Menu

Holt McDougal Modern Chemistry?

DD is doing a lab class using the Holt-McDougal Biology, and I'm going through the online book and correlating topics with the other bio texts we have, because it's so much lighter than even "Baby Campbell". I think she'll enjoy the labs, but I can't see making her use the book. FWIW, if you're OK with online only, a one year subscription to the online stuff is available at Rainbow Resource, and includes the digital version of the book.

We found the chemistry plenty hard enough for my 10th-grader, lol. The teacher's guide has "differentiated instruction" so you can adjust for different level learners to some extent, or just have additional explanation. It is billed as suitable for pre-AP classes but I also found several schools that use it for their AP class. There's lots of math, it's definitely not conceptual chemistry. 

It's nice to have everything laid out for you. There are an abundance of practice problems and section quizzes, and there are two tests available for every chapter (Test B is harder). We liked the review games a lot. 

There are plenty of videos and simulations and other resources. You do need to spend some time at the beginning sorting through everything so you know what's there. You also need to decide which chapters are essential to cover; there are 23 and I've seen syllabi that only cover 10-12 (usually going in order). 

You might have to substitute a lot of the labs due to equipment required. We did a small group lab separately, so I really don't remember how many of the labs in Holt were workable. 

The price is reasonable for high school science.