Menu

Update #2: What's wrong with my washing machine?

Slache

Our washing machine stops and when we open it to see what's happening it smells like sewage. I assume that the pipes are backing up into the washing machine and its actual sewage. Please tell me I'm wrong. The maintenance man has looked at it and says there's nothing wrong with it. It only happens every few loads.

Update in post 10, 15. :willy_nilly:

Edited by Slache

You haven't run hive approved cleaning products through it!

I kid :D

I'm sorry you're struggling with nasty sewage smell and all I could guess is something not venting properly in the pipe or waxy buildup. Does it smell more like human waste or sulphurous?

You haven't run hive approved cleaning products through it!

I kid :D

I'm sorry you're struggling with nasty sewage smell and all I could guess is something not venting properly in the pipe or waxy buildup. Does it smell more like human waste or sulphurous?

Human waste.  

Have you cleaned your septic screen? I just found out how to clean my septic screen last week. Septic guy said " it could back up usually thru laundry pipe if you don't spray them off annually."

We live in an apartment and I don't know what this is. We don't have a septic tank. I assume that's irrelevant?

Thanks guys.

If you live in an apartment, and the machine has been checked out, you need to call your landlord. Sounds like it is the pipes, not your machine. It is just that the washing machine dumps more water, faster, than say the toilet or sink. 

• Like 2

I'm far, far from an expert so take this FWIW -- I seem to recall in researching various plumbing issues that some pipes have some sort of check valve that's supposed to prevent odors from wafting back up. Those check valves can go bad or malfunction. And that's the extent of my knowledge.

• Like 2

If it's a front loader, it probably has a filter. If we don't clean our filter, it starts smelling like sewage. It's really gross. It could be around the seal too, I think.

Think of the sludge that builds up in a bathroom sink drain--hair, slime, nastiness. That's what your filter gets like if you don't clean it often enough.

• Like 2

That smell wouldn't be improperly ventilated pipes - I'd look into another drain backing up into the sewer pipe like a toilet. A blockage down the line would back up or vent into the nearest appliance to the end of the line, I'd think.

Agree with Katie.

In the meantime I would run a load or two of strong bleach water through your machine. You should also be absolutely sure to wash your hands with soap and water every time you move wet laundry to the dryer because of e coli.

Any chance you can move in the future?

Agree with Katie.

In the meantime I would run a load or two of strong bleach water through your machine. You should also be absolutely sure to wash your hands with soap and water every time you move wet laundry to the dryer because of e coli.

Any chance you can move in the future?

We moved in a month ago and have no money.

Call a plumber to check it out. deal with trying to get reimbursed if plumber finds something

That could be $100s and we literally don't have it. We're running the washing machine trying to cause it so he can run back and see that we're telling the truth.

Any thoughts on the draino? I know it's terrible for the pipes but I'm really only thinking about myself right now.

a couple of questions.

1. Did the machine come with the rental or is the machine yours that you moved with you?

2. Did they check the pipes in the bathroom since you said the smell was coming from there now too?

3. Are you in a house or an apartment? I think I missed that? In apartments sometimes plumbing smell can be coming for other apartments.

• Like 1

a couple of questions.

1. Did the machine come with the rental or is the machine yours that you moved with you?

2. Did they check the pipes in the bathroom since you said the smell was coming from there now too?

3. Are you in a house or an apartment? I think I missed that? In apartments sometimes plumbing smell can be coming for other apartments.

1. It's the apartment's.

2. No.

3. Apartment. Where would the smell be coming from? Our drains?

1. It's the apartment's.

2. No.

3. Apartment. Where would the smell be coming from? Our drains?

They need to fully investigate the new issue.

I'm not an apartment plumbing expert but the system generally connects units. I once lived in an apartment where an overflow from the bathroom upstairs would back into my bathroom. Another place any bathroom odors from the other unit would waft into my bathroom from the pipes. Lovely.

If it's their washer, they shouldn't be relying on you to fix the washer. It's stopping and there's a smell. They need to get on it. You can all the local renters association to see what your rights are in your area if they don't get a move on it.

• Like 3

I would purchase Drano - in a jell form and pour it down the drains in the house.  Follow the instructions and wait the appropriate amount of time and do it another few times.  Then I'd find something that you can put down toilets to unclog drains.

I'd give it a little time between applications to make sure it wasn't coming back up, but Drano has worked wonders for us.  It's pretty cheap, too.

I wish you the best, it sounds nasty. Too bad your landlord is clueless.

• Like 1

Our washer drains into a pipe through a little drain slot in the wall--it's very accessible and visible. I can totally imagine that smelling for some reason (our bathroom sink drain smells at the drop of a hat). If you can get to the drain, you might pour some bleach into it and let is sit for a while. That's what we do with our sink.

I would have sworn our sink had something backing up into it, and it was just normal gunk build-up. We have to bleach it monthly (at least in the summer). We've had no other sink do that before, and it's a brand new sink and brand new plumbing (and our plumbers are truly excellent).

Honestly, about half of our home ownership tasks have been tracking down disgusting smells, and half the time they are not what you'd think they'd be.

• Like 1

A splash of bleach down sink drains works for us to eliminate stinky drains, but that's just stinky drain/trap sludge/bacteria .. . 

In your situation, I'd send strong bleach solution (50/50 bleach and water) down all accessible drains. A cup or two in sinks, a quart in showers/tubs . ..  Flush them with plenty of water (say 30 seconds) FIRST, then pour down the bleach solution, then let it sit for at least 20 minutes (I usually leave mine for at least an hour or two). Personally, I always splash a little clear water down the sink/shower drains right away (just a cup or so) to minimize the chance of harming finishes, but I've never seen damages from the bleach. 

I'd also do a HOT water load on the longest, hottest cycle with LOTS of bleach (and maybe one or two clean but old "dog towels" just for more agitation). Like a quart or more bleach (diluted in a gallon or two of water and added right to the drum, along with however much bleach fits in your bleach dispenser). If it's a top loader, you can also add more bleach as the cycle progresses through it's various rinse cycles. After doing the bleach load, I'd do a similar load with white vinegar. 

Anyway, after you hammer all the drains with plenty of bleach, if that doesn't fix your problem, I'd probably try the Drano route since your landlord hasn't been responsive. 

If it were MY house, I wouldn't do the drano (we have septic, and I own the pipes, lol), but instead I'd call a plumber to figure it out . . . I'm sorry your landlord is being such a putz.

If you don't already have "renter's insurance", I'd get it NOW (it's cheap!) to insure your possessions in case of a sewage back up!! 

• Like 2

A splash of bleach down sink drains works for us to eliminate stinky drains, but that's just stinky drain/trap sludge/bacteria .. .

In your situation, I'd send strong bleach solution (50/50 bleach and water) down all accessible drains. A cup or two in sinks, a quart in showers/tubs . .. Flush them with plenty of water (say 30 seconds) FIRST, then pour down the bleach solution, then let it sit for at least 20 minutes (I usually leave mine for at least an hour or two). Personally, I always splash a little clear water down the sink/shower drains right away (just a cup or so) to minimize the chance of harming finishes, but I've never seen damages from the bleach.

I'd also do a HOT water load on the longest, hottest cycle with LOTS of bleach (and maybe one or two clean but old "dog towels" just for more agitation). Like a quart or more bleach (diluted in a gallon or two of water and added right to the drum, along with however much bleach fits in your bleach dispenser). If it's a top loader, you can also add more bleach as the cycle progresses through it's various rinse cycles. After doing the bleach load, I'd do a similar load with white vinegar.

Anyway, after you hammer all the drains with plenty of bleach, if that doesn't fix your problem, I'd probably try the Drano route since your landlord hasn't been responsive.

If it were MY house, I wouldn't do the drano (we have septic, and I own the pipes, lol), but instead I'd call a plumber to figure it out . . . I'm sorry your landlord is being such a putz.

If you don't already have "renter's insurance", I'd get it NOW (it's cheap!) to insure your possessions in case of a sewage back up!!

If you do this, use cold or warm water. Hot water will accelerate the breakdown of the bleach, rendering it useless quicker.

I'd do cold water bleach soak cycle, then a hot water rinse to maximize the effectiveness of the bleach.

• Like 2