Menu

Nature Study

AFthfulJrney

I've never done any type of nature study with my kids. No journals, no nature walks, nothing. And I'm sad about it. I really want to add nature study to our homeschool this year and I'm wondering how best to fit it in.

We are studying Botany this year with Quark Chronicles for science. Would I make our nature study separate from this, or include it as one? If I did it as something separate, how many days a week would we devote to it? I also purchased awhile back Lynn Seddon's Exploring Nature with Children that I planned on using for nature study at some point.

Sometimes I choose a specific topic for nature study, but I often just let the kids each pick something themselves.  My goals are for them to appreciate the beauty, variety, and order in nature and for them to learn to observe closely what they see.  They can choose something we find on our walk, but they have to draw it as carefully as possible while looking at it (building observation skills) and then we read about it in the Handbook of Nature Study.  I'd like to get more into identification and writing the scientific names of things eventually with my oldest but we haven't done much of that yet.

We do nature study once a week instead of science.  Honestly, I think that whatever you are willing to do realistically is the best thing to do.  I wouldn't set too many heavy goals for yourself if its something you haven't done before, just start simple and try to be somewhat consistent.

Another way to incorporate nature study can be through classes at a local nature park if there is one near you.  We have enjoyed some classes that taught my kids how to identify animal tracks, birding for beginners, and other similar topics.  Those are a good place to start learning more about the nature in your area.

• Like 3

Another way to incorporate nature study can be through classes at a local nature park if there is one near you.  We have enjoyed some classes that taught my kids how to identify animal tracks, birding for beginners, and other similar topics.  Those are a good place to start learning more about the nature in your area.

:iagree:  :iagree:

• Like 2

I also am planning on using Exploring Nature with Children -- it looks doable and fun, and educational for all. I say just jump in. Can you have too much nature study? Nah. 

How does weekly sound to you? And more time in nature is a bonus? 

We're also planning on linking up with some fellow homeschoolers for group nature study. Don't let it overwhelm you. Just be out in nature to start.

We are studying Botany this year with Quark Chronicles for science. Would I make our nature study separate from this, or include it as one? If I did it as something separate, how many days a week would we devote to it? I also purchased awhile back Lynn Seddon's Exploring Nature with Children that I planned on using for nature study at some point.

I don't know why you couldn't include nature study of trees, plants, wildflowers, etc. as part of your Botany.  I think that would make it more interesting for the kids.  You could do a leaf collection and work on identifying trees, etc.  Depending on what region of the country you live in, you may want to start on the trees as soon as you can.

We really enjoyed studying wild edibles. I am not sure that some people would consider that "nature study" but it was a fun way to learn about plants, nuts and seeds.