Menu

Best audio books

I am looking for audio books for ds12 and dd9 for us to listen together.  My plan is this.  Due to me having to drive two days a week for about 40 minutes to an hour, I have decided to use audio books to save me some homeschool time.  I plan on getting the book and reading where we left off in the audiobook on the days I'm not driving.  It will help my sanity and help me accomplish a goal of mine to read aloud more to these two.  

So, give me your best audio books that you love.  I already have the Hobbit and the Green Ember on my list.  Any others?  Not too violent or my daughter will be chiming in with "THAT'S AWFUL!!! What is wrong with those people!!!" and make us lose the flow of the book.

Also, is a subscription to audible.com worth it?  I am planning on using the library system as much as I can, but there are a lot of homeschoolers around here and a library that has long waiting times for the more popular books.

Audible is totally worth it, IMo.

So many good audio books.

I'd Make your lists of what read alouds you want to do this year, & then check the audible reviews for the versions& check what your library has from your list.

Ones we've really loved-

Narnia series, Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, Secret Garden, Harry Potter series, Story of the World (Jim Weiss versions), The Penderwicks, Little House series, Spiderwick chronicles, anything by Kate Dicamillo,Mr Lemoncello's Library, um, so many more- those are just ones we have the CDs for. I honestly can't remember what's in our audible account- the kids listen without me these days.

9 &12 can be kind of a gap for read aloud preferences, but you might just need to pick & alternate between one "for" each kid off their yearly lists.

Have fun!

• Like 3

Audible is totally worth it!

We had to go without it for a couple of years because our budget has been really tight, but we just got it again last month and I love it so much. The best part is that you get to keep all your audiobooks (even if you cancel your subscription for awhile, like we had to), so over time you build up a huge library of choices to pick from. We use audiobooks from the library a ton, too, but I love having Audible. 

Faves here:

Harry Potter (or anything else read by Jim Dale)

Unabridged Narnia (not the dramatized ones, though those are okay)

LOTR by Rob Inglis

Treasure Island read by Alfred Molina

The Tale of Despereaux

Winnie the Pooh

D'Auliare's Greek Myths

The Secret Garden narrated by Flo Gibson

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz read by Anne Hathaway

We love Audible!

• Like 3

Winnie The Pooh (the dramatized version with Stephen Fry) so rich and so great!

LOTR

A series of unfortunate events

Bud, Not Buddy (my 5 and 7 year old are totally different in their preferences and they both loved this one. And I did too!)

Penderwicks (seriously, do it)

I don't have audible, but I would if my library system didn't have so many audiobooks to choose from. Audiobooks are a wonderful resource

• Like 1

We adored The Graveyard Book.  It has a full cast, and is outstanding.  Though if ghosts freak your kids out, it may not be for them.  (It's Neil Gaiman, take that as you will).  We also liked The Magician's Elephant, though you must get used to the narrator's voice.

The BBC does many radio dramatizations.  You would probably be happy with any of them.

We are using Audible for our read alouds.  I always fall asleep reading aloud to the boys.  lol  I pick the titles in the most part but let the boys choose the speaker.  I always get unabridged versions as my reason for quality read alouds is the richness of language in some literature.

So  far for 3 boys, 14,11 and 8, we have "read" Treasure Island and Tom Sawyer.  In the list that the boys are listening to on our morning walks (they each have an old phone to use) are The Three Musketeers, Swiss Family Robinson, BFG and Around the World in 80 Days.  On a friend's recommendation we will be doing Animal Farm next.  Some of these books that would be about impossible for me to read aloud due to the complexity of the language and I just don't have that amount of talent while falling asleep on the lounge.  lol

Our library service is good but our old mobile phones are not capable of handling the app that we would have to use.  For now I am sticking with Audible.

Best wishes

Jen in Oz

Edited by Jungle Mama

Current favs of my 10 year old dd:

Lemonade War and sequels

Whizz Pop chocolate shop

Lemoncello's library (also the Island of Dr Libris)

Secret Garden

Indian in the Cupboard

101 Dalmatians

Whole Nother Story

Circus Mirandus

Swallows and Amazons

A Little Princess

The Penderwicks

I just try to choose a mix of fun books and classics.

Edit: Because I can't type on my phone apparently.

Edited by lexi

I love Audible, especially for the car because I don't have to juggle cds.

Off the top of my head I would suggest:

Fortunately, The Milk

Small Steps: The Year I Got Polio

Cheaper By the Dozen

Starry River of the Sky

Tuesdays at the Castle

Audible has a sale about once or twice per year on everything. That's when I buy children's books since so many tend to be less than a credit. I have an audible lite subscription I think. I get no credits and I pay $10 per year for access to sales including the daily deal.

Faves here:

Harry Potter (or anything else read by Jim Dale)

Unabridged Narnia (not the dramatized ones, though those are okay)

LOTR by Rob Inglis

Treasure Island read by Alfred Molina

The Tale of Despereaux

Winnie the Pooh

D'Auliare's Greek Myths

The Secret Garden narrated by Flo Gibson

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz read by Anne Hathaway

We love Audible!

I love the Wiz Of Oz read by Brooke Shields. She did a great job with the various voices!

• Like 1

The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (read by Christopher Cazanove)

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (read by James Frain)

Sherlock Holmes series (read by David Timson)

Sword in the Stone (read by Neville Jason)

A Wrinkle in Time (read by the author)

Good fun, but exceptionally literary:

Cosmic (read by Kirby Heyborne)

Matilda (read by Kate Winslet)

The Witches (read by Miranda Richardson)

We are currently listening to my all time favorite audio book, The BFG, and the narration is amazing! I can get the narrator's name if you are interested...it's so captivating! We also loved Winnie the Pooh, Indian in the Cupboard, Where the Red Fern Grows, The lightning Thief, Paddongton, Peter Pan, and oh so many more!