Menu

What are you saving for right now?

mommyoffive

I am currently saving for 2 trips: Washington DC in September and Charleston SC in April. 

I also have various sinking funds at our bank: Christmas, property taxes, DS college/long term savings, our long term savings, car/house repairs. "fun" adult stuff. :-)

I just paid THREE college tuition bills, have a family travel-wedding coming up, and just totaled my car. We are currently hemorrhaging money.

Too many things to bother typing.

I don't need to save for state and federal tax, the withholdings are always enough to cover.

The amount of statistical data gathered here is astounding. I'm waiting for the full report of Hive demographics.

But it would be a very skewed sample of the Hive :lol:

So many things. We currently save roughly 30% of our income but it's split inany directions.

15% goes to retirement and the rest is split between ...

-a down payment on the next house

- 10 year anniversary trip which is in 2 years

-new flooring all throughout the house because of water damage(we used the insurance money to get new windows because there was no mold issues just warping issues with the floors)

- miscellaneous expenses

While our kids are in college (and potentially med school), our savings are suspended.  

I manage our budget and make it work, so I might save from one month to assist bills I know will come in another, but in general, we're operating on income in = expenditures out.  What we don't need for bills is our travel money.  We thought about suspending travel, but I can't.  So far it's worked out ok.  (We can cover emergencies of a couple grand without a major hassle if needed, so we're not on a tightrope.)

College and retirement.

Once we get a little more stabilized after some recent changes I'd like to start saving for a kitchen remodel and then bathroom remodels but I'm pretty sure I'll be 109 before we can do that.

College costs.

I start work Aug. 15th.  Much of my check will go into savings for said upcoming college expenses.

PS:  I didn't put retirement because we have that automatically taken out and just don't think about it, but we do have retirement savings continuing, at the max rate for matching, plus some extra, each month.

Edited by DawnM

We do save for retirement and I set aside money each morning month from and tax returns etc to cover classes and lessons for the boys and our annual vacation. Which we are going on in three weeks. Yay.

Not that a family vacation that involves camping is really much for my aforementioned goal of saving my sanity. Because hello, have you been in a minivan with my dad for 6 hours?!

• Like 1

Nothing big at the moment as we have several big expenses at the moment.  HVAC guy is coming tomorrow to give us a quote on new furnace and air conditioning unit.  We have a good chunk saved for this but I have no idea if it's enough, just right or if we'll have extra.  Otherwise everything else in the regular income is going to pay off the van by the end of the year.  Any side income that DH or myself earns will get used for smaller "fun" projects (like replacing the screen on my ipad).  Wish list items are long but once the van is paid off we will have some wiggle room again.

Short Term: A new flat screen TV before the Olympics start next month. My son decided playing badminton in the house was a good idea and hit the shuttlecock into the front of our old one creating a beautiful rainbow of colors across the screen.

Long Term: A trip to Machu PIcchu with two other couples in two years before they shut it down to tourism. Bucket list item for me!

• Like 3

Not so much saving for it as spending for it. We are attending a family reunion next weekend north of San Diego. I need to get my van tuned up, New tires, oil change. My little ones need sleeping bags. We need road trip food. I need to make hotel reservations today. That kind of thing. I might also be throwing myself and my bffs(twins) a 40th birthday party in LA.

It feels good to be planning something fun, instead of something necessary.

• Like 1

To buy property and move to the Olympic peninsula in two years. This has been a long time dream, but with the current political climate in our area and the specifics of our family, it has gradually taken on more importance to make the dream of moving to the friendlier west side of our state into our top priority. After our last visit there a couple of months ago, we realized that the only time we are really without major stress and comfortable is when we are there, so all budgets were revised and extra earnings opportunities were sought as soon as we got back -- focus, focus, focus!

I only have one kid in college this year!  :hurray: Paid the last tuition bill for the other one in June when he graduated. Our daughter has two more years before getting her bachelors degree, so most of our money goes towards that. When she graduates, I'll start rebuilding the college savings for the youngest.

We've been saving for retirement for years. We are currently on hold with our contributions while paying for college.

Other than that, I have been secretly squirreling away little bits of money to celebrate my dh's 50th birthday in February. I will plan a trip (probably to Vegas since my in-laws live close to there and would be able to take our youngest for a few days) and then give him a nice bit of cash to spend on something frivolous. If we go to Vegas, I will take him to the Tom Ford store and tell him he has enough for more than just one tie. :D

Still funding the retirement accounts and also refilling the health care fund. DH had surgery and has maxed out his out of pocket expenses this year. So time to refill that fund.  I had saved enough for a trip I'm taking with my sister this fall but dipped into that account to cover some home renovations this summer. So I'm refilling that before the trip. 

A few homeschool items that I'd like this coming year that are more luxury than necessity. (About $300 worth)

About $150 worth of photography equipment

An extra trip to see my mother.  I have to wait to see her every other year, but I have a new teeny tiny part time job which might allow me to see her once a year.

College.  The way I'm saving for college is by not closing in a screened in porch to make it a room and not getting a new floor in the living room, etc.  Instead of doing things to update the house, we'll just let it stay the same until after the kids get full time jobs after college.  Once they get jobs and take over whatever is left of the college bills, then we can start to update the house a bit.

We are just getting our savings back to my minimum required balance after new siding, windows, porch, and roof last fall.  Probably shouldn't have dug so deep into the savings, but the outside of our house looks amazing.  This fall will be a new bathroom in the basement, gutting our main bathroom, and decorating the kids' bedrooms; I think I have enough saved for that already.  Fall 2017 will be patio and landscaping.  After that we have dreams of a new garage, converting our existing garage to living space, and kitchen remodel.  Those probably won't happen with college sneaking up on us.

We are just starting to save for college which I am so excited about.  Otherwise, longer-term savings include retirement at 15% of income (non-negotiable) and replacement vehicle.  Short-term savings include private school tuition for three kids, Christmas, vacations (small budget), etc. 

Hoping to add additional savings for more vacation and bigger home improvement projects, but dh will have to bring in more income for that to happen.

Edited by 2squared

Well I was hoping to set aside enough money to apply for my Irish passport but I always end up needing the money for more pressing things. I'm worried I will miss my chance like if the rules change.

We're supposed to be saving for a family trip to Disney World and/or The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but we always end up needing it for other things and we're not even sure when it would be ideal to go given the kids' ages and lack of babysitting options for dd.

Some other things I would like to see money saved go toward:

a Mac for myself

second vehicle

new fridge and/or oven/range. The burners don't work half the time, the fridge temp. is wacky. Not sure if getting a dishwasher installed here is realistic so I'm focusing on the others.