Menu

Tier 3 Reading Intervention -- is Barton an option?

Jumping to the end here and then reading more of what you wrote.  If the SLP and psych both did screenings, what tools did they use?  SCAN3?  TAPS?  I get my labels mixed up, lol.  They may have run different ones.  Look at the breakdowns and decide for yourself.  Ask for copies of the score pages for your files.  The SCAN3 kicks out an ear advantage score, which tells you left ear or right ear advantage, which will be useful no matter whether it pushes over to APD or not.  On the TAPS, he should have failed at least the 2nd half with his dyslexia.  That would be odd for him not to.  My ds did, at least, and that was my assumption why.

Around here our university will run an audiology eval (basic) and the SCAN3 for $35.  At that price it's an easy thing to recommend, kwim?  But privately it's 10X that.  If you've already passed two good APD screening tools properly administered, I would think that's good enough.  Does he have difficulty hearing in noisy environments?  APD actually shows up in life.  It's not like this mysterious oh we had no symptoms kind of thing.  

Jumping to the end here and then reading more of what you wrote.  If the SLP and psych both did screenings, what tools did they use?  SCAN3?  TAPS?  I get my labels mixed up, lol.  They may have run different ones.  Look at the breakdowns and decide for yourself.  Ask for copies of the score pages for your files.  The SCAN3 kicks out an ear advantage score, which tells you left ear or right ear advantage, which will be useful no matter whether it pushes over to APD or not.  On the TAPS, he should have failed at least the 2nd half with his dyslexia.  That would be odd for him not to.  My ds did, at least, and that was my assumption why.

Around here our university will run an audiology eval (basic) and the SCAN3 for $35.  At that price it's an easy thing to recommend, kwim?  But privately it's 10X that.  If you've already passed two good APD screening tools properly administered, I would think that's good enough.  Does he have difficulty hearing in noisy environments?  APD actually shows up in life.  It's not like this mysterious oh we had no symptoms kind of thing.  

The SLP only did a basic Auditory Assessment, so no, we haven't had those thorough tests at all. 

He tunes out in noisy environments, and tends to watch your face when you're talking, to help understand what's going on. He has difficulty following multi-step instructions. He has difficulty with recall. So much of what we see could be APD, or could be sensory sensitivity (noises and crowds completely overwhelm him, so he just retreats into himself/his own world, and has since he was an infant), or could be processing speed issues in general, or could be the auditory side of the dyslexia, or could be his language disorders in general, or could be......a million things. 

The only thing we've seen that would really indicate APD specifically is the fact you really need to be looking at him/him looking at you to be sure he's understanding. Example: in class, his history teacher reported that sometimes she would give instructions on what to do, and he'd be looking right at her, really paying attention, but she could tell he didn't get it. So she'd go to him and explain, and sometimes it would take her demonstrating the steps, and then he'd get it and be able to do whatever it was. But whether that's APD, or just processing speed, or something else....I don't know. 

I'm not saying it's not, and I'm not arguing against it, we just trusted the SLP when she said she really didn't see it, and we were so focused on all the other stuff, it just has been set aside. 

The "kuh-tuh-puh" thing is inadequate to evaluate motor planning problems of speech.  The fact that those things are not automatic now and that he has to think about them or be prompted is the point.  I think you could call and talk with some PROMPT therapists and get a 2nd opinion for free.  Email them what you wrote here and see what they write back.  Ask them if they do the VMPAC or what test they use for motor planning.  The VMPAC is an hour of nothing but oral motor planning, and it's standardized.  Way more thorough that what your current SLP has done.

Your CELF scores are have gone up and are in the average range.  

What you're describing on the heat thing is not a speech issue.  That's SPD and gets eval'd by an OT.

It sounds like you've found a lot of ways to work to his strengths!   :)

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

If he hasn't been to an audiologist, it's time.  You could have hearing loss.  I'm not meaning to be dramatic, but it's really time to get that explained.  Not every audiologist does APD testing.  Find a good place and get a regular appt with the SCAN3 in a booth.  When you hear that, that's what you're wanting to hear.  You at least need to eliminate both of those. That's what I did with my ds.  

Those CELF scores aren't bad, not now that they're average and IQ appropriate.  I just don't see that as an explanation.  ADHD and APD and processing speeds are all commonly co-morbid.  APD symptoms can be improved in some kids with the ADHD meds.  So you're CELF scores aren't explaining this.  If you think ADHD is explaining it, then you'd put him on meds.  But when you say he's having to lip read in noisy places where other people have no trouble comprehending, that pushes over to the APD thing.  That is THE big symptom for it.  Like elephant in the room, chalk it up.  

So time for audiology.  University or somebody who does it a lot privately, doesn't matter.  Prefer full booth set-up.  

Think layers here.  A layer of APD decreasing input on someone who has some motor planning and processing speed issues.  Kwim?  Layers.  Not one eval, one person to solve your problem, because you have layers.  But you can do this!  Just take some steps, gather more info.  Right now it's not obvious to you because you don't have enough info for the pieces to come together.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 2

I'm in the middle of doing a couple of things right now, but I've been reading over this the last half hour or so, and NO :)it's not overkill . all of this is important in trying to figure it all out. We are our kids best advocate.

Im going to respond to more a little later, but jus out of curiosity , and I'm sure will sound like a strange question.

How is his pain tolerance? Like his physical pain ?

Low? High? Average you think?

I know it sounds strange but there's a reason I ask. It's an involved and I will explain later . I'd be interested to know.

'See' y'all a little later :)

Hugs!  I know this can be a very frustrating and even scary/exhausting process, trying to find what works as you feel time passing you by.  BTDT.  Hang in there.   :)

To answer your questions:

1. As Lecka said, yes Barton is intense intervention.
  2. Yes, a layman with no training can use it:
    • It is clearly scripted out with DVDs and work pages to train a layman to use.
    • There is a lot of support on the website for tutors.
    • It does not expect a tutor to have ANY background knowledge in tutoring a child with dyslexia.
    • Susan Barton herself will respond if you run into trouble and need that extra level of help.
    • There are lots of additional materials you can use to support the Barton system.  One thing that has been great here are the Spelling Success card games based off of the Barton program.  They were created by an independent Barton tutor so you have to purchase them separately but they have been great for reinforcement and review and even catching gaps.
  3. Is it as good as they say it is?  That depends on the child, the tutor, underlying challenges and strengths of the student, consistency of the tutoring, and a whole host of other things.  It CAN be as good as they say.  It can be absolutely amazing.  It can also be a bad fit.  With a child with learning challenges it will be hard to know without trying out the program.  At least with Barton it is DESIGNED to be used with a dyslexic student so the odds are much better with Barton that it will be a good fit than a program designed with a neurotypical student in mind.
  4. When will you know if it is working?  Again, that depends.  The program starts with very basic building blocks of reading.  For some students they never really mastered these building blocks, basic building blocks that typically don't even need to be taught to most NT kids.  They just pick it up on their own.  Level 1 is so basic it may seem ridiculous to spend money on.  It is very short, too.  I was shocked and honestly felt a bit cheated when I opened that box.  However, Level 1 turned out to be HUGE for my DD.  She needed what Level 1 provided and I had no clue those pieces were missing in the first place.  With every single level she has made huge leaps forward.  It absolutely has been obvious that progress is being made.  For my DS?  He has different underlying strengths and weaknesses.  The program has not been as good a fit for him.
  5. Even if the program works, please don't expect reading to be easy or the lessons to go smoothly.  As my DD puts it, the lessons are hard because her brain doesn't want to do what it needs to do to learn to read because it is HARD to do those things.  It takes time for her brain to learn.  She gets that now.  We both do.  
  6. Can you just keep moving through the program and your child miraculously functions like an NT kid?  No.  You have to go at the pace your child can succeed and it will be different for different levels and lessons.  I made the mistake when we first started of just plowing through, thinking we could just keep going and it would all gel and suddenly she would be reading and spelling and writing just fine, no issues.  It was naive for me to think that and harmful to keep pushing. We ran into a wall with Level 4.  For most people it is the hardest level.  It certainly was for us.  I will spare you the boring details but basically DD had to repeat most of that level 3 times before she could successfully move forward.  It took 2 years (most people only need a few months to a year, not 2 years :) ).  Once we were on the other side of that level, though, she again was making huge leaps forward and what she learned with that level provided critical pieces to the puzzle for her.
  7. Some people think this program is about memorizing rules.  It isn't.  We both had to realize that what makes the program work best is doing the lessons until the application is automatic.  Memorizing the rules is useless.  It is the application that is critical.  If that means slowing down, repeating lessons, doing a lot of review, we do it.  And things have worked so much better since then.  Level 5 was a breeze compared to Level 4 (easier level anyway, but now we know when to stop and review, when to slow down, etc.).  
  8. DD doesn't LIKE the lessons but she looks forward to them now because she realized they really are helping her when NOTHING else did.  She loves that reading/writing/spelling have all improved tremendously since she started this program.

FWIW, my daughter was still barely able to decode Clifford books in 5th grade (and she had already repeated a grade so technically she should have been in 6th).  Reading was so painfully slow for her.  Spelling was a nightmare.  We started Barton in mid-6th grade.  By mid-7th, when she was roughly halfway through Barton Level 3, she got the book Divergent for Christmas (thanks to Lecka's recommendation since she had noticed that it seemed to have easier words to decode but was more advanced in story content).  DD, for the first time ever in her life, voluntarily sat reading a chapter book.  I get tears in my eyes when I remember that Christmas.  Mom nudged me and pointed quietly to a corner and there was DD, reading.  She read the whole book, cover to cover.  Did she still have decoding and fluency issues?  Yes.  But at that point she could decode enough words to make the book make sense and she wasn't wearing herself out trying.  I will be eternally grateful to Barton.  Has it been easy?  No.  Barton doesn't magically fix a dyslexic student and turn them into a neurotypical student.  But all the blood sweat and tears we have put into Barton have been absolutely worth it.  

Thank you... Just thank you. I needed to read all this today. It's been one of those "when is this ever going to just click" days, and again being reminded that's it's not going to "click" in the way both of us hope. But she will still learn. 

• Like 2

I'm in the middle of doing a couple of things right now, but I've been reading over this the last half hour or so, and NO :)it's not overkill . all of this is important in trying to figure it all out. We are our kids best advocate.

Im going to respond to more a little later, but jus out of curiosity , and I'm sure will sound like a strange question.

How is his pain tolerance? Like his physical pain ?

Low? High? Average you think?

I know it sounds strange but there's a reason I ask. It's an involved and I will explain later . I'd be interested to know.

'See' y'all a little later :)

Kat, that is a hard question to answer. I would guess it to be high, just because he doesn't seem to have small aches and pains, doesn't get hurt often, doesn't complain about the cat scratching him, things like that.

He reacts normally to big stuff like big scrapes, falls off the bike, slips and falls on big rocks, etc. and his "hurt" in those situations usually seems more...almost an indignation or anger or embarrassment at being hurt/having fallen down, vs complaining about actual pain. So even on that, I would say normal to high pain tolerance, not low.

I'm curious what you are thinking. If you are thinking sensory processing disorder, I could write a book on his quirks there. Sensory avoiding in some areas, sensory seeking in others. I am curious to hear what you are thinking...you have me intrigued. :)

• Like 1

I ( in the back of my mind) knew you'd answer that way.

The scrapes etc. They *see* their blood and wig out lol and you're right, more anger/embarrassment rather than actual pain.

Your lil guy is alot like mine, only our test scores are way lower than yours.

Me thinks ;) you may very well be dealing with a 2e kid.

Delayed, yet gifted.

It's missed alot.

Your describing the amazing things he can do, it jus fits the mold as described to me.

I STRONGLY encourage you to fund a university that has schools that do these things, testing , recommendation . even if one isn't close by, i would find the closest one and travel and get a hotel.

I know that's more money to do esp. With different appts at different times .

It would be well worth to and YES. Those people do exist as you mentioned earlier . we had the most complete and thourough work up there.

The university found what many many others had missed.

I know you jus went through evals.

Maybe just go there fir the audiologist first ( imho I think , if it were me, I would find an experienced audiologist and get evaked.

The university will have (esp if it's a teaching hospital ) the best and most renowned professional in that field. At least ours does.

I would pursue that. It helps . it gave me a much clearer insightful and helpful eval and overall work up and plan.

They found ALOT that many have missed for the last 10 and a half years.

I'd look for my audiologist at a university. A teaching hospital isealy. I know not always feasible.

I'll be back lil but later. Lots happening here lol.

Talk in a bit :)

Edited by Kat w
  • Like 1

Youve got the best advice, from these lovely ladues who know their stuff! I wanted to share my story because your DS sounds so very very much like my Miles. Miles was initially diagnosed as ID. And I was told he was not going to be able to progress any further. He had hit his celling. After a while I received the diagnosis of Profound Dyslexia. It affects reading writting and math. His level of dyslexia is the most profound seen at a major hospital specializing in neuro-cognitive disorder by me. He is in 6th grade at 12, and is barely reading 2 level books. But we fought and clawed our way to that level. We are on our second go around with level 3 with Barton. I expect to spend 2 years on level 4. Working memory and processing means it will be a slower road. On one testing they found Miles over all memory to be limited to 3 items no matter if letters, or words or story. Yet upon further testing found that he can increase to 8 items when repeated 10 times! That was a slap in the face. It basically meant he could retain but I had to commit to teaching the same thing over and over and over again. At that pace he will never reach NT levels. He just won't. MIles processing speeds are in the 2nd and 4rd percentile, same for working memory . Yet Barton works! It works when nothing else did. It made all the difference to get us where we are, but it's just going to be slow.

This year Miles will take classes in small engines, preparing for 7th grade when he can finally take automotive repair, and construction building.(they will allow him at such a young age only if I sit in and scribe for him and agree to read the text books.) He is so gifted in these areas that require hands on ability. It's a slow road but that's ok. He learning!!!

• Like 4

Lee, thank you so so much for sharing your story of Miles with me. Yes, that sounds very much like what we have been told and what we have experienced so far. We have those same super low working memory and processing speed scores and needing to repeat and repeat and repeat.....and just thank you for sharing with me. Thank you.

I think the thing I hate most about being "the worst case they've ever seen" AND being a homeschooler AND him having IQ in normal ranges....they have a tendency to think, although this particular person didn't voice it, that perhaps the homeschooling is contributing. That maybe if he had been in school, he wouldn't be this bad. And then it makes me start to doubt. I am very thankful I live in Texas, where homeschooling is so accepted, so protected, the laws so easy to follow, etc. I have written up a timeline of everything we've done since his dx with dyslexia (and it all follows the initial IEP type report we were given), just in case anyone comes asking, although I don't think they will. But I am very glad we're in Texas, where that will be enough if they do.

• Like 4

Reader,

That's smart mama.

We document everything and I keep all of his practice sheets so anyone could see at anytime , just how much work in fact we do.

For us, we did the PS early intervention , so the school knows he needs heavy heavy repetition.

Our wm and processing and other stuff if in that range like citrus.

For us, BC we had him in school believe it or not ( they knew we were homeschoolers at heart) agreed with and encencouraged the one on one time he'd get at home.

We are in Florida and homeschool is pretty accepted here too. I feel pretty fortunate fir that.

Reader, your in therapies. I wouldn't worry too much BC you have evals and plans and working them.

I do understand the angst thst can go along with that too.

I'm sure you're going to be fine :)

Your doing good mama :)

• Like 2

FWIW, Texas is a very large state. Where I live there are very few offerings for homeschoolers, many think it is illegal, it is not even remotely common, locals that have heard of it are usually not accepting of homeschooling at all and we have run into quite a few issues. Professionals here aren't great anyway but now we almost always get the knee jerk "it's because they are now homeschooling" reaction and not always subtly either.

If you ever move to another city in Texas do research first.

• Like 1

FWIW, Texas is a very large state. Where I live there are very few offerings for homeschoolers, many think it is illegal, it is not even remotely common, locals that have heard of it are usually not accepting of homeschooling at all and we have run into quite a few issues. Professionals here aren't great anyway but now we almost always get the knee jerk "it's because they are now homeschooling" reaction and not always subtly either.

If you ever move to another city in Texas do research first.

Oh, wow....I am sorry to hear that. We did get tremendous push back from the person 6 months ago who did our initial intake where we had this current eval; she flat out horrified stated we could not homeschool special needs. On the flip side, this one and the one who initially dx'ed him both were supportive. It did make me aware I need to keep better records now that we're back in the US though.

I guess I should say instead that I am glad to be in a large metro area where hs'ing is widely practiced and accepted, and the laws of the state back me up. I'm sorry your experience is different....I know how hard that is.

• Like 2

Yes onestep. Sorry to hear that. That has to be hard. As if it isn't hard enough .

Reader, you mentions something awhile back on this post about the test results and how it can affect us . I'm the same way. And I have always had to keep those filed away. Honestly, after I go over the initial report at home with hubby and we talk about it?

I put them away. I can't focus on it ( not saying you do, I do lol) because I feel like it puts my child in a box

And you mentioned high IQ scores but low numbers in other areas.

Our IQ scores are all over the place. They will and have always rwanged from around 73-87 . then tho, as his language development improved. W see them creep up in certain areas.

I had an evaluator ( pretty sure it was the PS one ) tell me, there's no way to accurately access him right now.

He knows more than we think but can't get it out. Can't communicate to us what he knows.

One test recently, firget which one came back in the high 90's.

How one can have such scattered numbers all over the place is the very nature and essence of these lil bright kiddos.

I feel that "dark cloud" following behind me sometimes too. I always think to myself tho. ...one sit down with my sin and they would be like...whoa. Ok . lol.

We've worked VERY HARD on language . immersion in fact.

When you have the wm and processing issues....it's tough. And for my boys esp the youngest one , he will jus lock up. And GOID luck gettin another thing out of him fir days sometimes.

The older one will lock up but work hard to recover. He wants so badly to do well.

The younger one? His give a darn is broken haha.

I think the evals are a good place to get a feel for where they are *right now* including what they will get out . ( communicate with the person administering the test).

But that doesn't mean that's where they'll be next year, next month, or even next week.

The work you and your little guy will and is so paying off.

The jump from your scores from last year tul now are impressive :) ya did good mama.

We've never had that big a jumo in just one year.

I use my evsls as a guide, not where is literally and definitely is right now BC you never know how much was not communicating their thoughts.

I use it to see where we need to work the most and plan accordingly .

Your son has much better expression #'s than mine and is probably a lil more accurate picture if where your are.

But remember , it's just a guide and with immersing them in that area you have breakthrough s.

I've seen for us, immersing them in those areas can work to " train it out of them". Name if the game here is tins of practice.

I wouldn't say I'm in the camp of " you can train out a disability" , but you sure can improve the numbers and the peramitiers in which our kids can operate.

Constantly stretching the mind and setting the bar high.

I have always been of the mindset even with my big kids.

Set the bar high. If and ir when they don't reach that high goal, at least you've reached much higher than you maybe even ever thought you could :)

Edited by Kat w
  • Like 1

One other thing to add that our pediatrician told us.

Try to, and it sounds like if I remember correctly from previous comments under this thread, to get your pediatrician "on your team".

Mine told me BC I had the same concerns you did about the state and lokin in our business lol.

My pediatrician , when I expressed my concerns, to have them call him I they have a problem .

We've had the same pediatrician for over 20 yrs and he knows all my kids and my family very well. He is supportive if homeschooling esp in our case.

He said, he would let them know what's up.

A pediatrician will hold alot of weight where the powers that be are concerned.

I'd talk to him about it. I'm sure he can pu your mind at ease a little more with that :)

• Like 2

I get it Readeright! In 4th grade our charter teacher told me it was my fault. I was not fostering independence. I was making him rely on me. I ended up enrolling Miles in public school for the

5th grade (this past year) because of it. I could not get help at the charter, they said he needed full day SPED. I ended up finding the local PS , would take him and not do full day SPED. The influence of the other kids was horrible. We are back to himeschooling. While the teachers and help were GREAT, it was not worth the depression. You are doing a wonderful job, you have documented progress, because that is what it is, progressess.you have evaluations and a doctor amazed at your progress. Sometimes I find I need tof intentionally look at the successes or else I could drown with out paying attention in the all the negative.

• Like 3

thanks, y'all. I appreciate it :) 

We did the Barton screening -- he had 0 errors on section A and 0 errors on section C, but 4 errors on section B. We'll work on that, and get started. Whew! 

I also called the local Lindamood Bell center; boy are they pricey!! They do offer amazing payment plans, so it's still an option. We'll see. The testing would be very minimal, since we would submit what he just had done (the cost of the testing). The drive and time commitment....crazy. We'll see. Since  he did test as ready for Barton, maybe we don't need both?? (I suspect more the Seeing Stars portion than the LiPS program, in case that matters). 

I have not found one single PROMPT therapist in the entire area; that can't be right, we're a huge metro area, so I will keep searching. 

I called and found a therapist covered by our insurance and in our current network of doctors who can treat his anxiety (and dx if it is social anxiety or more generalized or what). Waiting on a call back to set up that appointment. 

I think that covers all the urgent matters, and I feel like I have a plan now. I was surprised --very-- that he had 0 errors on part C. And that he had so many on part B. That goes with his speech/possible apraxia stuff I guess; he's not feeling when he's making a new syllable. But the screening said if C was passed, but not B, you can go ahead and start just work extra on that concept; I wrote and asked for ideas, as suggested. 

I will make sure we go regularly for our well child check ups; he's so rarely sick, we don't see the doctor very often. But that is a good point, she'd be a great resource if we should ever have anyone question us. I don't think we will, but....good to think about just in case. 

Thanks everyone! I feel a lot better today :) 

• Like 2

Wouldn't do Seeing Stars when you haven't done Barton yet.

That's AWESOME on finding someone to work on the anxiety, yes, yes, yes!  

You saw Barton's recs for things to work on those missing skills, yes?  Remember, you can also write/call her.  I would encourage you to do so.  You can literally just pick up the phone and call her.  She's in CA, so you could call at 5pm your time and maybe still get her.  

• Like 3

Thank you! Okay, we'll wait on the Seeing Stars, I really wasn't sure. 

I emailed asking for recs, I'll double check the website in case I missed it. I got a reply that she's out of the office until Aug 1, but maybe someone else will write. I explained everything in the email, though, so should get a good reply, I hope. 

• Like 2

Honestly, if you're going to pay money for anything, maybe pay money for a Barton tutor.  Barton or OG-certified or Wilson, doesn't matter.  I'm just saying if you're going to pay, pay for the reading tutor.  It's not that you can't do it, but if there are reasons it's not going to get done, then it's worth paying to get it done.

• Like 2

Wow the reader ! You've gotten alot accomplished :) you go girl lol

So happy for you in Barton.

Hmm on the prompt . if you don't mind my asking. What metro area?

OhE sent m a link for all in my area. I believe it was from a ationalized website. Maybe could try that?

So glad your feelin better :)

We all have those days , times, seasons. I sure have. The boards have pulled me out if some serious funks. :)

Love these ladies. Can't imagine life without them anymore :)

Honestly, if you're going to pay money for anything, maybe pay money for a Barton tutor. Barton or OG-certified or Wilson, doesn't matter. I'm just saying if you're going to pay, pay for the reading tutor. It's not that you can't do it, but if there are reasons it's not going to get done, then it's worth paying to get it done.

Oh, I will do it with him, no problem there. Our problem hasn't been not working, it's that what we were doing wasn't effective. We do some form of reading instruction daily, even on school breaks.

Susan Barton emailed me back the stuff to do to work on syllables, and the post tests, so I will administer those and then we'll order.

• Like 3

Wow the reader ! You've gotten alot accomplished :) you go girl lol

So happy for you in Barton.

Hmm on the prompt . if you don't mind my asking. What metro area?

OhE sent m a link for all in my area. I believe it was from a ationalized website. Maybe could try that?

So glad your feelin better :)

We all have those days , times, seasons. I sure have. The boards have pulled me out if some serious funks. :)

Love these ladies. Can't imagine life without them anymore :)

We're in the Houston area. I looked at the PROMPT Institute website, and searched w/in 100 miles for any level of PROMPT training, and it brought up zero.

• Like 1