Menu

First Form Latin DVD...review?

Janeway

Absolutely worth the cost, from my perspective!  I even used the DVD while leading a Latin Study Group at a local library.  I think the teacher does a great job and is funny and entertaining while really reinforcing the lesson of the week through repetition and review as well as coverage of new material.  He also teaches the Second Form Latin on DVD, so I recommend that one, too (eventually).  [Fourth Form Latin, though, is quite a drag as the instructor is NOT entertaining and I do not like how there is no Latin shown on the screen for us visual learner types.] 

BUT, for the First Form Latin DVD, there is plenty of Latin shown on the screen and I HIGHLY recommend getting this DVD, whether using this specific program or even for those just wanting to study Latin...it is that good!!!

Brenda

• Like 1

I have a different opinion, and I really love Memoria Press Latin! I just don't like the First Form videos. He talks way too fast!!! You should watch a sample to see if that bothers you. I thought I could deal with it, because he's genuinely a good teacher, but I feel like I should put the video in slow motion so I can catch what he's saying.

Also, the videos are brief introductions to the new concepts, and while offering good information, does not adequately teach the entire lesson. I felt like I still had to wrestle with the lesson in order to impart the pertinent information to my kids. Without any Latin background myself, I found this increasingly challenging to do.

As much as I hated to do it I had to stop teaching First Form half-way through. I decided to go with Latin Alive because the videos were much more thorough and the teacher was excellent, breaking down each step of the lesson into manageable chunks. Even though I like First Form better, I needed the hand-holding that the Latin Alive videos provided more.

Hope that helps!

• Like 3

I have a different opinion, and I really love Memoria Press Latin! I just don't like the First Form videos. He talks way too fast!!! You should watch a sample to see if that bothers you. I thought I could deal with it, because he's genuinely a good teacher, but I feel like I should put the video in slow motion so I can catch what he's saying.

Also, the videos are brief introductions to the new concepts, and while offering good information, does not adequately teach the entire lesson. I felt like I still had to wrestle with the lesson in order to impart the pertinent information to my kids. Without any Latin background myself, I found this increasingly challenging to do.

As much as I hated to do it I had to stop teaching First Form half-way through. I decided to go with Latin Alive because the videos were much more thorough and the teacher was excellent, breaking down each step of the lesson into manageable chunks. Even though I like First Form better, I needed the hand-holding that the Latin Alive videos provided more.

Hope that helps!

He does talk fast, but if you play the DVD back on a PC you can usually adjust the playback speed. It makes the recitations much easier to follow. Edited by SevenDaisies

He does go REALLY fast. I didn't like that at first, but over time I've come to appreciate him. (I don't like the 3rd form guy nearly as much.)

It helps to be watching the videos for the second time.

And yes, the videos help, but there are other things to go over with the TM and more recitations are always helpful.

Some people don't feel like they need the DVDs. They were helpful here.

Here was one person's schedule using the DVD. You'll note that they look over the lesson & listen to the audio before watching the video (day 2). I think that's helpful for some.

There is a thread with First Form Latin Questions that also talk about how people use or don't use the DVD lessons and additional chalk-talk in the TM.

• Like 1

I am going through First Form with my dc (not doing the workbook) so I am going through the the material and we practice recitations together. Because of that, I don't mind that it doesn't include more; it is just enough to give my students and me a boost. We use the DVD 2-3 times/week to introduce and then review the lesson.

I am going through these this summer (preparing to teach this fall). They have been so helpful...couldn't do it without them. No, he doesn't cover everything but enough to really help and then be able to dig in from there. He does talk fast for the recitation section but not the rest of the time. (And you could slow him down on computer). Very fun, entertaining, and helpful.

• Like 1

We're going through First Form now and love the DVDs. The instructor gives great insight about different aspects of learning Latin. (At one point, he compares the different tense signs to men wearing different hats in a room. Great imagery that my daughter and I found very helpful.) As an added bonus he has a nice dry wit, which we also like. I appreciate that he's concise. I haven't noticed the fast talking, most likely because we're fast talkers here too -- think it's a regional thing. ; )

• Like 2

He does go REALLY fast. I didn't like that at first, but over time I've come to appreciate him. (I don't like the 3rd form guy nearly as much.)

It helps to be watching the videos for the second time.

And yes, the videos help, but there are other things to go over with the TM and more recitations are always helpful.

Some people don't feel like they need the DVDs. They were helpful here.

Here was one person's schedule using the DVD. You'll note that they look over the lesson & listen to the audio before watching the video (day 2). I think that's helpful for some.

There is a thread with First Form Latin Questions that also talk about how people use or don't use the DVD lessons and additional chalk-talk in the TM.

I agree with this one.  We don't like nor use the Third Form or Fourth Form dvds here. The Third Form guy really just read through the lesson in the book.  He didn't add to the lesson at all.

But the man on First and Second Form is awesome.  My latin kids (class from co-op) LOVE him. We refer to jokes from him all of the time.  And his stuff stuck with them.  They all used the videos at home and we did the lessons together at co-op class.

We stopped using the vides with Third Form. But First is really worth it to me.

• Like 1