Menu

Singapore 2A to Rightstart B?

Placement test is placing her in RSB because she hasn't covered 4 digit addition. I've also heard B is "magic" and a favorite year for many RS lovers. But, this is placing her significantly behind grade level and I'm not sure that's worth the switch. Singapore has worked really well for my olders but this one has dyslexia and we're hitting lots of walls. I'm thinking she needs a slower pace, lots of games, lots of manipulatives. Should we get B and work on just the few concepts she hasn't gotten yet? Jump into C? Or just continue with Singapore and wrestle with how to slow down and include more games?

Assuming you are talking about the current edition, Level C *completely* recovers the four-digit addition, just as if it were never covered in B. (Which drove me bonkers, since DD learned it in B!) If that's the only skill she's missing, I say jump into Level C.

• Like 3

I might add another suggestion. IF she only does not know 4 digit addition from levels B and C, but has everything else mastered, then just teach 4 digit addition yourself and then place her in the next level up. No reason to do an entire year worth of work over 1 thing being needed.

Did she fully grasp everything in Singapore? If not, I'd be hesitant about putting her too far ahead.

As to grade level, in my area RS runs pretty much a full grade level ahead, so RS B covers almost all of second grade math.

Have you called and spoken to the RS people? They can be quite helpful about placement questions.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Call the RightStart office for sure. They can help you get a better fit. Perhaps doing some specific card games for awhile will help make C a successful year for her.

More important than being on grade level is making sure she has solid understanding and is able to break through those walls.

• Like 1