Menu

AP Biology using Campbell & Reece Concepts & Connections?

Does anyone have, or know where I could find, an approved AP Bio syllabus that uses the Concepts & Connections text? Three of the 4 samples on the AP page use the "big" Campbell and the other uses Raven. I know that the Concepts & Connections book has been used for AP; I can find schedules but I can't find an approved syllabus. 

I would not use Campbell's Concepts and Connections for AP Biology if you want your child to take the exam.  We used this book as our biology book the year before my daughter took AP Bio, and then her teacher used the "big" Campbell for AP Bio.  Concepts and Connections is good, but it is not as in-depth as Campbell's and doesn't have the breadth either.  Besides, as you have found, you will find very little support materials to go with Concepts and Connections compared to Campbell's Biology.

I will tell you that I had emailed Mr. Anderson who does the Bozeman Science Podcasts, and he did tell me he used Concepts and Connections.  But I can also tell you that he has an amazing amount of other material, including a whole year-long game-driven portion of his curriculum, which he created. He does a lot outside of the book!

Do you have time to wait a year and do Concepts and Connections followed by Campbell's Biology?

• Like 1

I agree with learners4lofe. I am using the Concepts and Connections with my dd who is specifically not ready for AP bio. It doesn't have near the biochem level of coverage as AP level books.

I have an older AP version (from when my 21 yr old was a sr). You are welcome to have it. I have the study guide, too. (Well, I think I have them in the house. I'd have to look for sure. They might be in storage.)

• Like 1

Hmmm, maybe I will just call it Honors Bio and have him focus on the SAT2. I was originally planning to have him do DE Bio next year, but looking at his competition schedule I think he would miss too many in-person classes. I was thinking that AP Bio would give him an extra point on his GPA, like DE does, but I'm not sure how keen he is on the exam anyway (which for him, with extra time, would be 4.5 hours).

I have the text and the online access code for C&C, as well as a copy of the "big" Campbell, and an unused code for Thinkwell's AP Bio, so I guess we will just start working through a couple of those and see how far he gets. If he decides in the spring that he could sit for the AP exam, he can do some intensive prep. Alternatively, one of the schools on his list gives credit for the Bio CLEP, so that could be an option, too.

• Like 1