Menu

Is Hoffman Academy sufficient for casual learner, or private lessons a must?

My 7yo has enjoyed plunking around on our digital piano, composing his own songs and learning some tunes via the built-in program. Without instruction, he has poor technique and isn't learning music theory this way, so I'd like to be intentional with his piano and music theory instruction. For this kid, I suspect it will be a hobby and not a life-long pursuit. Maybe he'll join a homeschool band or something if interest and opportunity presents itself.

I inquired about some private lessons, but my husband thinks at this age and stage, it is an unnecessary expense. He questions whether we can handle the year-long weekly commitment (and having to entertain/occupy my younger kids somewhere else), but also if we should commit to something that he might not want to pursue long-term as a weekly class with daily practice at this age. And yah again, the price tag he thought was a bit much for right now.

As an alternative, I had him do a few lessons of Hoffman Academy. We love it so far -- the methodology, Mr. Hoffman's demeanor, and how it will encourage such enjoyment of creating music. I will buy the downloads/join the 2.0 site when it launches to round it out.

It seems to me, if a student only wishes to have a casual, passing ability to play piano or make music, Hoffman Academy ought to be sufficient to meet that end. If he wanted to pursue further piano or another instrument, I'm thinking HA would lay a good foundation....right? 

Or, would it be more likely that without a private instructor seeing my child's weekly progress, he might develop bad habits that are hard to break? I would be actively involved with viewing the lessons and making sure he is following instructions with regard to form and technique, to the best of my own ability -- but my own musical background is just a few years of elementary-age violin in a group setting, a year or so of piano, and 4 years of choir. I'm not a musician.

I'm overthinking this, but I welcome any input. Is "good enough" fine here? Thank you!

My 7 year old is using Hoffman Academy, and I had the same concerns as you.  As an easy fix, I asked my aunt, who is a very accomplished piano player, if she would watch and listen to DS play over skype every month or so.  She is able to cheer him on, remind him of the importance of practice and gently correct his form all in a 10-15 minute skype call.  Sometimes after DS plays his newest song for her, they will play it together with my aunt improvising a duet part for herself.

By any chance do you know someone - family, friend, church, etc - that could occasionally listen to your DS play?

Wendy

• Like 1

I thought something similar. I took years of lessons and am a mediocre player. At this point in our lives, I knew I couldn't afford a fantastic teacher. I could maybe afford an older lady from church or something. So given that, the theory and method he is using is far superior, imo. I've even learned stuff, which isn't surprising since I have almost no theory training. My plan is to use it for the next few years and then continue with a quality teacher when dh is done with training (4 years or so). I honestly don't think it is going to hurt them. Hoffman Academy seems very thorough, in my semi-educated opinion.

Because I play myself, I felt confident I could listen in to the lessons and reinforce the concepts he teaches with him as the teacher and me as the tutor. It seems to be working well so far. If I didn't have that background, I think I'd feel a tad less comfortable and would probably want some outside input every now and then.

• Like 1

I'm considering this too as my 10 year old is interested. I took lessons all through school so I can provide decent support for beginning levels.

The current product vs the 2.0 edition confuses me a little. I think we might stick with the current edition as it is less money upfront.

• Like 1

We did Hoffman for a while (girls do flute.and.violin, I just wanted them to have some piano). I think it's a lovely way to judge interest and get a start. He won't get messed up with Hoffman. It is very slow, but enjoyable, and all instrument starts are slow from more advanced.player perspectives. :)

I had even some hand technique issues changed as a child around the age of 11 or so, moving to one of the best piano teachers in our city at that time. I played piano and organ in church as an adult...just for reference...give Hoffman a go, you won't break him. :) I think its wonderful he's interested and you'll find out if he'll practice enough to make investment in a live teacher worthwhile.

• Like 1

Thanks, all! He's really excited to learn more, and exactly as momacacia said, it can let us know if we ought to pursue private lessons at some point.

I'm not clear on the 2.0 option, but I'm sure they will have samples available when the time comes. I'll have to figure out if it makes more sense to buy a unit at a time or bundle the first 6 in light of the membership site launching soon.