Menu

Your state study

lgliser

We have friends that go to a private school and they mentioned how 4th grade was when they do a big unit on our state.  And of course I remember learning about my state in school when I was in elementary school.

I didn't grow up in this state so sadly I don't know a lot about it.  It's not like I can just randomly interject fun facts about it here and there.  So I'd like to do some intentional learning about our state this year.

We could Google things, but I wondered if anyone had any suggestions.  Might it also be good to incorporate some social studies type things?  Government lessons?  Again, SADLY, I don't really remember/know a ton about government... it's not really my thing!  So I feel like I'd want some actual curriculum.  

We went to the library and got out some books on our state.  PA does state history in 4th grade, I think, so there are lots of books.  We did stuff with maps, and went on field trips to landmarks - though we always did that sort of thing anyway.   Look into indigenous cultures too.  In my area of PA, there are places to learn about the Lenape.   I found it pretty easy to  give a good overview of PA history.

Later, maybe middle school? - we read and annotated the PA state charter.  That was kinda fun though I bet my kids remember zero about it.

Edited by marbel

We have friends that go to a private school and they mentioned how 4th grade was when they do a big unit on our state.  And of course I remember learning about my state in school when I was in elementary school.

I didn't grow up in this state so sadly I don't know a lot about it.  It's not like I can just randomly interject fun facts about it here and there.  So I'd like to do some intentional learning about our state this year.

We could Google things, but I wondered if anyone had any suggestions.  Might it also be good to incorporate some social studies type things?  Government lessons?  Again, SADLY, I don't really remember/know a ton about government... it's not really my thing!  So I feel like I'd want some actual curriculum.  

Go to your local library. Find the children's section that deals with your state. Start checking out books. :-)

Do you live near your state capitol? Take a field trip. Find out who your state legislators are and have your dc write letters to them. They'll send you a whole bunch of stuff (because school children do this all the time and they are used to doing it). What about your city's government? City? County? Go visit city hall or whatever your county government calls itself. Talk to local councilmembers.

• Like 1

We did an entire year of state history when my kids were in 4th and 2nd grades. I googled "Florida 4th grade state history," "Florida 4th grade social studies," and similar searches, and found enough material to cover more than a year of study.

Local history museums are another good place to start. Visit their bookstore, and look for local publishers. Pineapple Press has many historical fiction books for kids that we added. We studied Native Americans, explorers, Colonial period, statehood, railroads, development, government, climate, ecosystems, tourism, and famous Floridians. We also went on a lot of field trips and visited several re-enactments. We had a blast.

Abeka has My State Notebooks that spur the students to research and record what they learn about their state. They're only about $10 and my 2 DDs have both really liked doing them. We have our state book from the American the Beautiful series and it contains most/all the info they need to fill it out.

• Like 1

Four years ago we tried to do a state lapbook I bought on CurrClick (I think). It was nice but my kids are not into lapbooking so it bombed for us.  The State notebooks worked better. I think ours were the simpler version called My State History Funbook.  I added some outside reading and such to improve the quality and grade level of it, but my kids did like to pick pictures and paste them in the books (they were 3rd and 4th).  I got it used for cheap. I think you could easily make one of these yourself if you had time. Much of it was really simple.

https://www.statehistory.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=96_97&products_id=180&zenid=o6drns6v0sepifj49iob6eb6f1

Edited by cintinative

Pam Barnhill is going through each state and adding 8 resources that she found and liked (you tube videos, books, interesting people, activities, etc.).  This won't give you the whole history BUT it can give you some ideas to start with.  In Texas, going to the state education website, the state standards tell you what is covered in Texas History in 4th grade. (I probably need to do this soon).  If your state has something similar, it can give you a good idea of key people and events so that you can more easily google and know what resources to get from the library.   The idea of the historical society mentioned above is another good place to start.   It might also be fun (depending on the size of your state) to try some of the local history museums and see what you learn from visiting them. 

Thanks for reminding me that I should probably do some of this! 

Missy 

• Like 1

Studies Weekly is a weekly newspaper kind of like a weekly reader, but for Social Studies.  Most of the states have a fourth grade Studies Weekly that is a state study.  They are very inexpensive - about $20 per year including shipping, shipped all at once - and could be great to cover state history or be something to guide a study that you could add to. 

Just put in your state and fourth grade on their web site.  There are extensive samples.

• Like 1

Pam Barnhill is going through each state and adding 8 resources that she found and liked (you tube videos, books, interesting people, activities, etc.).  This won't give you the whole history BUT it can give you some ideas to start with.  In Texas, going to the state education website, the state standards tell you what is covered in Texas History in 4th grade. (I probably need to do this soon).  If your state has something similar, it can give you a good idea of key people and events so that you can more easily google and know what resources to get from the library.   The idea of the historical society mentioned above is another good place to start.   It might also be fun (depending on the size of your state) to try some of the local history museums and see what you learn from visiting them. 

Thanks for reminding me that I should probably do some of this! 

Missy 

Here you go (of course, homeschoolers are not *required* cover this stuff at any specific time): :001_smile:

Thank you for this. I think this may be just what I've been looking for. Is there a reasonable amount of state history covered, do you happen to know?

Abeka has My State Notebooks that spur the students to research and record what they learn about their state. They're only about $10 and my 2 DDs have both really liked doing them. We have our state book from the American the Beautiful series and it contains most/all the info they need to fill it out.

Thank you for this. I think this may be just what I've been looking for. Is there a reasonable amount of state history covered, do you happen to know?

The My State Notebook is a generic one you can use for any state. It has anywhere from 1 to 4 pages each on political maps, physical maps, symbols, history, climate and geography, industry, cities, counties, wildlife, and travel. So history is just 1 part of the book. The notebook does assume the student will look all this information up, it does not provide the info.

The source we use to provide the info is Indiana by Ann Heinrichs. This series has a separate book for each state. It includes significantly more history info than the notebook requires.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We just covered Florida state history last year and our state and universities had some material. We started with Native Americans and every state would have that fascinating beginning. Then moved onto explorers, settlers, early industries, territory and statehood, state symbols, current industries, major figures, black history and geography. Geography was actually an early unit and we made salt dough maps. We also covered the Everglades and Florida aquifer bc those are integral to our state. We finished up with Cape Canaveral and the space program out of Florida. It was a great year!

Your library should have a section of books, but ask the children's or reference librarian for any extra resources and scour for hands-on field trips.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Seconding to ask at your library. They'll know what supplemental books all the schoolkids end up reading because they'll have a million extra copies of them. And they may have interesting things on the nonfiction shelf as well. Like, we found a self-published book about the dinosaurs of our (not-a) state and another about the geology and still another that was a history of a park here. Stuff you wouldn't know to look for but which were good resources.

We used this. Also, we are from California and used a very good California history book as a spine. https://www.amazon.com/His-California-Story-Christian-Perspective/dp/0979450608

I also read aloud from a book called "Pioneer California" which gave a lot more detailed accounts of major people and events in California. And then we read a handful of novels set in California. It was a very nice unit.

I have very fond memories of my state history notebook in fourth grade, and I remember bringing in my grandmothers fourth grade state history notebook as a show and tell!

This year, we are doing a unit on state history alongside our modern history cycle. My fifth grader will do a notebook, and my second grader will do a lapbook. We will do a salt dough map and build a mission alongside some other activities. I picked up a few resources used, and we are using this book as our spine. https://www.amazon.com/California-History-Kids-Moviemakers-Activities/dp/1569765324/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1470077070&sr=8-4&keywords=California+history

I am excited to learn more about it since we recently moved here!