Menu

Yay, Math Mammoth 7 first grads! Now what?

tj_610

Greetings! Shout out to, and question for, my fellow adventuresome math parents who were the pioneers to use Math Mammoth 7 after it's release last year.

My dd (with dw) completed MM5-7 (highly recommend it), and now the age-old question - what to use for algebra? We are not directionless, but need to pull the trigger on something.

DD is above-average but reluctant in math, enjoys it when the light bulb goes off and she gains confidence. She really is a wonderful, compliant kid, but math is the only battlefront (mild). DW is very algebra-competent but we think a video of someone else will help avoid the teen-mom tension, if you get me...

We've seen MM's recommendations here: http://www.mathmammoth.com/complete/algebra_1.php

We've ruled out some for our own reasons; ds used VideoText for algebra 1 and 2 and it's wonderful, but ds says "no way" LOL. We thought of making her use it due to inve$tment, but math is our only struggle with her so not going to fight. Anything for my baby! :-)

1) What are you other MM7 grads using for algebra this year? Why?

2) For us, we've narrowed it down to:

Derek Owens (ds has done very well with him in geometry and precalc)

Ask Dr. Callahan DVD's/tests/lessons with Jacobs text

DO: known and excellent, videos, self-made text based on Dolciani, grading, email support (which has been great with ds). DD interested and likes DO's style and voice. Costs more. Grading isn't cheap!

ADC: unknown but good reviews, videos, Jacobs text, no grading, email support. DD not so sure but I think she'd like Dr. C's daughter in the videos. Costs less.

My MM7 grad, DD11, will be using Foerster Algebra 1 with Math Without Borders syllabus & videos. She'll also be using DO for Physical Science. I was somewhat tempted by DO's Alg 1, but I already own Foerster so it would be much less money and I thought doing math & science the exact same way might be too much or get old.

Edited by fourisenough
  • Like 2

We tried to use some of MM7 but MM was still not the right fit for DD so we used other materials, including some AoPS (she was hugely successful with BA but not as happy with their pre-algebra so we are not staying with AoPS).

We are also using Foerster Algebra 1 with Math Without Borders syllabus & videos. I'm actually just planning to use the videos to supplement because she prefers me to teach. But, I got them anyway.

• Like 2

Did you decide anything yet?  I may be using MM 7 for my 8th grader next year because I just don't think she is ready for Algebra.  Did you find it had enough review?  That has been our problem with MM in the past.  She needs spiral but I really want to use MM for pre-algebra.

My wife says MM is more mastery approach than spiral, although we think the way it teaches concepts results in solid understanding for building on. DD has been doing Math Minutes 8 this summer both to review and to assess her readiness for algebra, and she's doing well.

I can't answer what's best for your DD. What we noticed with our DD and MM was that it seems liked every new topic wasn't clicking, but then, lo and behold, she had nailed it by the end of each topic.

Did you decide anything yet? I may be using MM 7 for my 8th grader next year because I just don't think she is ready for Algebra. Did you find it had enough review? That has been our problem with MM in the past. She needs spiral but I really want to use MM for pre-algebra.

I pair MM with the same level of Simple Solutions Common Core Math to add spiral review. Works like a charm!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

EQV:

May I ask what level MM your daughter finished, and what AoPS course she transitioned in to? I'm not sure if my DD would be ready for their Algebra after MM7 or would start with pre-algebra, due to AoPS rigor. Did you use AoPS pre-tests for placement, or "just knew"?

BTW I assume from your forum name that you're in NC like us. :-)

• 9 months later...

Just to follow-up. DD just finished algebra 1 with Derek Owens. We nudged her to try "honors" class, and she finished with a high A. She is a very good student, but not a natural math "whiz". We conclude that MM5-7 prepared her very well for algebra!

Thank you, thank you for posting a follow-up. Dd started MM7 recently and could theoretically finish by January and I've been pondering DO as a follow-on. I see a lot of parallels with your situation; dd is very compliant, perhaps not quite as math-fluent as your dd, and I am algebra competent, but tensions rise and it is much better if someone else teaches and I can "tutor" as needed.

So, what will she do next, geometry with DO?

Edited by SusanC
  • Like 1

So, what will she do next, geometry with DO?

Hi, SusanC! Do you mean after MM7? I would for sure have her take a full year of algebra between MM7 and geometry. Sorry if I misled you there. DD did MM5-7 in 5th through 7th grades, and just completed an 8th-grade year of DO algebra this week, having begun it in August 2016.

But AFTER DO algebra (or any other algebra year), DO geometry would be a good follow-up. DS did DO geometry, even though we are mixing things up a bit for DD next year and using this for geometry: https://myfunscience.com/teachers/bethany-barnosky/

• Like 1

Thanks.  Youngest DS wants something different than CLE for 7th grade, and I would like a one year pre-algebra, so I plan on getting MM7 for next year.  I haven't been able to find many reviews on it.

We are MM fans. I will say, it took a little getting used to, and DW briefly fell into the "am I making my kid dumb?" trap. But the answer would apparently be "NO!".

Also, DW is math-strong (until geometry LOL), and enjoyed teaching DD with MM. I don't know how it would be for a parent who is not good at, and enjoys, math.

Edited by tj_610
  • Like 1

Hi, SusanC! Do you mean after MM7? I would for sure have her take a full year of algebra between MM7 and geometry. Sorry if I misled you there. DD did MM5-7 in 5th through 7th grades, and just completed an 8th-grade year of DO algebra this week, having begun it in August 2016.

But AFTER DO algebra (or any other algebra year), DO geometry would be a good follow-up. DS did DO geometry, even though we are mixing things up a bit for DD next year and using this for geometry: https://myfunscience.com/teachers/bethany-barnosky/

I meant what will *your* dd be doing next. You gave an interesting answer with a provider I've never heard of. Be sure to report back on how it goes!

• Like 1

I meant what will *your* dd be doing next. You gave an interesting answer with a provider I've never heard of. Be sure to report back on how it goes!

Ah! Sorry. I'll try to remember to report back on our new geometry adventure.

I think DO algebra would be a good fit, given your similar situation to ours. It is a little pricey, but it is good and did provide just enough "distance" between DW and DD. There was still a lot of side-by-side oversight, but grading was outsourced, as was the video teaching. It is nice to be self-paced/asynchronous. DO charges per month, with a cap of I think 10 months for the course (DW keeps the books). We went 2-3 days past the 8th month just to take the final, and his bookkeeper nicely granted our request to pro-rate the last fractional month we needed. It's also nice that you can register for "honors" (which means a few extra homework problems that are a little harder but nothing AoPS-ish) and then dil down to "regular" after a few weeks. No cost difference.

• Like 1

anmom, is Saxon 1/2 pre-algebra? YMMV but we are very glad DD jumped right into algebra after MM7.

I think it is prealgebra. I am second guessing bc worried that he wouldn't be able to jump into algebra. Thought another year with more , But maybe he would be ready to move higher than that. Hence why I'm following this thread.

• Like 1

anmom, check these resources out. Printable pdf's. Quick, simple and almost fun way to assess your DS' readiness.

6th grade skills review - if these are too easy, move on to the next link:

http://www.livingston.k12.ky.us/userfiles/87/my%20files/0%20math%20minute%206.pdf?id=8196

7th grade skills review - if no real struggles, he may be ready for algebra:

http://teachers.d11.org/teachers/taylodr/jsaamathplc/Shared%20Documents/Math%20Minutes%20-%207th%20Grade.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 4/30/2017 at 6:23 PM, tj_610 said:

But AFTER DO algebra (or any other algebra year), DO geometry would be a good follow-up. DS did DO geometry, even though we are mixing things up a bit for DD next year and using this for geometry: https://myfunscience.com/teachers/bethany-barnosky/

I know this is an old thread but I’ve been trying to find reviews of this Geometry class at My Fun Science with Bethany Barnosky. Did you end up having a student take this? If so, how was it? 

7 hours ago, Nam2001 said:

I know this is an old thread but I’ve been trying to find reviews of this Geometry class at My Fun Science with Bethany Barnosky. Did you end up having a student take this? If so, how was it? 

Wow, blast from the past to get an email about this thread! 

Short answer: Yes, DD used MFS with Bethany Barnosky for geometry, and went on to use her for algebra 2. I definitely recommend her!

Long answer: DD homeschooled grades 4-10, math largely overseen by DW, who is math-strong (except geometry). We used Math Mammoth 5-7 in grades 5-7. DD used Derek Owens for algebra 1 in 8th grade, and did well. We switched to MFS with BB for geometry, because of my daughter's desire for a more interactive teacher and classroom experience, and DW's dislike of geometry. We liked Bethany enough to use her again for algebra 2. We now have some good data to be a little bit more objective regarding how effective all this approach was for DD's math readiness. DD is now enrolled in a small private Christian school for 11th grade. The school appeals to and attracts generally "above average" students. DD is taking precalculus there and doing VERY well. She says she thinks she is more prepared than most of her classmates (almost all of whom took their preceding math at this same good-quality school), and thinks a lot of the first few weeks were review from what she learned from MFS/BB (and my daughter is not the bragging sort). I asked DD about all this today, before replying to you.

BB does assign a lot of homework problems, even though it's only half the problems in the textbook. But these aren't graded. So we parents still get to be involved and remember that we are homeschooling! After seeing how things were going and hearing DD's frustration with the amount of problems, we cut the number she did in half (every other odd or even; 1/4 of the total textbook problems), and the results were great. So you can adjust this to fit the needs of your kid. I was able to help with geometry when DD needed a little extra, but I wasn't needed for algebra 2.

I will also commend Derek Owens, if it's a good fit for your kid. DS used him for geometry and precalc (he used VideoText for alg 1 and 2). DS is a math prodigy, and sailed through those. It suited his preference for streamlined quality teaching without needing a lot of help. DO is available by email, but BB is more interactive and available, by design. DS was clearly prepared well by DO; I can provide more details if wanted. But sometimes we don't give each other enough longer term feedback on these threads, and I just wanted to give an example of a kid who rocked it, and certainly wasn't made "math dumb" by homeschooling and using DO. For us, the decision for DO vs. BB was dependent on our kids' learning styles and preferences. 

Hop that helps!

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 5:40 PM, tj_610 said:

Wow, blast from the past to get an email about this thread! 

Short answer: Yes, DD used MFS with Bethany Barnosky for geometry, and went on to use her for algebra 2. I definitely recommend her!

Long answer: DD homeschooled grades 4-10, math largely overseen by DW, who is math-strong (except geometry). We used Math Mammoth 5-7 in grades 5-7. DD used Derek Owens for algebra 1 in 8th grade, and did well. We switched to MFS with BB for geometry, because of my daughter's desire for a more interactive teacher and classroom experience, and DW's dislike of geometry. We liked Bethany enough to use her again for algebra 2. We now have some good data to be a little bit more objective regarding how effective all this approach was for DD's math readiness. DD is now enrolled in a small private Christian school for 11th grade. The school appeals to and attracts generally "above average" students. DD is taking precalculus there and doing VERY well. She says she thinks she is more prepared than most of her classmates (almost all of whom took their preceding math at this same good-quality school), and thinks a lot of the first few weeks were review from what she learned from MFS/BB (and my daughter is not the bragging sort). I asked DD about all this today, before replying to you.

BB does assign a lot of homework problems, even though it's only half the problems in the textbook. But these aren't graded. So we parents still get to be involved and remember that we are homeschooling! After seeing how things were going and hearing DD's frustration with the amount of problems, we cut the number she did in half (every other odd or even; 1/4 of the total textbook problems), and the results were great. So you can adjust this to fit the needs of your kid. I was able to help with geometry when DD needed a little extra, but I wasn't needed for algebra 2.

I will also commend Derek Owens, if it's a good fit for your kid. DS used him for geometry and precalc (he used VideoText for alg 1 and 2). DS is a math prodigy, and sailed through those. It suited his preference for streamlined quality teaching without needing a lot of help. DO is available by email, but BB is more interactive and available, by design. DS was clearly prepared well by DO; I can provide more details if wanted. But sometimes we don't give each other enough longer term feedback on these threads, and I just wanted to give an example of a kid who rocked it, and certainly wasn't made "math dumb" by homeschooling and using DO. For us, the decision for DO vs. BB was dependent on our kids' learning styles and preferences. 

Hop that helps!

Thank you so much for this! Very helpful. We’ve got it narrowed down to two options next year - one being My Fun Science with Bethany. This definitely helps me think things through. 

• Like 1