Menu

Some info for NCAA peeps

I spoke with Kristin today in the homeschool department regarding whether online dual enrollment classes were scrutinized the same way as online high school classes (with restrictions as to "approved providers"), and she said that as long as a transcript is sent directly from the college, there would be no problem with getting approval regardless of whether they are online or in person.

I also spoke with someone in the legal department (didn't get his name, sorry) to ask about restrictions on college classes during a gap year. He said that auditing classes would be no problem at all, and even taking classes P/T for credit would not cause problems, as long as the college he eventually enrolls in and competes for does not have a problem with it. In DS's case, I wouldn't want to jeopardize his ability to apply as a freshman, so he would only audit during his gap year, but it's good to know that he can do that with no effect on NCAA eligibility. I think it might also be possible to do something like the EdX/ASU courses, where you can take the MOOC and then later pay to convert it to college credit without actually being "enrolled" in ASU, but I would want to double-check that with whatever college he ends up signing with.

In DS's case, I wouldn't want to jeopardize his ability to apply as a freshman, so he would only audit during his gap year,

Just a word of caution: at many colleges, students auditing a course are required to pay the full tuition. In this case, auditing is a bad investment.

• Like 2

Just a word of caution: at many colleges, students auditing a course are required to pay the full tuition. In this case, auditing is a bad investment.

Oh I know he would have to pay tuition. He is primarily interested in modern foreign language classes, which are harder to do on your own compared to Greek/Latin/Norse, and tuition is actually cheaper than tutoring. (Tutoring around here runs about $40/hr; the equivalent cost of instruction at the CC is about $12/hr.) Plus, one of the colleges he's interested in has a generous credit-by-exam program, so if he audits language classes at the CC and then does CBE, that would actually work out cheaper than taking it at the uni once he's fully enrolled. And even if he ends up somewhere that doesn't do CBE, being able to test into a higher level would be worth it to him. 

• Like 1