Menu

Diana Hanbury King's Writing Skills--do I need the Teacher's Manual?

Jayne J

Just a head's up. Writing Skills is *super* dry. The instruction is good, but we eventually had to switch because my son hated it because it was soooo boring.

I have found Write Shop more to our liking. It has both format and style instruction, whereas Writing Skills was all about format.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up! I am planning to intersperse some fun creative writing from this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1118024311/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

DD has dyslexia and needs REALLY explicit, step-by-step instruction, so this seemed like the thing, but I agree that it could be dull-ish without something else to spice it up.

Edited by Jayne J

My DD is using Writing Skills -- and we haven't needed the guide. DD is probably dyslexic and hates to write, but she has appreciated knowing exactly what's expected of her. In fact, I asked her about switching to something more interesting this year, but she's chosen to stick with WS.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up! I am planning to intersperse some fun creative writing from this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1118024311/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

DD has dyslexia and needs REALLY explicit, step-by-step instruction, so this seemed like the thing, but I agree that it could be dull-ish without something else to spice it up.

The Don't Forget to Write! series is exceptional, but if you need something with more scaffolding you could look at the Just Write books by EPS.  Just Write Book 1 (015545) Details - Rainbow Resource Center, Inc.

• Like 1