to be moving that way. It doesn't work for us because we were choosing the class based on the materials. We will see how it goes, I have kids in two sections of English again this year. As I also said, this year I have one in a class using an AP textbook, but according to the representative, next year it will most likely move to a Landry published book, taking it off the table for my future students.

I hear you on that. I STRUGGLE with many homeschool/self published type curriculum. I'm not old school textbook, but I need some "history" with the publisher. We've enjoyed our Landry classes so far and didn't find much faith saturation beyond an opening prayer. We've done writing, robotics, art, logic, and baking.

• Like 1

I hear you on that. I STRUGGLE with many homeschool/self published type curriculum. I'm not old school textbook, but I need some "history" with the publisher. We've enjoyed our Landry classes so far and didn't find much faith saturation beyond an opening prayer. We've done writing, robotics, art, logic, and baking.

Thank you for the list, writing is actually something we are starting this year, so that is good news!

• Like 1