Menu

Help Me Find a Literature Program

DS is heading into 7th grade this fall (some combo of 6th/7th grade). He reads ALL THE TIME. He reads fiction and non-fiction equally (loves space and history). He will read classics if I had it to him and tell him to read it or if it goes along with his history program (Notgrass). He reads quickly but not deeply and will sometimes overlook details on the first read. He certainly isn't able to discuss the book other than the plot-line.

What I am looking for is a literature program that will give him exposure to other types of literature. I want him to do more with poetry and short stories and even plays. I am looking for something that will guide me through early analysis and "thinking deeper" kinds of ideas.

I don't want it to include grammar or writing/composition. I'm strictly looking for literature.

We've tried Total Language Plus (huge bust) and Progeny Press guides (slightly better but not a winner). 

Is it too early to do what I'm looking for?

I wanted something similar for 7th grade too and ended up buying Mosdos Press Jade level. It's not cheap, but I think it's going to work well for us. We did a brief test of the first few stories earlier this summer, and DD liked it. There are enough activities in the student book that we can pick the ones that work best for us. The teacher's guide gives a lot of supplementary support, and it might feel overwhelming at first. 

I'm going to pair this with Figuratively Speaking. I had originally planned to build out my own lit analysis program this year, but I really liked many of the selections included with this level in particular.

http://www.mosdospress.com/7th_grade_jade.php

• Like 2

we have enjoyed Scott Foresman's books.  They are older texts that can be bought used.  The teacher editions have the answers to the discussion questions and the topic to be discussed (foreshadowing, imagery, satire, etc).  We have read plays, poetry, short stories that I would otherwise not have included.  It has been very positive for us

• Like 1

BJU Literature 7 Explorations in Literature 4th edition might fit your needs.

It definitely covers literary terms, encourages critical/deep thinking, and includes a wide variety of genres.  I'm pretty sure it covers poetry, short stories and plays.  I know the lower levels include those.  I think it does include writing, but you could omit that.

Here's a description from the BJU website:

Teach your child to analyze literature in light of God's Word, and give them an enjoyment of literature that they will take with them beyond the schoolroom. Explorations in Literature offers a diverse compilation of stories, poems, and essays from a variety of authors and genres grouped by theme to develop critical thinking skills. Following each literature piece, Thinking Zones teach literary terms and foster critical thinking through specific questions that require more than mere recall. Students must interpret, analyze, and evaluate what they have read.

Probably the main reason I use public school basal textbooks is for the ease of planning and coordinate various genres around central themes and lessons. My elementary choice, McGraw Hill Treasures, has weekly themes utilizing the same vocabulary, comprehension,  and literary skills using 5 pieces of literature that span read aloud, poetry, drama, web sites and print media, as well as traditional fiction and non-fiction pieces.  Holt literature, which I use for middle school, does the same with a multi-week unit structure. Saves me from lots of planning and guarantees exposure for the kids. I supplement with other read alouds, independent reading as wells as full-length novel studies to improve stamina and additional exposure.

Not sure if you'd consider an online class, but my rising 6th grader will be doing Center for Lit's JH class and the WTMA's Socratic Discussion class to learn/practice these skills. I want to keep lit separate from writing/grammar also.

The Center for Lit also publishes lit guides and Teaching the Classics (teacher training), if you want to use their approach without the online class. 

Lightning Literature sounds like it may fit the bill!

My 8th grader is using some Bravewriter Boomerang lit issues, some books from LL 7 and LL 8..... I'm throwing in Figuratively Speaking since we want to finish the book. I let dd pick her selections this year...... Anytime I over plan Literature, it bombs. We will take it one month at a time! Our ambitious plan is below!

Stories and Poems for Extremely Intelligent Children of All Ages

The Hobbit

Treasure Island

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Anne of Green Gables

The Yearling

Helen Keller

A Christmas Carol

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

Wonder

A book a month with short stories & poetry tea time in between.... A couple Shakespeare plays too! Current Event magazines added in......this should keep her busy!

We'll continue our Read Alouds......