Menu

Well Trained Mind Academy vs AoPS live class

I'm considering doing math (Algebra 1) through the WTMA (assuming it's not too late to register). DS is finishing up Pre-A through Aops live classes right now. It's gone well, but he doesn't particularly pay attention to the text only class. Since Pre-A has been a review for him this hasn't been a huge deal. The class, more than anything, has just taught him how to set a goal and get x amount done each week. But as he starts to move into more unfamiliar math I think the instruction piece will be valuable. However, the Aops text based class is just hard for him to pay attention to. It sounds like WTMA will move slower-which is no big deal. He could take either pace fine. I just want him to have a firm footing. We are not in any hurry to finish anything as we are plenty far ahead. He loves math but not so much so that he wants to be doing assignments for hours a day. I like the idea of having tests and more feedback than he gets in the Aops classes.

Any reviews of how these WTMA classes go? I guess if they spend the whole year only covering half the Algebra 1 book, then we will have to go back to Aops to do C/P and Number Theory.

I didn't see those classes listed. Also it looked like they didn't go higher than finishing the Aops Algebra 1 book? How are the teachers? Any info would be great.

The clock is ticking. The neighborhood kids went back to public school yesterday and I'm still struggling to decide what we are doing in the fall.