Menu

Ray Leven, Homeschool Spanish Academy, and SYRWLS Spanish

I am very disappointed ds11.6 does't want to continue Henle Latin anymore. He says it is very hard even though I think he is doing very well, getting >90% for all exercises, quizzes and tests. I hope I can convince him to continue.

He really wants to do Spanish instead. He did all of GSWS and some Duolingo Spanish and did very well, too.

I might switch both dc to Spanish. I read rave reivews of Ray Leven, but the price tag is too night for two dc. Homeschool Spanish Academy sounds reasonable for price. SYRWLS Spanish sounds like a solid program to teach at home by mom.

Mostly probably we will choose between Homeschool Spanish Academy and SYRWLS. Can you tell me what each is like? How many Skype hours do you need to buy for one level and how much homework a week? For SYRWLS, how many lessons are there? How many hours of work is there in a week?

I hope to find out more details to help us decide on one program. I am leaning toward doing SYRWLS at least for the first year and then transition to online classes. Or maybe I should just start with Homeschool Spanish Academy? We plan to go to Costa Rica next summer for a week, which will be a good incentive for the boys and me to study together.

Thanks!

Edited by JadeOrchidSong

SYRWTLS is a good curriculum. I taught oldest dd Spanish 1 using it plus supplementing with a bit more practice from a used college text. I didn't feel proficient enough to go beyond that at home, so she took Spanish 2 and 3 from Dale Gamache at La Clase Divertida. She was well-prepared and even a tiny bit ahead of the Spanish 2 class when she started. FWIW, after she finished Spanish 3 with Sr. Gamache, she got a 70 on the Spanish CLEP (worth 12 credits at her college).

• Like 2