Menu

Online/self paced French and Spanish options? Help please!!!

I am looking for suggestions and recommendations for Foreign Language options for my oldest 2 daughters.  They will be 5th and 6th grade by age, but they both are functioning around a 7th grade level.  We haven't done a formal foreign language yet, please don't judge me about that.  We have done some fun informal Spanish non curriculum stuff in the past few years.  My oldest loves French and my 2nd one likes Spanish.   Self taught cd/video or online class would be best.  We are already pretty packed in our school day and I have the younger 2 who are 1st grade and 4th grade.  Thanks for any suggestions.

ETA:  I want to try French for my oldest who is 11 and Spanish for my next two who are 9 and 10.  Cost will be a factor.  I am willing to stretch the budget for a great program that will need little help from me, but I have 3 to buy for.

Any different suggestions for Online/self paced French for 11 year old?

Online/self pace Spanish upper elementary (2 students)?

Edited by freemanfamilyof6

My fairly similarly aged kids used Spanish for Children from Classical Academic Press paired with daily Duolingo app practice last year. It worked very well for us and I have no complaints. SFC on its own does not have nearly enough practice for us, but it's a strong parts to whole program. Duolingo is fabulous for practice and review, but it doesn't explicitly teach any of the grammar. Mine spent 20-30 minutes working on Duolingo and did about a page a day in SFC, which has a DVD to teach the lessons.

• Like 1

TPS's online French sequence is pretty good. We've used their high school French 1, 2 and two years of 4/5. (4/5 is the same level, with different book selections, so you can take French 4/5 with one set of works one year and French 4/5 the next year with a second set of works.)  The instructor is well-liked by the students and does a great job of teaching and bringing the students along, keeping their interest. She is not native French, but she has been teaching for a long time and has spent time in France and her spoken French is good.

Another advantage of TPS's French is that there is a clear, structured path from French 1 to the lit-based French 4/5 classes. They're adding AP French this coming year.

The one thing that I'd like to see is more rigorous correction of written work.

• Like 2

Did you start with Primer A?  Do you need the DVD/Chant CD?

Yes, we started with Primer A of Spanish for Children. If you plan to have them do this mostly on their own I would definitely get the DVD. I'd only skip it if you are already fairly good at Spanish and would help teach the lessons.

Easy Peasy High School Spanish?

EP also has French 1, but I haven't looked at that at all.

P.S. I'd start with something like Getting Started with Spanish & Getting Started with French. Not online - although the audio files are - but a great start for any foreign language. (I felt the French is too easy & there isn't much there, but French is my language. Spanish was just right for a beginner, so I'm probably misjudging French.)

Edited by RootAnn