Menu

Brainstorm with me about language arts methods for a 7th grader

My rising 7th grader has completed Rod and Staff 8th Grammar.  I always stop doing a formal grammar program after the 8th book though with all of my other children that has been after 8th grade.  So now I am trying to figure out what to do with her next year.  

This child will be continuing WWS 1 (starting in lesson 15 I think).  We will be doing the art of Poetry at a slow pace with her older sister.  

What other methods/routines should I think about?

Some kind of grammar review?

precis/summary work?

writing about literature?

analysis of writing somehow?

Analogies workbook - definitely going to continue this.

Thanks,

Kendall 

I don't know if you own a copy of TWTM, but the recommendations for 7th grade have the student begin vocabulary study.  Vocabulary from Classical Roots is what is recommended or you could always continue with R & S grammar.  SWB recommends that students continue the study of grammar through the end of high school.  Just some ideas:)

I definitely don't want to use the Rod and Staff 9 and 10 books but do want to do grammar.  Maybe with an older text (Mother Tongue) or maybe using ACT/PSAT practice materials or Rhetorical Grammar or  _______________

I have Vocabulary for the High School Student that I didn't use much with olders. Vocab workbooks always flop here but this child kind of likes workbooks so maybe I will pull that out.  Or just have her look up and record a new word daily that she encounters in the wild. 

Thanks for helping me think about this and for reminding me to pull out the WTM book!  I have he 1st edition so may check out the newer one from the library.

You could always do Fix-It Grammar for quick grammar review.  That's what we do here.  I also dictate a paragraph to DD for grammar and spelling.  We started dictation late in our school journey, sorry to say.  Now I realize what a great tool it is.

I choose a paragraph from a classic and read it to her three times.  I read it once slowly so she gets it all.  Then I read it grammatically. I feel this is the most important part, because I want her to understand that you need to read grammatically to really understand what you're reading -- not that you need to read fast.  So many kids think reading fast makes you a good reader which is completely false.

Lastly, I read it one last time to make sure she didn't miss any words.  Then I turn the passage over to her and she notes any misspellings, words, or grammar.  Misspelled words go on a list, and she is tested on them periodically.

For grammar review, I like the idea of having them diagram an occasional sentence for grammar review.  If they are doing a foreign language, that will also include grammar review.  That is all my oldest two will be doing after we cover a few more advanced grammar topics.  We will also be starting Henle Latin, so there is tons of grammar there.

Edited by Holly